Straight from HTC USA on why no SD slot exists

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
The majority of its competitors have what the s3 has, and don't sell as well. The reason is marketing. That is 100% the reason why samsung's sales have increased as rapidly as they have.

Take away the removable battery, the SD, reduce the screen size, and make it only16 gig and I'm willing to bet that no marketing in the world will reflect the numbers that they have now......not to mention the fact that the phone is available on every carrier....so of course it will reflect high sales compared to phones that are exclusive to one or two carriers. It sells well because its a darn good phone, it has a great big screen, it has great reviews and the bells and whistles.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Correction. Samsung's phones are successful in spite of the half baked SD card they have present, but fail to support in the OS.
/sdcard
/sdcard0
/sdcard-ext

Good luck getting that to work with 4.2 :-/

Are you saying that the microSD card in my Samsung Note 10.1 is going to stop working when I get the OTA upgrade for 4.2?

All these "explanations" for not having an SD slot are a bunch of bull-*cough*. Android is a Linux-based OS. There is no legitimate technical reason why it can't work just fine with an SD or microSD card.

Further, I have never had a single problem with the 32GB microSD in my Thunderbolt, the 64GB microSD in my Rezound, OR the 64GB microSD in my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Why does everybody keep knocking on SD slots in phones as being half-baked? They're no different than having a computer and adding an external HD. If you're not savvy enough to figure out how to set MS Word to save your documents to the external drive instead of the internal drive, you could get burned. Same for a phone. Just because ignorant users CAN screw themselves doesn't mean there's something fundamentally wrong with the technology. Nor is it a reason to take the technology away. When Google says "having SD cards makes thing too confusing," I want to say "fine, include an SD slot and just don't sell the device with an SD card already in it!" To those ignorant users you're worried about, the device will work exactly the same as if it had not SD slot. And the rest of us can actually do the things we want.

Even if you don't need an extra 32 or 64 gig of space, consider this: I really like (and have been saved by) the fact that if my phone dies, gets dropped in the toilet, or whatever, I can pull the microSD out and stick it in my replacement phone and not lose any of my pictures that I've taken or other stuff. And I don't have to pay Verizon for data usage to have it all automatically uploaded to anywhere or backed up by anybody. I just set my camera option to store pictures on the SD card instead of internal storage. Other apps where I create data I don't want to lose, ditto.

The bottom line is: Google wants you to store your data in their Cloud. They make their money on selling highly targeted advertising and they can only highly target those ads if they know all about you by reading all your emails, looking at where you live and where you work, looking at where you go when you're not at home or work (checkin much? get tagged in photos with geo data in them much? share your Location with Google Maps much?), examining your contact info, looking at your media usage patterns, looking at the Web searches you do and the links you click, looking at the Web Favorites you save in Chrome, looking at who you're conversing with and where those people live, etc., etc.. Verizon, AT&T, etc. want to make money off charging you for all that data transfer between your device and the Cloud. So, whatever hogwash Google (or HTC) uses to try to sell you a phone with little storage and no expandability, be aware that those are the real facts. Google and your carrier are making more money by selling you a phone with little storage and no expandability and they're pressuring the phone manufacturers to make those phones.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
ps. Samsung is big enough to buck this pressure and make good phones with the features the consumers want and will use - despite Google and the carriers. This begets them more sales, making them even more successful, allowing them even more freedom to buck Google. Unfortunately, HTC does not have this luxury and, right now, the pressure from Google and the carriers is slowly driving HTC under.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Verizon wants you to use the cloud so you go over on your data plan and pay thru the nose.

The Nottinator

This is what it boils down to not HTC not caring about customers it was Verizon who made them take the SD slot out because at the end of the day manufacturers sell phones to carriers not us

Sent from my PC36100

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Take away the removable battery, the SD, reduce the screen size, and make it only16 gig and I'm willing to bet that no marketing in the world will reflect the numbers that they have now......not to mention the fact that the phone is available on every carrier....so of course it will reflect high sales compared to phones that are exclusive to one or two carriers. It sells well because its a darn good phone, it has a great big screen, it has great reviews and the bells and whistles.

iPhone........blows your theory out of the water.

On one network, no removable battery, no sd card, 3.5" screen and 8 gig to start.......stellar sales.

DNA blows because of the low mah battery which would NOT last all day for me but even if it did you have no extra storage and cloud based storage doesn't cut it for me......that would kill the battery even faster with my usage.

The Nottinator

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizon wants you to use the cloud so you go over on your data plan and pay thru the nose.

The Nottinator

Why do these phones have expandable memory slots?

Samsung Galaxy S III
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Motorola DROID RAZR HD
Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD
Motorola DROID RAZR M
LG Spectrum II
Samsung Galaxy Stellar
Pantech Marauder
HTC DROID Incredible 4G LTE
LG Lucid

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Why do these phones have expandable memory slots?

Samsung Galaxy S III
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Motorola DROID RAZR HD
Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX HD
Motorola DROID RAZR M
LG Spectrum II
Samsung Galaxy Stellar
Pantech Marauder
HTC DROID Incredible 4G LTE
LG Lucid

We're talking about the DNA here, Verizon's new flagship phone........part of their shift to making money off of data plans not calling plans.

The Nottinator

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
We're talking about the DNA here, Verizon's new flagship phone.

