How MAny Of You Are Going To Cut Off That Charging Port Cover?

Cutting Off The Silly USB Charging Cover?

• Total voters

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
With the frequency with which these smartphones (all of them, not just the DNA) need to be recharged it seems like the small plastic cover over the usb charging port is really just a needless annoyance.

I'm thinking that I may just pull this out as soon as I get my DNA on Wed. Wondering what you guys are going to do with this.

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
My wife has the HTC Rhyme, which also has a little cover over the USB port. I too thought it was stupid and figured it would be broken off within a month. However, her phone came with a dock that charges the phone with the little pogo pins, so she rarely charges using a USB cable. I suspect that was part of the thinking with this phone since it supports wireless charging. I'll be leaving mine on and hopefully doing most of my charging with a wireless charger.

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
My wife has the HTC Rhyme, which also has a little cover over the USB port. I too thought it was stupid and figured it would be broken off within a month. However, her phone came with a dock that charges the phone with the little pogo pins, so she rarely charges using a USB cable. I suspect that was part of the thinking with this phone since it supports wireless charging. I'll be leaving mine on and hopefully doing most of my charging with a wireless charger.

+1 On the wireless charging. Just ordered the Nokia wireless pad from Verizon.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I will definitely have a charging pad for home, so it all depends on the car dock I can get... If it requires the door to be removed, then so be it.
But I'm really hoping for a dock that utilizes wireless charging.

Sent from my HTC Evo via Tapatalk

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Off it comes, might even leave it at vZ as a tip.
Since I'll be using OTG and charging at night from a cord (at least at first). I've had these before.. just a pain in / out..
I also usually bump charge in the car with my car chargers, no i won't miss it. They are not on many phones today so it's mostly form than function.
That said with the $$ I save from not getting the note 2 we'll be getting wireless chargers, prob 3 (2 for Broom/ 1 for downstairs)

Matto2007

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty sure the flap is for the ipx5 water resistance rating. Although I cannot find anything noting the DNA as having the same rating as the butterfly but assume so. I will be leaving mine on as I plan on charging via wireless most of the time.

NoEviL

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the reviews for wireless charging. If I opt to not use wireless charging I will probably take it off and buy a Otterbox Defender case which would have a protective flap for it anyways.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Off it comes, might even leave it at vZ as a tip.
Since I'll be using OTG and charging at night from a cord (at least at first). I've had these before.. just a pain in / out..
I also usually bump charge in the car with my car chargers, no i won't miss it. They are not on many phones today so it's mostly form than function.
That said with the $$ I save from not getting the note 2 we'll be getting wireless chargers, prob 3 (2 for Broom/ 1 for downstairs)

I bump charged the heck out of my rezound, and, I would have with the DNA, but, since, we were suppose to test battery life, I didn't. The big surprise is that the DNA can go quite a while and not chew up the battery. I will keep the cover, it isn't too bad.

Pottersmash

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty sure the flap is for the ipx5 water resistance rating. Although I cannot find anything noting the DNA as having the same rating as the butterfly but assume so. I will be leaving mine on as I plan on charging via wireless most of the time.
This. Im keeping mine on for waterproof rating since I've dropped my phone in water 2x by accident. I'll be using wireless charging and Airdroid for transfers.

Last edited:

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
+1 On the wireless charging. Just ordered the Nokia wireless pad from Verizon.
have you had experience with the Nokia qi charging pad/stand? I have a couple questions if anyone can help answer them that will be great.
1. will I be able to charge my phone via wireless even with a case on? like an otter box commuter?
2. have anyone use the nokia charging stand? I was wondering if the phone needs to line up at a certain spot for it it charge. Don't want to buy it than find out later it won't work because DNA is too tall and the qi spot doesn't line up.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
have you had experience with the Nokia qi charging pad/stand? I have a couple questions if anyone can help answer them that will be great.
1. will I be able to charge my phone via wireless even with a case on? like an otter box commuter?

Pretty sure the wireless charging won't work with a case on the phone.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure the wireless charging won't work with a case on the phone.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini

Wireless charging works the silicon case, Verizon sells. My experience with the Nokia charging pad was not positive, but, it could have been a lemon. They are very popular, and, there was not another one available for me to try. I would doubt wireless charging will work with an Otterbox commuter. If it did work, I think they would advertise it, and, they do not on their web site.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't like to keep my phone naked... >_< and as for now there aren't many choices out yet. Guess I will get a verizon one for now and wait for some better cases to come out.

Murad Habib

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
With the frequency with which these smartphones (all of them, not just the DNA) need to be recharged it seems like the small plastic cover over the usb charging port is really just a needless annoyance.

I'm thinking that I may just pull this out as soon as I get my DNA on Wed. Wondering what you guys are going to do with this.

Hey buddy can you give me the cover you were about to ripping off? My phone has stolen it somewhere :)

dnafog

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
My cover just fell off after 15 months
The nub still bugs me but I think I'll keep it to remind me how it used to keep things clean.
:cool:

kpluck

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I have been using wireless charging for the most part (got my DNA shortly after they first became available). Although the decision was made for me the other day when the cover broke off. I wonder how long it would have lasted if I wasn't using wireless most of time? Not long I imagine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21