Screen Protector for DNA

jayhawk815

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I went ahead and ordered the screen protector from PhotoDon. I'll be sure to share my experience with it. I ordered the Crystal Clear Film with Oleophobic coating.

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've just used the ones from Verizon. They look great for a while then start scratching and getting less clear. Will be upgrading but haven't decided yet. I don't use a case, so no way I'd go without a screen protector.

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Just received my Photodon today- came in two days. When I hold one up to the DNA, it doesn't cover the whole screen. There is a decent size border around the whole protector. The above picture didn't have that. On one hand, it is good that pinching a case won't dislodge the protector. However, I was hoping it would be almost undetectable. I don't know if I should return it? Shame- it looks decent.

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Just received my Photodon today- came in two days. When I hold one up to the DNA, it doesn't cover the whole screen. There is a decent size border around the whole protector. The above picture didn't have that. On one hand, it is good that pinching a case won't dislodge the protector. However, I was hoping it would be almost undetectable. I don't know if I should return it? Shame- it looks decent.

I installed my second one today (the first had a good cut but I had transplanted it a few times). This second one doesn't have as good as a cut as the first and is bubbled up around all of the edges a good bit.

tytyjyny.jpg

y7eby9y5.jpg

As opposed to:

vepe6aru.jpg

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I installed my second one today (the first had a good cut but I had transplanted it a few times). This second one doesn't have as good as a cut as the first and is bubbled up around all of the edges a good bit.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/18/tytyjyny.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/18/y7eby9y5.jpg

As opposed to:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/18/vepe6aru.jpg

Ahh both of those would be unusable to me. I am anal about bubbles on my screen protector.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Ahh both of those would be unusable to me. I am anal about bubbles on my screen protector.

I actually reused that same screen protector on a second device (steamy bathroom trick works wonders) and eliminated the adhesion problem along both sides and the bottom, though the top still exhibits it to some extent. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. I'm generally liking this protector.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Uh, I'm on my second Dna and my first one got a scratch within the first month, gorilla glass is bull

I would copy and post the same thing I've said in every single thread stating something along the lines of that, but I'm too lazy so here's the bottom line of it:

Gorilla glass is scratch RESISTANT, not scratch proof. It cannot be scratched by keys, knives, razor blades, coins, etc. It can, however, be scratched by rocks and sand, small particles of which can very easily be found in dust on your tables, in your pockets, etc.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I actually reused that same screen protector on a second device (steamy bathroom trick works wonders) and eliminated the adhesion problem along both sides and the bottom, though the top still exhibits it to some extent. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. I'm generally liking this protector.

I'm definitely thinking of purchasing a new type of protector opposed to the Verizon branded. Looking for something oleophobic.

Tyler Cohn

May 2, 2013
Visit site
My first droid dna I some how randomly got a deep scratch on it in the first week of owning the phone, so I don't trust the gorilla 2 glass what so ever

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm definitely thinking of purchasing a new type of protector opposed to the Verizon branded. Looking for something oleophobic.

i have Verizon one also and its such a fingerprint magnet. Fits fine and all, but I have to clean it off after minimal use constantly.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
i have Verizon one also and its such a fingerprint magnet. Fits fine and all, but I have to clean it off after minimal use constantly.

I ended up taking mine off. Been off for a month now, no scratches, but the glass isn't any less of an oil magnet. Just easier to clean.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I ended up taking mine off. Been off for a month now, no scratches, but the glass isn't any less of an oil magnet. Just easier to clean.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Yeah, I thought of taking mine off also, but I tend to keep it in my pockets and dont want to risk scratching it at this point. But yeah, it takes some serious cleaning to get the screen protector to not look like a oily mess.

Protonus

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I recently talked to SGP again and they confirmed still no plans for a DNA screen protector.
I believe the issue here is the downward curved edges of the screen. The Steinheil protectors are a semi rigid protector, with a dry adhesive. That is what makes them so awesome but, they can't adhere to a curved surface well or at all.
They ran into this with the Galaxy Nexus, it's whole screen is curved. They ended up only selling their Olephobic protector which is more flexible, and, they opted not to protect the entire screen.to reduce the chance of lift A lot of people didn't understand this and kept complaining. I'm not surprised they don't want to go thru with that again.

Any dry install semi rigid protector will have this issue if it tries to cover the whole display.

I'm going to order the smaller HTC One protector from Steinheil / SGP. Because of it's speakers above/below the screen, protectors for it (the One) are rectangular and smaller than we would need. It will only protect the visible area of the display, but it's way better than nothing. I'll let ya know how it works out.

I would never ever, ever even consider putting a screen protector over this or any other smartphone screen. Really does nothing to protect anything and even the best make the screen look opaque and dull.

You are completely and dangerously wrong about this. Please don't spread misinformation.
1.) Gorilla glass, or any other type of fortified glass, is simply SCRATCH RESISTANT. It is still, VERY easy to scratch, if you use something hard enough. Every day sand, will scratch it quickly in your pocket. As soon as it's scratched, the tension is relieved in the glass that makes it fortified. And then, it can shatter. Ask almost anyone who has broken a screen in their phone, if they had a screen protector on, and they'll say no. As soon as the glass is scratched, it's almost as easy to break as any other glass. It is VERY important to protect your screen from scratches as such, if you don't want it to break.

2.) Good screen protectors (dry install, dry adhesive, semi rigid) like Spigen / SGP / Stenheil Ultra crystal are INVISIBLE on the screen when applied correctly. You cannot tell they are there, period. They do not effect the quality of the screen AT ALL. They look and feel exactly like the glass they are sitting on. Trust me, I've installed dozens of them. When installed well, no dust, no orange peel, no visible edges using a case. They are perfect/flawless. Your comments are based on the paint protection style films like Zagg invisible shield. These are a whole different class of product.