Puzzled By Battery Concerns

deltaden

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious as to the amount of battery questions in this forum. With the popularity of Smartphones and personal gadgets, I can't see anyone being that far from a power source to recharge.

Don't most of us have car charge adapters and/or USB cords hanging from a nearby PC during our daily work or play routines?

How many here are that isolated during a workday or off-day and not able to recharge after a few hours or so?

I may be missing something, but I'm just curious. Thanks for any replies.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
My concern with the battery isn't my normal day, it is when I play a 5 hour round of golf and want to use a gps for that. It is when I spend 10 hours travelling cross country for work or when my family spends the day at an amusement park or sporting activity after sporting activity. I got a DInc 4G LTE after a OG Dinc, TB, and Gnex. It is the first phone I've had in 3 years I can go all day away from a charger, and it is extremely nice to be able to do so. 80% of the time I can charge whenever I want to. But I want a phone that will last when I need it to for the other 20% when I cannot get to a charger. I pre-ordered this yesterday after waffling on it for a bit due to the battery.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
My concern with the battery isn't my normal day, it is when I play a 5 hour round of golf and want to use a gps for that. It is when I spend 10 hours travelling cross country for work or when my family spends the day at an amusement park or sporting activity after sporting activity. I got a DInc 4G LTE after a OG Dinc, TB, and Gnex. It is the first phone I've had in 3 years I can go all day away from a charger, and it is extremely nice to be able to do so. 80% of the time I can charge whenever I want to. But I want a phone that will last when I need it to for the other 20% when I cannot get to a charger. I pre-ordered this yesterday after waffling on it for a bit due to the battery.

Are you saing they don't have Car charging adapters on golf carts ! Just kidding...

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I could live with the battery. The 11g of usable storage is the deal killer for me.

Also, I've been to a couple Verizon stores testing out the Razr Maxx HD. Compared to my droid incredible, it's a BIG phone. And the DNA is significantly bigger than the Maxx. Too big for my tastes.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Are you saing they don't have Car charging adapters on golf carts ! Just kidding...

Using your smart phone as a golf gps really drains your battery. I tried golflogix on my rezound, but, I gave it up, partly due to battery, but, largely, because, I had a basic golf gps device, and, golflogix didn't run very well on my rezound. The Droid DNA is truly a next generation LTE device, and, with the new generation, I think the battery efficiency has gone way up.

NOTE: I have charging stuff everywhere, and, with the DNA, I am forcing myself to learn that it does not need to be constantly charged.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the poster about the 20% of the time. Most days at work, I can charge it on my desk. At home I can charge. In the car, can charge. But my trip to Disneyworld last week? No charger in the park. I CAN'T live with a phone that can't last me a full day. There are times where you just can't be tethered to a charger, and in that case it's NOT mobile anymore. The history of HTC leads me to believe this phone will not last a full day. Had to OG Dinc, and now a rezound. While the rezound seems better managing power, the high resolution screen zaps that extra power. With the DNA being even larger screen, and even higher resolution, I feel that extra battery power will be zapped by the screen, much like the ipad 3 vs ipad 2. The ipad 3 has a much larger battery than the 2, but it's retina display makes the battery life in time equal in both devices. I worry this will be the case with this phone as well. While no SD card is disappointing, it's not a deal breaker for me. I still have unlimited data, and won't give it up ever. I will pay full price for a device.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the point of a cell phone/smartphone to be mobile? I don't understand the question.

I think the op is making the point that battery size is irrelevant, since, most of us can plug into a power source at some during the day. But, as atakin777 writes, that is not always possible. I have experienced the same thing, where my battery dropped below 10%, and, I didn't have anywhere to plug in.

I think battery size is becoming less important, as, mobile phones get more energy efficient. In most cases, a bigger battery is better, but, how big of a battery do you really need? A 4000 mAH batter would last longer than a 2020 mAH battery, but, it is worth the price and size? To some users, the answer would be yes, but, I would bet Verizon did a marketing study, and, that is how they came up with the specs for the DNA. (ie. the battery for the DNA is sized appropriately for most users).

I like what HTC did with the DNA, instead of bigger battery, they made a more efficient phone.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Because better options exist, so we know that manufacturers are deliberately deciding to skimp on the battery in favor of other features, when consumers know that when your battery is dead a phone's features do not matter. People are especially sensitive because a lot of them were burned by the Thunderbolt battery and thus don't trust HTC.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the poster about the 20% of the time. Most days at work, I can charge it on my desk. At home I can charge. In the car, can charge. But my trip to Disneyworld last week? No charger in the park. I CAN'T live with a phone that can't last me a full day. There are times where you just can't be tethered to a charger, and in that case it's NOT mobile anymore. The history of HTC leads me to believe this phone will not last a full day. Had to OG Dinc, and now a rezound. While the rezound seems better managing power, the high resolution screen zaps that extra power. With the DNA being even larger screen, and even higher resolution, I feel that extra battery power will be zapped by the screen, much like the ipad 3 vs ipad 2. The ipad 3 has a much larger battery than the 2, but it's retina display makes the battery life in time equal in both devices. I worry this will be the case with this phone as well. While no SD card is disappointing, it's not a deal breaker for me. I still have unlimited data, and won't give it up ever. I will pay full price for a device.

