According to The Verge

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
But how can they (The Verge) use the same test-The Verge battery test on 2 phones-Samsung GS3 & Droid DNA, give GS3 an 8 for 4hours 12m & the Droid DNA a 4 for lasting 4hours 25m? Doesn't make sense,no matter how you try to spin it
It makes perfect sense to people that don't think out of the box (specifically, all the people that have judged the device based on mAh and what they "think" a phone needs to be).

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I think the usefulness for this and all threads related to battery life is about finished for me.

As of tomorrow or a week after, when lots of us have and use these we won't need to speculate any further or need to try to decipher conflicting reviews of battery life.

We will know soon enough, starting tomorrow ( but more reliably in a week or so of more normal use).

akira751

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I think the usefulness for this and all threads related to battery life is about finished for me.

As of tomorrow or a week after, when lots of us have and use these we won't need to speculate any further or need to try to decipher conflicting reviews of battery life.

charging mine right now for testing on wed.

We will know soon enough, starting tomorrow ( but more reliably in a week or so of more normal use).

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site

yes we will. and then people will justify their purchase and say oh its fine, when we know it is not. there will be chargers and portable battery packs everywhere. mophie will make a battery case that turns it into a nexus 7. then people will try to root and rom and squeeze extra power out of it. when, if htc or vzw gave an ish about their customers and profit, had put an appropriately sized battery, we could be talking about how sick this phone is phone is AND that we did it while getting maxx hd battery life results.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
yes we will. and then people will justify their purchase and say oh its fine, when we know it is not. there will be chargers and portable battery packs everywhere. mophie will make a battery case that turns it into a nexus 7. then people will try to root and rom and squeeze extra power out of it. when, if htc or vzw gave an ish about their customers and profit, had put an appropriately sized battery, we could be talking about how sick this phone is phone is AND that we did it while getting maxx hd battery life results.

You realize that this is precisely the kind of UNuseful speculation that is growing tiresome.....

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
yes we will. and then people will justify their purchase and say oh its fine, when we know it is not.
And herein lies the problem... You (and some others) have already decided what you "know", even though you haven't used the phone.

I'll get my DNA tomorrow, and decide for myself if it is fine. And if I decide it's fine for me, then it is, no matter what you think you "know".

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
when, if htc or vzw gave an ish about their customers and profit, had put an appropriately sized battery, we could be talking about how sick this phone is phone is AND that we did it while getting maxx hd battery life results.

I'm going to be honest that I haven't actually looked into this, I'm just making an informed guesstimate, but to get Maxx battery life, you'd probably need a battery the size of the Maxx, right? Well, haven't the batteries for the Maxx been oh so slightly bigger physically than the normal RAZR? (I just remember it being pointed out for the originals, and after seeing them in person, it was noticeable; not sure if it's the same for the HD's) The DNA sandwiches the battery between the display and circuit board; now I don't know how many other devices do that, or if it's a new thing, but it is safe to assume that a physically larger battery could potentially cause some problems with that. Maybe a 2,500 could have worked at the same size, but then there's the deal that this phone is $200. That is a fantastic price, and cuts were very likely to be made to keep it at that price point. HTC probably was along the lines of, "Let's try to get as small a battery in, that provides comparable/decent/average/good enough (for them) life."

I'm also going to be completely honest that I know pretty close to nothing about rooting, but wouldn't getting rid of Sense increase the battery a fair bit anyway? Not to mention the serious improvements a ROM could make to battery life.

I'm not sure what you mean by "appropriately sized," but I'm sure with everything else in the phone, if it was 3,300, at the very least, it would not be $200; if it was 2,500, it wouldn't get HD Maxx results by itself anyway.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be honest that I haven't actually looked into this, I'm just making an informed guesstimate, but to get Maxx battery life, you'd probably need a battery the size of the Maxx, right? Well, haven't the batteries for the Maxx been oh so slightly bigger physically than the normal RAZR? (I just remember it being pointed out for the originals, and after seeing them in person, it was noticeable; not sure if it's the same for the HD's) The DNA sandwiches the battery between the display and circuit board; now I don't know how many other devices do that, or if it's a new thing, but it is safe to assume that a physically larger battery could potentially cause some problems with that. Maybe a 2,500 could have worked at the same size, but then there's the deal that this phone is $200. That is a fantastic price, and cuts were very likely to be made to keep it at that price point. HTC probably was along the lines of, "Let's try to get as small a battery in, that provides comparable/decent/average/good enough (for them) life."

I'm also going to be completely honest that I know pretty close to nothing about rooting, but wouldn't getting rid of Sense increase the battery a fair bit anyway? Not to mention the serious improvements a ROM could make to battery life.

