According to The Verge

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
You realize this article has been posted in numerous other threads as well as many other articles that state the opposite.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
They were wrong as in? The battery is great?

There are testers here, and other review sites saying they are getting above average life. So far seems to be comparable to the S3 from what I have read around here.

Is the Verge the same site that gave the S3 like a rating of 8 or something for battery life that was like just over 4 hours on a video loop? Then with the same test the DNA lasted slightly longer than the S3 but only got a score of 4 for some reason?

Anyways, there seem to be more positive then negative reviews so far. But it is still early to make final judgment.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Rezound - 1 hr 52 (1,620) = 7
LTE stream NFL Mobile nonstop at full volume

Droid RAZR - 3 hr 48 (1,780) = 7
"our rundown test"

Droid 4 - 3 hr 56 (1,785) = 4
Verge Battery Test

DI 4G LTE - "just over 4 hours" (1,700) = 6
YouTube streaming over Wi-Fi at 65 percent brightness

GS3 - 4 hr 12 (2,100) = 8
Verge Battery Test

One X - 4 hr 22 (1,800) = 7
video streaming at max volume and brightness on both Wi-Fi and 3G

Droid DNA - 4 hr 25 (2,020) = 4
Verge Battery Test

Galaxy Note - 4 hr 45 (2,500) = 8
"browser-based battery rundown test"

RAZR M - 4 hr 54 (2,000) = 6
Verge Battery Test

Atrix HD - 4 hr 56 (1,780) = 7

San Diego - 5 hr 26 (1,460) = 8
Verge Battery Test

Xperia U - 5 hr 58 (1,320) = 9
Verge Battery Test

Droid RAZR MAXX - 6 hr 43 (3,300) = 10
"our rundown test"

RAZR HD - 9 hr 35 (2,530) = 9
Verge Battery Test

RAZR HD MAXX - 12 hr 43 (3,300) = 10
Verge Battery Test

Last edited:

doogie1

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

Droid 4 - 3 hr 56 (0,000) = 4

Thanks for this.. Wonder if they just had sub-par testing to come up with a score of 4? When the DNA has obviously done as good/better than some of the high end, comparable smartphones. Obviously not including the Razr Maxx series or Note.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this.. Wonder if they just had sub-par testing to come up with a score of 4? When the DNA has obviously done as good/better than some of the high end, comparable smartphones. Obviously not including the Razr Maxx series or Note.

These were just from the reviews that even mentioned being tested and having an actual number. From what I've read, they don't actually even use their battery test to always gauge it, or they do, but don't mention it in all their reviews. Then going through these, they aren't even consistent with all the tests they do show. Maybe the battery test they do now is a new thing, I don't follow The Verge, but the Verge Battery Test "cycles through a series of websites and high-res images with the screen at 65 percent brightness." Some of the reviews were at 100% Some at 50% Some were video streaming on LTE with max brightness and audio (Rezound).

It lasts that long in a stress test, but said "In daily use, it frequently tapped out long before the day was over. It?s certainly a phone that requires a trip to the battery charger at least once, possibly even twice, during the day to make it to the evening." This also brings up what "daily use" was, and if it was the same as other phones to make comparisons to them, but there must have been something they were doing, or that they had, that just chugged that thing. Reading the other phones, I vaguely remember that at least the large majority of them went through a whole day, but this one didn't, and, on the contrary, most others have said just the opposite.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I'm willing to bet it's more different reviewers reviewing different phones at different times of the year, all after having recently handled different phones. It's going to color your perceptions, especially when their scores (if not the test results) are completely subjective. For example, why did the original Droid Razr Maxx get a 10, but the Razr HD (with better battery life) only score a 9? Is it because the reviewer was already aware of the Maxx HD and its insane battery life and couldn't justify giving them both 10s?

I do tend to spend a fair amount of time on The Verge, and this is not the first time they've given widely varying scores for similar performance of different devices. At this point I usually read the review and just use the numbers at the end for overall impressions.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This is an example of why it's never a good reason to base your purchases on one source for reviews. With respect to battery life, daily usage and testing will vary from reviewer to reviewer. While some sources tend to be a little more credible and are given more weight, it's always best to get a second (or third or fourth) opinion.

That being said, my consensus after reading most of the reviews out there seem to be that the battery will be "okay" on day to day use. Meaning if you're a heavy user, it'll probably die a bit more quickly than most smartphones out there and you'll probably need to charge at least once during the day. For some, that might be acceptable. For others, you may want to wait another six months for other OEMs to catch up in the 1080p race that maybe more apt to putting in a bigger battery (and of course, optimize battery efficiency).

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Yea seriously.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/19/htc-droid-dna-review/
Battery Life under "The Good."
"my average battery charge lasted 21 hours. Coming from a VZW Galaxy Nexus (with extended battery), I?d say this device?s battery manages to handle the screen size and LTE well."

I believe The Verge a lot more than Droid Life. All the negatives they mentioned about the RAZR MAXX HD turned out to be accurate. They were just about the only place that said anything negative about the build quality of the MAXX HD, and they were correct (I have the MAXX HD, and what they said about the metal pieces not joining up perfectly and stuff was accurate).

The Verge described its methods in detail, and they sound reliable. They did the same test they do on other phones, and got worse results. Saying "my average battery charge lasted 21 hours" means nothing. My MAXX HD would last 4 days if I used it less but I'm not claiming it has "4 day battery life." The Verge's result also simply make sense - this thing has a weaker battery than the GS3 and has a bigger, higher res screen.

Endgadget also mentioned the battery life was worse than the One X, which itself isn't exactly a workhorse. That's two of the most mainstream tech blogs. I'll go with those over fan sites.

thefireguy286

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I believe The Verge a lot more than Droid Life. All the negatives they mentioned about the RAZR MAXX HD turned out to be accurate. They were just about the only place that said anything negative about the build quality of the MAXX HD, and they were correct (I have the MAXX HD, and what they said about the metal pieces not joining up perfectly and stuff was accurate).

The Verge described its methods in detail, and they sound reliable. They did the same test they do on other phones, and got worse results.

Actually no they didn't, and that's been the primary issue. Saying they ran their test at 65% brightness is meaningless and they don't run it on all phones. They rated their entire Nexus 4 battery test on nothing more than feeling. Even by their test, it outlasted the GS3 so who's kidding who. They have no consistency in their 'testing' at all. I like the Verge. But considering the wide array of reviews there's falls as an outlier more than the norm. I'll take screenshots of proof any day over someone's worded opinion.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Actually no they didn't, and that's been the primary issue. Saying they ran their test at 65% brightness is meaningless and they don't run it on all phones. They rated their entire Nexus 4 battery test on nothing more than feeling. Even by their test, it outlasted the GS3 so who's kidding who. They have no consistency in their 'testing' at all. I like the Verge. But considering the wide array of reviews there's falls as an outlier more than the norm. I'll take screenshots of proof any day over someone's worded opinion.

You make good points about inconsistency. But the Verge in general tends to be harsher about flaws, and their characterizations tend to be accurate. I think they were very accurate about the pluses and minuses of the phone I have, the MAXX HD. Almost every site raved about the "great build quality" of it, while The Verge accurately pointed out that the build is actually flawed. I chose it anyway because of the battery and a few other things, but they weren't wrong.

I don't think review is as much of an outlier as you're saying though - they use stronger phrasing than most to say the battery life is weak, but a lot of sites have basically said it's efficient when idling but the screen burns it out fast.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
LTE stream NFL Mobile nonstop at full volume

"our rundown test"

Droid 4 - 3 hr 56 (1,785) = 4
Verge Battery Test

Verge Battery Test

video streaming at max volume and brightness on both Wi-Fi and 3G

Verge Battery Test

"browser-based battery rundown test"

Verge Battery Test

Verge Battery Test

Verge Battery Test

"our rundown test"

Verge Battery Test

Verge Battery Test

good lord the razr hd and razr maxx hd kill it on battery life. obviously the huge batteries are the main reason, but I wonder how much of that is due to the very lean skin over stock vs. Sense and TW.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
For example, why did the original Droid Razr Maxx get a 10, but the Razr HD (with better battery life) only score a 9? Is it because the reviewer was already aware of the Maxx HD and its insane battery life and couldn't justify giving them both 10s?

Yes, there would be no point to rate them both a 10, because that would be saying that they are pretty much the same thing. The only major difference is the battery and if you see they both got 10's, then why would someone pay more to get the Maxx when they got the same ratings?

Darth Duane

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You make good points about inconsistency. But the Verge in general tends to be harsher about flaws, and their characterizations tend to be accurate. I think they were very accurate about the pluses and minuses of the phone I have, the MAXX HD. Almost every site raved about the "great build quality" of it, while The Verge accurately pointed out that the build is actually flawed. I chose it anyway because of the battery and a few other things, but they weren't wrong.

I don't think review is as much of an outlier as you're saying though - they use stronger phrasing than most to say the battery life is weak, but a lot of sites have basically said it's efficient when idling but the screen burns it out fast.

I've read pretty much every review that has come out and only the Verge says the battery life is bad and I've yet to see any of them that say that screen time is below average or bad. It's been covered in the main thread exhaustively but over all the reviews have been very positive on everything including battery life. You can see the blurbs on battery that wingznut collected in the main thread.