The DNA is way better in terms of battery life than the rezound. It is much more energy efficient, so, it runs longer and cooler than the rezound. I have compared both. The rezound was a 1st generation LTE device, and the DNA is truly a next generation LTE device. The rezound at idle still sucked a fair amount of juice, the DNA hardly sucks any juice while idling.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Because better options exist, so we know that manufacturers are deliberately deciding to skimp on the battery in favor of other features, when consumers know that when your battery is dead a phone's features do not matter. People are especially sensitive because a lot of them were burned by the Thunderbolt battery and thus don't trust HTC.

When you tarnish your reputation as HTC did, with the Thunderbolt, it is hard to earn that back. HTC will have some tough sledding, shedding their reputation for poor battery life, but, if consumers are willing to give them another shot, I think they can change their reputation for the better.

bsSkunkApe

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The DNA is way better in terms of battery life than the rezound. It is much more energy efficient, so, it runs longer and cooler than the rezound. I have compared both. The rezound was a 1st generation LTE device, and the DNA is truly a next generation LTE device. The rezound at idle still sucked a fair amount of juice, the DNA hardly sucks any juice while idling.

It's good to hear this. I'm coming from the Vivid which is similar to the Rezound. By all accounts this will be an exciting upgrade.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

thefireguy286

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

Everyone here has good points. My experience has shown those long days at the amusement park or camping trips leaves me too busy to concern myself with my phone most of the time that it idles along just fine, but they are important reasons to have a sizable battery. I agree though in todays age, charging is everywhere it seems, even in cafe's and airports. Wireless charging in the DNA means charging on your desk is easier too. My recommendation is if it's a big concern for those 15% of the times you will be away extended, get one of those mUSB Power Packs. They're small and handy enough to keep in a wife's purse or golf cart and give you piece of mind. May not be the most elegant solution, but you'd be carrying a second battery anyway if you had something like the GS3 for the same situation.

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
If I was at an amusement park, I wouldn't be on my phone! My EVO lasts me all day when I need it to! And I always sneak in a charge when I can! You people with all these battery concerns must be really important folks! And if you are that important, you shouldn't be at an amusement park anyway!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
The DNA got 6 hours on the streaming video test from Engadget. That is worse than galaxy S3 at 9 hours, Note2 of 10.5 hours, and of course 14.5 on the Maxx.i am shocked at how many people on here defend the decision of htc/vzw and think it is ok to always have to have a charger handy. It defies logic to not want the biggest battery allowable in a phone. After owning a Maxx, I simply cannot go back to anything less. ALL DAY USE. all day! I freaking hammer this thing all day, my radios are never off, my gps is always on, I stream my hometown morning radio show every morning, pandora throughout the day, heavy email and web use, navigation, heavy tethering, etc I don't have to worry about any freaking charger, extra battery, charging pack,etc. why would someone NOT want that? Even if you don't need it? Buy ing this phone tells htc it is ok. I will not be purchasing it strictly based on battery. I really don't care about SD but 16/11 gb is mind blowing mistake, but I could have lived with it. The other thing that would have affected my decision to purchase would have been radio performance. The moto is the best performing radio I have ever owned. I have signal in places I have never had in the 8 years I live here, and it will hold a weak signal better tower to tower.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
If I was at an amusement park, I wouldn't be on my phone! My EVO lasts me all day when I need it to! And I always sneak in a charge when I can! You people with all these battery concerns must be really important folks! And if you are that important, you shouldn't be at an amusement park anyway!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I am that important! My phone is my lifeline to my family and primary method by which i make money. And it is crazy how people just accept it.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Verizon Gnex that has a 3800 extended battery. I still can only get about a days worth but only 1.50 hours of on screen time. This phone will be an improvement even with a 2020mah battery.

Spider210

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Verizon Gnex that has a 3800 extended battery. I still can only get about a days worth but only 1.50 hours of on screen time. This phone will be an improvement even with a 2020mah battery.

I have a vzw nexus as well. Let me guess you got some junk extended battery. I have the orig 2100 mfg extended battery and do just fine .

4.1 bugless beast

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353273746549.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353273746549.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 19
  • uploadfromtaptalk1353273757417.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353273757417.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 19

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
...i am shocked at how many people on here defend the decision of htc/vzw and think it is ok to always have to have a charger handy. It defies logic to not want the biggest battery allowable in a phone. After owning a Maxx, I simply cannot go back to anything less. ALL DAY USE. ...

It sounds like the MAxx is for you. I am not sure who you are arguing with at this point then. It's interesting that you choose one of the 2 or 3 sites citing bad battery life while ignoring the 10 other sites citing good battery life, and ignoring people WHO HAVE the phones such as posters in this VERY thread who say the battery life is not bad. If the phone is not for you , then so be it. But don't assume that the phone has bad battery life because of Engadget alone. Let's wait on real users testing it in real use. No phone is gonna get MAXX battery life at this point, so you have the right phone for you. The DNA should do just fine for me and others it seems ...

The OP is asking about folks who can't be by chargers during the day. Many people can be by them most of the time nowadays, though not everyone can. The overall point about everyone being so worried about battery life IF they can be near chargers is quite a valid one IMO ...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol