According to The Verge

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You do know how physically big the Note 2 is, right?

Yes, personally its size is grossly exaggerated in my opinion. I think it's perfectly fine to hold in the hand, and fits in the pocket just fine... but that wasn't the point.

The point is that it is both a high end phone, and has good battery life. It can be done. And for that matter, although clearly not as powerful a phone, Motorola has shown it can be done as well with the Razr Maxx (or even just the regular model) There's nothing stopping HTC, or Samsung, or any other developer from putting a hefty battery in their devices, regardless of what else may be under the hood. Sure, it might require reworking their phone designs, but maybe that's becoming a necessity. I think this craze to make each phone slimmer than the next is bizarre. We're paying top dollar for the devices... I shouldn't have to worry about having 10 chargers secreted away in every corner of my life just in case.

It's possible to have the best of both worlds, without having to sacrifice either battery life or processor for the other.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, personally its size is grossly exaggerated in my opinion. I think it's perfectly fine to hold in the hand, and fits in the pocket just fine... but that wasn't the point.

The point is that it is both a high end phone, and has good battery life. It can be done. And for that matter, although clearly not as powerful a phone, Motorola has shown it can be done as well with the Razr Maxx (or even just the regular model) There's nothing stopping HTC, or Samsung, or any other developer from putting a hefty battery in their devices, regardless of what else may be under the hood. Sure, it might require reworking their phone designs, but maybe that's becoming a necessity. I think this craze to make each phone slimmer than the next is bizarre. We're paying top dollar for the devices... I shouldn't have to worry about having 10 chargers secreted away in every corner of my life just in case.

It's possible to have the best of both worlds, without having to sacrifice either battery life or processor for the other.

Your hand and your pocket; not all. But, I didn't even bring that up.

The point was that it can get both, because it's physically capable of having a larger battery. It has much more real estate in that can be filled. There is something stopping them: profit margins. They already have something that works, so as a corporation they would not spend the extra money to suddenly jump to a much larger size when they are already focusing on another feature, components are getting more efficient, and the batteries being included are slowly rising in size anyway. The batteries of the Maxx's are Moto's selling point, their killer feature, much like the display and camera are for HTC devices. People are just spoiled with the Maxx's battery life, and it leaves a much larger impression, because it's more practical than just a prettier screen. It has a much greater impact on daily life. But, if all devices suddenly had Maxx battery life, then there wouldn't even be much of a point to get them, because that is what makes them stand out.

You're paying top dollar for the devices because they are new technology. Remember how much Blu-Ray players cost when they first came out? Lol, look at them now. I agree that it is possible to have the best of both worlds, but the only reasonable results that would come of it right now is either a hefty brick or a very premium product.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be honest that I haven't actually looked into this, I'm just making an informed guesstimate, but to get Maxx battery life, you'd probably need a battery the size of the Maxx, right? Well, haven't the batteries for the Maxx been oh so slightly bigger physically than the normal RAZR? (I just remember it being pointed out for the originals, and after seeing them in person, it was noticeable; not sure if it's the same for the HD's) The DNA sandwiches the battery between the display and circuit board; now I don't know how many other devices do that, or if it's a new thing, but it is safe to assume that a physically larger battery could potentially cause some problems with that. Maybe a 2,500 could have worked at the same size, but then there's the deal that this phone is $200. That is a fantastic price, and cuts were very likely to be made to keep it at that price point. HTC probably was along the lines of, "Let's try to get as small a battery in, that provides comparable/decent/average/good enough (for them) life."

I'm also going to be completely honest that I know pretty close to nothing about rooting, but wouldn't getting rid of Sense increase the battery a fair bit anyway? Not to mention the serious improvements a ROM could make to battery life.

I'm not sure what you mean by "appropriately sized," but I'm sure with everything else in the phone, if it was 3,300, at the very least, it would not be $200; if it was 2,500, it wouldn't get HD Maxx results by itself anyway.

of course it would be bigger, who cares? i cant imagine ONE person who would not buy this phone if it where 1-2mm thicker. in fact, i think it would send sales through the roof if it had a 2500-3300 battery. i have come to the conclusion that this is VZWs fault. the battery and storage. they want cloud data and didnt want to cannabalize maxx hd sales. so instead of letting manufacturers duke it out for superior products, they step in and dictate what they can and cant do.

as far as your price comment. do you know how much the difference in price would be between a 2020 and a 3030? nothing! it would be dollars. they could charge $249 and make $40 extra dollars profit. looking at their financials, they obviously don't know how to do this. i would rather pay $249!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cannot be the only person with these views. $50 extra is nothing compared to extra batteries, chargers, etc.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Can we get real here for a second people? How frequently are any of us away from a source of AC for 8-10+ hours? I think it's fair to say we all have AC cords in our homes, our cars and our workplaces. Right off the bat that accounts for probably 95% of where we're going to be at any given time. On those rare occassions where you're not going to be by a power source for 10+ hours I'd suggest we all get an external battery pack like the Anker 5600mAh one I just ordered from Amazon for $29.98. About the size of a small Bic lighter and enough power to recharge the phone 2.5x on one charge.