Engadget: "In terms of real-life usage, the DNA got us through a full day on moderate use"
Cnet: "I was surprised by the HTC Droid DNA's battery performance, as well. Despite the phone's large screen and swift performance, the handset's embedded 2,020mAh battery lasted for a long 8 hours and 43 minutes in the CNET Labs video battery drain test."
Gizmodo: "That big screen is paired with LTE and a relatively modest 2020 mAh Li-Ion battery, but the Droid DNA still lasted until 10pm every night with moderately heavy usage. It's certainly nowhere near the marathon levels of the Droid RAZR MAXX HD, but it outlasts the Galaxy S3."
PCMag: "With all the processing power and the big, ultra-high-resolution display, battery life is a big concern here. The Droid DNA's nonremovable 2,020mAh battery was good for a solid 10 hours and 40 minutes of talk time, which is almost identical to the Galaxy S3's 10 hours and 43 minutes."
TechnoBuffalo: "The DROID DNA features a 2,020mAh battery, which was able to get me to the end of the day with about a 30 percent charge."
LaptopMag: "The Droid DNA packs a 2,020 mAh battery that's not removable, but we saw pretty good endurance given this phone's huge display. During the LAPTOP Battery Test (continuous Web surfing over 4G LTE on 40 percent brightness), the DNA lasted 6 hours and 29 minutes. That's a half-hour longer than the 6:01 category average... The Samsung Galaxy S3 lasted 6:55, but it also has a dimmer display."
PhoneArena: "We were desperately hoping for the best with battery life, but alas, it puts out nothing more than average results. Charging its 2,020 mAh battery, we?re able to fly by the 10 hour mark before it?s completely depleted ? thus hitting the tally we?re normally accustomed to seeing with most Verizon 4G LTE smartphones."
PhoneScoop: "Battery life of LTE smartphones has come a long way in the last year. The DNA includes a 2,020mAh battery, which provides enough juice to use it for an entire day, even when under LTE coverage. In fact, I had a hard time running the battery down, even with intensive use. It consistently lasted longer than 24 hours."

The Verge is definitely quick to point out the flaws of a product, unless it has a fruit on the back of it =p.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've read pretty much every review that has come out and only the Verge says the battery life is bad and I've yet to see any of them that say that screen time is below average or bad. It's been covered in the main thread exhaustively but over all the reviews have been very positive on everything including battery life. You can see the blurbs on battery that wingznut collected in the main thread.

Engadget: "In terms of real-life usage, the DNA got us through a full day on moderate use"
Cnet: "I was surprised by the HTC Droid DNA's battery performance, as well. Despite the phone's large screen and swift performance, the handset's embedded 2,020mAh battery lasted for a long 8 hours and 43 minutes in the CNET Labs video battery drain test."
Gizmodo: "That big screen is paired with LTE and a relatively modest 2020 mAh Li-Ion battery, but the Droid DNA still lasted until 10pm every night with moderately heavy usage. It's certainly nowhere near the marathon levels of the Droid RAZR MAXX HD, but it outlasts the Galaxy S3."
PCMag: "With all the processing power and the big, ultra-high-resolution display, battery life is a big concern here. The Droid DNA's nonremovable 2,020mAh battery was good for a solid 10 hours and 40 minutes of talk time, which is almost identical to the Galaxy S3's 10 hours and 43 minutes."
TechnoBuffalo: "The DROID DNA features a 2,020mAh battery, which was able to get me to the end of the day with about a 30 percent charge."
LaptopMag: "The Droid DNA packs a 2,020 mAh battery that's not removable, but we saw pretty good endurance given this phone's huge display. During the LAPTOP Battery Test (continuous Web surfing over 4G LTE on 40 percent brightness), the DNA lasted 6 hours and 29 minutes. That's a half-hour longer than the 6:01 category average... The Samsung Galaxy S3 lasted 6:55, but it also has a dimmer display."
PhoneArena: "We were desperately hoping for the best with battery life, but alas, it puts out nothing more than average results. Charging its 2,020 mAh battery, we?re able to fly by the 10 hour mark before it?s completely depleted ? thus hitting the tally we?re normally accustomed to seeing with most Verizon 4G LTE smartphones."
PhoneScoop: "Battery life of LTE smartphones has come a long way in the last year. The DNA includes a 2,020mAh battery, which provides enough juice to use it for an entire day, even when under LTE coverage. In fact, I had a hard time running the battery down, even with intensive use. It consistently lasted longer than 24 hours."

The Verge is definitely quick to point out the flaws of a product, unless it has a fruit on the back of it =p.

A lot of those quotes about the battery life don't sound very good.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
A lot of those quotes about the battery life don't sound very good.
Perhaps not... But they also don't sound "terrible" or "miserable".
As has been said... Reviews are all over the place.

By pretty much all accounts, it seems that the DNA's battery life is in line with the SGS3. For some reason, TheVirge calls it "terrible" and "miserable" on the DNA but "very reasonable" and "solid" in their SGS3 review.

I have a strong feeling that many are pre-judging based on the mAh rating. Had HTC never released that particular spec, I think we'd see different conclusions. :p

At any rate... I'll start to find out tomorrow if this device has a place in my life. ;)

ThunderKagerou

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
But how can they (The Verge) use the same test-The Verge battery test on 2 phones-Samsung GS3 & Droid DNA, give GS3 an 8 for 4hours 12m & the Droid DNA a 4 for lasting 4hours 25m? Doesn't make sense,no matter how you try to spin it