neXus⁴ of DNA?

X0LARIUM

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Dilemma, quandary, confusion - call it what you may...

The neXus ⁴ is just amazing and I fell in love with it. But when you bring it into the real world, its a little...shall I say...weak.
The build quality is a bit of a question mark. The Verge easily cracked the back with one fall. Not that I throw around my phone all the time...but still.

Whereas the HTC DROID DNA has a big screen, awesome processing power and affordable too (I think..)

So...mind helping me out here...

Sent from my RaZr HD.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, unless you live in a world where physics don't apply, it does in out world, and glass drops if you break it (or frankly anything fragile for that matter :p). IMO the Nexus 4 is a much better phone, since it not only is a Nexus (updates straight from Google ad they release), and it doesn't have an unnecessarily high definition screen and miniscule battery weighing it down.

1080p sounds good on paper, but to me it sounds like a waste. Are those extra pixels going to be super noticable? I don't think I'd notice a difference, since the HOX screen is still the best I've ever seen. Just my two cents :)

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 4 is good and all but no LTE makes it a no go for me. Sure HSPA+ is fast and all but it's not that fast everywhere. Verizon should have the whole US covered by mid 2013. If you don't plan on romming, you should go with the DNA. If the bootloader was unlocked I would definitely be getting one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The DNA only has a 2020mah battery which is definately a no go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The DNA only has a 2020mah battery which is definately a no go.

Those that have it have said it has above average battery life. With these newer phones, you cannot go by the bare specs alone.

Last edited:

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
The only thing the N4 has over the DNA in my opinion is updates from google. But I'm sure it will be able to be unlocked and rooted soon. The DNA has a bigger and better screen and from what I hear a better camera, LTE etc. And don't count out the DNA's battery just yet...wait to hear some real world observations.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The only thing the N4 has over the DNA in my opinion is updates from google. But I'm sure it will be able to be unlocked and rooted soon. The DNA has a bigger and better screen and from what I hear a better camera, LTE etc. And don't count out the DNA's battery just yet...wait to hear some real world observations.

Exactly. If anything, battery life will be about the same as the nexus 4.

The only thing that will be interesting to see is the memory. I'd be getting one off contract to keep unlimited, so doing google music and streaming video isn't a big deal. But on a limited plan it could be trouble.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Dilemma, quandary, confusion - call it what you may...

The neXus ⁴ is just amazing and I fell in love with it. But when you bring it into the real world, its a little...shall I say...weak.
The build quality is a bit of a question mark. The Verge easily cracked the back with one fall. Not that I throw around my phone all the time...but still.

Whereas the HTC DROID DNA has a big screen, awesome processing power and affordable too (I think..)

So...mind helping me out here...

Sent from my RaZr HD.

FYI - glass may break if you drop it.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Those that have it have said it has above average battery life. With these newer phones, you cannot go by the bare specs alone.

Well going by specs is all we can do. They said the razr had above average battery life. I got crap battery life in the real world. Same with every android phone I've had pretty much. My note has a 2,500mah battery and a slightly bigger screen I get about 2.5-3 hours screen on time. I would expect with a 5 inch screen and a 25% decrease in battery capacity that it wouldn't be that great.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Well going by specs is all we can do. ...

No it isn't. That is the point. We can wait for ACTUAL reviews from people with ACTUAL DNAs reporting ACTUAL battery life. It is an option. Really it is :cool: . What is the point of bashing something that hasn't been tested fully yet (especially when the only very early reviews seem to contradict your point and seem to imply decent to good battery life).

Maybe it will have bad battery life, maybe it won't. Guessing about it servers no purpose. We will all KNOW soon enough ...

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
No it isn't. That is the point. We can wait for ACTUAL reviews from people with ACTUAL DNAs reporting ACTUAL battery life. It is an option. Really it is :cool: . What is the point of bashing something that hasn't been tested fully yet (especially when the only very early reviews seem to contradict your point and seem to imply decent to good battery life).

Maybe it will have bad battery life, maybe it won't. Guessing about it servers no purpose. We will all KNOW soon enough ...

Ya these early battery review mean nothing. Each person sets their phone up different and does different things with it. These review "o ya I got 27hrs yesterday I browsed the web sent some texts made a 15 minute phone call this battery is awesome!!!" Mean absolutely nothing.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
With a bigger screen smaller battery and same hardware as the nexus 4/optimus G wouldn't u expect the stress test battery life to be at the best equal to those phones? But more than likely worse?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
With a bigger screen smaller battery and same hardware as the nexus 4/optimus G wouldn't u expect the stress test battery life to be at the best equal to those phones? But more than likely worse?

No. Because HTC has shown in the past that it can put together some fantastic power management software.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Ya these early battery review mean nothing. Each person sets their phone up different and does different things with it. These review "o ya I got 27hrs yesterday I browsed the web sent some texts made a 15 minute phone call this battery is awesome!!!" Mean absolutely nothing.

Those reviews mean a lot actually. Especially if they're normal people and not running battery tests in a lab.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Those reviews mean a lot actually. Especially if they're normal people and not running battery tests in a lab.

Means a lot until u pick the phone up and use it completely different than the reviewer and go "I only got 12 hours of battery life should I send my phone back?"

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Means a lot until u pick the phone up and use it completely different than the reviewer and go "I only got 12 hours of battery life should I send my phone back?"

So? Real world reviews from normal people give you a better indication of battery life than any reviews you'll read on a tech site.

Why do you seem intent on concluding that the battery life for this sucks when we have real world users already telling us it doesn't?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So? Real world reviews from normal people give you a better indication of battery life than any reviews you'll read on a tech site.

Why do you seem intent on concluding that the battery life for this sucks when we have real world users already telling us it doesn't?

Not saying it sucks I'm saying I'm expecting it to be average.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
No. Because HTC has shown in the past that it can put together some fantastic power management software.

+1.

Switched over from an S3, and the battery life here is waaay better than I heard it would be. Heck, I even get better battery than my S3. Quite impressive, if you ask me. While I'm still stumped as to why HTC crammed that many pixels into a screen and slapped that tiny battery in there to power it, I think HTC has an idea of what they're up to.

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Haven't we heard this song and dance with every new phone/CPU/gpu/screen that comes out?. O ya this new CPU is going to cut down on power by 25% which will give u exceptional battery life bla bla bla. I have had over 10 android phones and most of those phones dating back to the OG Droid and Droid x up to the note the razr and gnex would all get me between 2-3 hours screen on time. Progress has been made but every time a new phone comes we are hearing of how great the battery life and all these reviews come out omg I got 32 hours! And then when the phone drops in stores ppl get it realize its equal to most of the other options and is average and nobody says anything after that.

X0LARIUM

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to all the people who replied.

I was considering the DNA cause of the screen. Fantastic for reading ebook and magazines. Plus, I don't know what's happening, but all the companies seem to launch a device that is globally unlocked. Good for me (I live in India). But the battery is a serious issue. I remember one of the devices had such a bad battery life that it had to be recalled. I don't remember the name (could anyone oblige?). It had a similar situation, big screen, LTE and battery was a big screw up. Also, rest of the hardware seems fine, from what I am reading.

the neXus is just plain sexy, but an additional .3" wont do harm..would it?