I'm not sure what you mean by "appropriately sized," but I'm sure with everything else in the phone, if it was 3,300, at the very least, it would not be $200; if it was 2,500, it wouldn't get HD Maxx results by itself anyway.

Phil has already mentioned that a bigger battery would have called for a different design. So you're on the right track.

droidbeat

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting mine today, too. I'm so used to popping out my battery, putting it into the spare battery charger, and popping a fresh one in the GNex and keep going. Hoping I won't have to do any charging on the DNA other than over night while I sleep. Even then, I'm used to just reaching over for the phone without it being plugged into anything. But... wireless charging pad! FTW!

supa_dupa

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
According to Phonearena:
The Droid DNA managed north of 11 hours of talk time, 6:40 hours of web browsing, and 7:30 hours of video playback.
These numbers, while less than the duration shown by marathon runners like the RAZR MAXX, iPhone 5 or Note II, are still up there with the best Android can offer.

It beats the Galaxy S3 in web browsing times, for instance, and is slightly better than the Optimus G video playback stamina

HTC-Droid-DNA-battery-life-tested-heres-how-the-smartphone-beast-scored---GSMArena-Blog-133538-png.jpg

HTC Droid DNA battery tests out, prove that the Full HD screen isn't a power hog

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Can we get real here for a second people? How frequently are any of us away from a source of AC for 8-10+ hours? I think it's fair to say we all have AC cords in our homes, our cars and our workplaces. Right off the bat that accounts for probably 95% of where we're going to be at any given time. On those rare occassions where you're not going to be by a power source for 10+ hours I'd suggest we all get an external battery pack like the Anker 5600mAh one I just ordered from Amazon for $29.98. About the size of a small Bic lighter and enough power to recharge the phone 2.5x on one charge.

I mean really people -- can we get back down to planet earth with all this discussion about the DNA's battery life. Please don't forget that test after test shows the DNA to be neck and neck with the battery life of the GS3 and I don't hear reviewer after reviewer pounding their breast complaining about the usability of the GS3.

Optimus Nexus

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No phone has a battery as bad as the Galaxy Nexus and I've been using this phone for almost a year. It's battery is so bad and I've been so traumatized by it, that I know whatever battery life the DNA gives me will be infinitely better than the Galaxy Nexus.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
No phone has a battery as bad as the Galaxy Nexus and I've been using this phone for almost a year. It's battery is so bad and I've been so traumatized by it, that I know whatever battery life the DNA gives me will be infinitely better than the Galaxy Nexus.

The stock battery in my HTC Rezound might be as bad

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Can we get real here for a second people? How frequently are any of us away from a source of AC for 8-10+ hours? I think it's fair to say we all have AC cords in our homes, our cars and our workplaces. Right off the bat that accounts for probably 95% of where we're going to be at any given time. On those rare occassions where you're not going to be by a power source for 10+ hours I'd suggest we all get an external battery pack like the Anker 5600mAh one I just ordered from Amazon for $29.98. About the size of a small Bic lighter and enough power to recharge the phone 2.5x on one charge.

I mean really people -- can we get back down to planet earth with all this discussion about the DNA's battery life. Please don't forget that test after test shows the DNA to be neck and neck with the battery life of the GS3 and I don't hear reviewer after reviewer pounding their breast complaining about the usability of the GS3.

Why even have have a battery at all then? Just keep your phone plugged in 24/7, lol..

The point is about options. When there are different options available when picking a phone, and one may not have as fancy of a display but a better battery.. personally, I would go with that option. It's not about not being able to find an outlet to plug your phone in. It's more about the hassle of having to do so and having to worry about it.

We get these high end phones, that can do all sorts of .. but what good is it if you always have to check the battery, and carry chargers with you everywhere you go, and have 50 chargers laying around your house and your work, and your car, etc?

It's like having an amazing sports car that gets 10 miles per gallon.

If the technology is there to have a high end phone AND good battery life, picking one or the other seems foolish to me.

I say that without any hands-on experience with the DNA, and I'm not arguing against it in this case, but moreso against the whole "AC" argument that always gets made when battery life comes up.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Phil has already mentioned that a bigger battery would have called for a different design. So you're on the right track.

Phil was the one I remembered saying the battery was like that. I tried to look it up, but couldn't find anything about that design, so I had to go back to where he said it to make sure.

I don't make phones, I make robots, and if there's anything I know about engineering, it's that size will eventually come back to haunt you. :p

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
It's like having an amazing sports car that gets 10 miles per gallon.

If the technology is there to have a high end phone AND good battery life, picking one or the other seems foolish to me.

There's quite a few high end super cars that do Haha but you make that trade off because its a lambo so who cares if it gets 10mpg. Also what technology are you referring to when you say that the two can be put together? Not the maxx HD I hope...