I mean really people -- can we get back down to planet earth with all this discussion about the DNA's battery life. Please don't forget that test after test shows the DNA to be neck and neck with the battery life of the GS3 and I don't hear reviewer after reviewer pounding their breast complaining about the usability of the GS3.

really? i cant reply to another "plugger", you guys just don't get it. as far as your last statement about gs3 battery. the reason it is not such a big deal, is at least you can swap them out.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Why even have have a battery at all then? Just keep your phone plugged in 24/7, lol..

The point is about options. When there are different options available when picking a phone, and one may not have as fancy of a display but a better battery.. personally, I would go with that option. It's not about not being able to find an outlet to plug your phone in. It's more about the hassle of having to do so and having to worry about it.

We get these high end phones, that can do all sorts of .. but what good is it if you always have to check the battery, and carry chargers with you everywhere you go, and have 50 chargers laying around your house and your work, and your car, etc?

It's like having an amazing sports car that gets 10 miles per gallon.

If the technology is there to have a high end phone AND good battery life, picking one or the other seems foolish to me.

I say that without any hands-on experience with the DNA, and I'm not arguing against it in this case, but moreso against the whole "AC" argument that always gets made when battery life comes up.

finally someone who enjoys logic!!!! also, its not like 10mpg, that is actually not bad for a 550-750hp supercar. it is like giving it a 5 gallon gas tank. it is ok that it sucks gas like one of tigers mistresses on a.... Physics dictate the usage of fuel. what wouldn't be cool is a 5 gallon tank aka. 2020Mah

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Your hand and your pocket; not all. But, I didn't even bring that up.

The point was that it can get both, because it's physically capable of having a larger battery. It has much more real estate in that can be filled. There is something stopping them: profit margins. They already have something that works, so as a corporation they would not spend the extra money to suddenly jump to a much larger size when they are already focusing on another feature, components are getting more efficient, and the batteries being included are slowly rising in size anyway. The batteries of the Maxx's are Moto's selling point, their killer feature, much like the display and camera are for HTC devices. People are just spoiled with the Maxx's battery life, and it leaves a much larger impression, because it's more practical than just a prettier screen. It has a much greater impact on daily life. But, if all devices suddenly had Maxx battery life, then there wouldn't even be much of a point to get them, because that is what makes them stand out.

You're paying top dollar for the devices because they are new technology. Remember how much Blu-Ray players cost when they first came out? Lol, look at them now. I agree that it is possible to have the best of both worlds, but the only reasonable results that would come of it right now is either a hefty brick or a very premium product.

$199 is not top dollar! i would beg to spend $249-299 for a "very premium product" version of this phone. i cant imagine why it would come out at $199. also, people keep forgetting the maxx hd is .2mm thinner than GS3

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
of course it would be bigger, who cares? i cant imagine ONE person who would not buy this phone if it where 1-2mm thicker.
You now know one person... Me. I love this phone the way it is. I don't want it any thicker, I don't need a larger battery, I don't want a removable battery cover.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the folks that have gotten this phone already know what to think of the verge review. Read the comments (on various sites) majority of people appear to be very happy with the phone (as we are with all shiny new things) I for one have no issues with battery bu that's me, but others chirp in the same I'd say this thread is dead !

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
You now know one person... Me. I love this phone the way it is. I don't want it any thicker, I don't need a larger battery, I don't want a removable battery cover.

LOL. Logic=fail!! it makes no sense to not want more battery/better battery life. period. its on par with the S3......the S3 sucks!

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I've never owned a S3 (nor any Samsung phones) so I can't comment on the battery life of this phone.

But the fact that Samsung has been able to sell over 30 million S3 so far would seem to suggest (average / poor) battery life doesn't necessary prevent a phone from being successful in the market.

exactly!! i'm amazed at the success of allot of these "mobile" devices that cant make a full day. it is mind blowing. form over function is RIDICULOUS on something soooo important in most modern day warriors lives. put a big freaking honking battery first and design the phone around that.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
as far as your price comment. do you know how much the difference in price would be between a 2020 and a 3030? nothing! it would be dollars. they could charge $249 and make $40 extra dollars profit. looking at their financials, they obviously don't know how to do this. i would rather pay $249!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cannot be the only person with these views. $50 extra is nothing compared to extra batteries, chargers, etc.

To say there'd be no difference in price, you either have no understanding of manufacturing or can't follow your own logic. You just said there'd be no difference in price, then that it would be in dollars, and then that you'd rather pay $249 for 3030 then the current $200 for 2020. That looks like a difference in price. And they would never put it with 3030 for less than $300 anyway, because then it would be severely undercutting the Maxx.

It costs me $30 for an extra battery, and I've seen people say, on the forums about HTC not including chargers, that they can just pick one up for like $8 so...

$199 is not top dollar! i would beg to spend $249-299 for a "very premium product" version of this phone. i cant imagine why it would come out at $199. also, people keep forgetting the maxx hd is .2mm thinner than GS3

That's still an extra 24.5% and 49.5% you'd be paying for, not including tax. Not everyone else would be willing to pay that. But, I was talking about off contract.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
LOL. Logic=fail!! it makes no sense to not want more battery/better battery life. period. its on par with the S3......the S3 sucks!
I would love to hear you explain how it is "fail" to not want a thicker device, or a higher price in exchange for something that that I don't need.

Perhaps your phone habits require a larger battery... That's the great thing about Android, you have choices. I chose the DNA, and am happy with exactly the way it is. You are free to choose another device.