The Nottinator

Do you have evidence that explicitly states that Verizon asked HTC to not include expandable memory knowing that two of the three models in HTC's halo line (the One series) shipped without expandable memory?

Last I checked most of the phones I listed were launched around the time Share Everything launched.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
iPhone........blows your theory out of the water.

On one network, no removable battery, no sd card, 3.5" screen and 8 gig to start.......stellar sales.

DNA blows because of the low mah battery which would NOT last all day for me but even if it did you have no extra storage and cloud based storage doesn't cut it for me......that would kill the battery even faster with my usage.

The Nottinator

Apples and oranges. iPhone was the only game in town when it first came out. There was no competition. And lots of people will buy Apple just because it's Apple.

The DNA is competing in a market where a new high end Android phone is coming out every other week. And HTC is playing catch up to Samsung and Moto. Consistently putting out products with inferior specs won't help. The Incredible 4G LTE was a total disappointment. And with a total of 11g of usable storage, so is this phone. Not to mention the inexplicably small battery. Whether it's HTC's fault or Verizon's fault, this phone is doomed from day one. It will be a flash in the pan.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Do you have evidence that explicitly states that Verizon asked HTC to not include expandable memory knowing that two of the three models in HTC's halo line (the One series) shipped without expandable memory?

Last I checked most of the phones I listed were launched around the time Share Everything launched.

The only thing I am going to say there is that whoever (Jerry or phil) did the review explicitly stated, 16gb because that is what verizon wants

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I am going to say there is that whoever (Jerry or phil) did the review explicitly stated, 16gb because that is what verizon wants

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Referring to expandable memory, not the 16GB internal memory.

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Love how people are dismissing the battery based on spec alone.

:) And I love how people are bending over backwards trying to defend what is clearly an inferior product. If you look at other high end android phones that are coming out, 2020 mah clearly is inferior. It may be adequate and maybe you can coax it through a full day or more, but it is clearly inferior to the competition (S3, Razr HD, Razr MAXX HD). As is the 16g non expandable storage. You aren't gonna catch up to the big boys by consistently putting out inferior products. That's all. I've been holding on to my OG Dinc waiting for the next great HTC phone and I'm tired of constantly being disappointed.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
:) And I love how people are bending over backwards trying to defend what is clearly an inferior product. If you look at other high end android phones that are coming out, 2020 mah clearly is inferior. It may be adequate and maybe you can coax it through a full day or more, but it is clearly inferior to the competition (S3, Razr HD, Razr MAXX HD). As is the 16g non expandable storage. You aren't gonna catch up to the big boys by consistently putting out niferior products. That's all. I've been holding on to my OG Dinc waiting for the next great HTC phone and I'm tired of constantly being disappointed.

..you won't know until you use it.

And the reviews so far say it's average.

via Phone Arena: HTC DROID DNA Review - Call quality, battery and Conclusion

We were desperately hoping for the best with battery life, but alas, it puts out nothing more than average results. Charging its 2,020 mAh battery, we?re able to fly by the 10 hour mark before it?s completely depleted ? thus hitting the tally we?re normally accustomed to seeing with most Verizon 4G LTE smartphones.

via Laptop Mag: HTC Droid DNA (Verizon Wireless) Review | Android Smartphone Reviews

The Droid DNA packs a 2,020 mAh battery that's not removable, but we saw pretty good endurance given this phone's huge display. During the LAPTOP Battery Test (continuous Web surfing over 4G LTE on 40 percent brightness), the DNA lasted 6 hours and 29 minutes. That's a half-hour longer than the 6:01 category average.

via CNET: HTC Droid DNA Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

I was surprised by the HTC Droid DNA's battery performance, as well. Despite the phone's large screen and swift performance, the handset's embedded 2,020mAh battery lasted for a long 8 hours and 43 minutes in the CNET Labs video battery drain test.

So far, reviews say battery life is average.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
1. They said because they confused customers, but what's confusing about it? You pop in a card, it asks if you want to save media to the card or internal storage. Just that simple.
No, the interface designer said that's why he doesn't wish to support them. The people who write the code have given a long and detailed explanation about why they are not supported. I've posted, and reposted it. Nobody cares enough to remember.

2. If Google takes the feature out, they no longer have a standard way of implementing it, so once again it's Google's fault and their bad decision.
Google said all along that it was a bad idea, and they would like to remove it.

3. How is removing 2 of your functional,useful advantages over the competition (Apple) ever a good idea?
Only people who don't understand how mount points and file systems work under Linux think SD cards are an advantage.

Android fanboys these days are hypocrites. As bad as they bashed Apple for no extended storage and a non removable battery, now they're using the same reasoning to defend android for doing the same. Removing those features was a bad move, period. Then as well as now
Some of us have said form the beginning that SD card support (especially apps 2 SD) was a horrible idea. Having to read countless threads like this when OEMs realize it and stop using them is a big part of the reason why. At a technical, OS level, SD cards are horrible. They can't be used as hardcoded storage because they can be removed. They can't have a secure filesystem because they need to be readable on Windows computers. They cause app developers to code for iOS first because OEMs don't have the skill or desire to implement them correctly. They put money directly in Microsoft's pocket with each device sold.

The good news is that Samsung won't ever be able to figure out how to implement them without spending money in engineering, and phones running 4.2 and higher just won't have them. Now if they would only get rid of the menu button so Android app development could advance.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon