Dna vs. Note2 vs. Razr maxx

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Finally decided to go with the GN II. Getting a titanium one at the corp. store tomorrow. Again, I truly appreciate everyone's opinions here!! Thanks!!!

Fraydog

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Verizon gimped this phone by insisting on the removal of the SD card slot that was on the J Butterfly. They want more overage charges, simple as that.

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Verizon gimped this phone by insisting on the removal of the SD card slot that was on the J Butterfly. They want more overage charges, simple as that.

That's not quite technically true. True, Verizon gimped it by not including the SD card. However, it was never there in the first place - the Butterfly ADDED it to Verizon's non-SD design. Symantics, I know - Verizon didn't remove it, they just excluded it from the start.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I am looking to replace my GNex with something newer.
After reading all the reviews, I was set to buy the DNA, however, after reading the Droid Life Review stating that the notification LED is only green and red (not RGB), I am now not sure....old BB fan here that loves the multi-colored LED light to inform me about any notifications. I use Lightflow and by looking at my phone, I know immediately what the alert was for....

I like the specs and look of the DNA. I like the larger screen of the Note 2, but it is so freakin huge!! I cannot see myself putting that monster by my ear to make/receive phone calls. I am also not thrilled with Samsung's build quality. The Razr has such a great battery, great build quality (gorilla glass/etc.) and it has a huge LED RGB light that it is on the top of my list - but the screen isn't as nice and I honestly think the phone is plain....ARARGGGHGHGH!!!

I am a big phone tech guy - and want others to chime in with their thoughts. I am buying one of the three this weekend....I have literally changed my mind 7 times already! Help!!!

What's wrong with Samsung's build quality?

The galaxy s III is built very well

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
That's not quite technically true. True, Verizon gimped it by not including the SD card. However, it was never there in the first place - the Butterfly ADDED it to Verizon's non-SD design. Symantics, I know - Verizon didn't remove it, they just excluded it from the start.

how do you know that? your belief goes against the process as we have known it for 2 decades. it also makes no sense that vzw would "design" the phone then let an identical version w/ sd card float around other world wide carriers! i dont believe that for a second.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
1987 was my first cell phone. As big as a home phone back then. So don't say these phones are huge. Lol. I have small hands. I like the Note2 and can't wait till march to have it. Everything this phone does....awesome!

sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
After using the DNA for 1 week, I am now on the fence of returning it and get the note 2. The none removable battery or no SD card did not bother me all that much, sure they are nice to have but I can live without it. However it's the battery life and how limited I feel when using DNA, today I achieved 14 hours off charger and still had over 60% of the battery but that is by turning off every possible sync and feature that came with the phone and with light use. It's too much work to just make sure my phone doesn't die before the day ends. DNA is such a beautiful device, it feels great in hand and it's the perfect size for me but I am not sure that is enough to make me a happy camper. I have 1 more week to return my DNA and I honestly not sure what to do, especially after all the cases and whatnot I already got for DNA.

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
how do you know that? your belief goes against the process as we have known it for 2 decades. it also makes no sense that vzw would "design" the phone then let an identical version w/ sd card float around other world wide carriers! i dont believe that for a second.

We've gone over this in many threads already. Reps from Verizon and HTC have discussed how this phone came to be (it was in a cnet article from a couple weeks ago). Basically, Verizon approached HTC and had a significant role in designing the phone. Part way through there was an opportunity for HTC to provide a similar phone for kddi which Verizon authorized because they were not in competing markets. The J Butterfly added the SD card to the existing Verizon design.

ptr1nyc

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I like the sharpness of the screen but thinking of returning it and getting a note 2. Bumed about about the storage. I put all my apps on and 5 gigs of offline spotify playlists and I was left with 2 gigs free. The screen is noticeably less sharp on the note 2 but I feel like because of the size, the spen and software its something different where as the DNA seems like a regular smartphone.

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I am heading over to the store this morning when it opens - I am going to look very hard at both phones, however, at age 48, the more real estate on the note will most likely end up being too much to pass up. I am on my email at work all day - cranking away....that will probably be the deal maker. I want to figure out a way to buy the DNA though....might end up doing it when I get to the store...lol....

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
After using the DNA for 1 week, I am now on the fence of returning it and get the note 2. The none removable battery or no SD card did not bother me all that much, sure they are nice to have but I can live without it. However it's the battery life and how limited I feel when using DNA, today I achieved 14 hours off charger and still had over 60% of the battery but that is by turning off every possible sync and feature that came with the phone and with light use. It's too much work to just make sure my phone doesn't die before the day ends. DNA is such a beautiful device, it feels great in hand and it's the perfect size for me but I am not sure that is enough to make me a happy camper. I have 1 more week to return my DNA and I honestly not sure what to do, especially after all the cases and whatnot I already got for DNA.

You went 14 hours and still had 60% battery left. In theory you could go 24 hours and still have 20% left, with your current setup. I think you ought to just set it you like you would like, and, see if the DNA will meet your needs. If you bought your cases at Verizon, they will likely take them back.

Myself, I have my DNA setup they way I like, and, I don't need to stress about battery life. It can go down to 30%, and, unlike my rezound, that 30% can go a lot longer.

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Just got back from the Corp. Store - picked up the Note II - dark grey - man - this phone is a BEAST - LOL. Charging it up...can't wait to play :)

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

this will always be the deciding factor for me as well. this is the major reason i just cant pull the trigger on the DNA, as bad as i want too. i feel bad even wanting a new phone as my maxx to this day, is just flat out perfect. the techy in me wants the newest gear. i definitely want a bigger screen, love the 1080p, all the other specs are so perfect. but..... i freaking abuse my phone! gps on all day long, bluetooth on all day, wifi on most of day even though it is only used probably 10% of the time, all my stuff syncing all day long, dropbox camera uploads, 3 different gmail accounts, etc. i stream music at least 2 hours a day, and another biggy, tethering, i tether all day long in the field. this, for my busy, hectic, lifestyle, just isnt going to cut it. if the Note2 has decent reception, i will get it. i think carrying around an extra battery pack in the truck is an acceptable tradeoff, or i could be surprised by the life of the Notes 3100mah battery. one thing i have noticed is that reception plays a big role in battery life. i think that is another area where the maxx really excels. i wish a rumor would drop about a moto 5" quad core maxx phone!!!!! just dont think i can wait. ;)

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

There are a few articles out on the web that had interviews from both HTC and Verizon ceos. They said that this phone was a joint venture from the get go. Google it if you'd like.

Also, welcome back edizzle. You bounced back rather quickly

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
We've gone over this in many threads already. Reps from Verizon and HTC have discussed how this phone came to be (it was in a cnet article from a couple weeks ago). Basically, Verizon approached HTC and had a significant role in designing the phone. Part way through there was an opportunity for HTC to provide a similar phone for kddi which Verizon authorized because they were not in competing markets. The J Butterfly added the SD card to the existing Verizon design.

good to know! still very surprising! especially given the rumor of a worldwide release as the DLX.

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
There are a few articles out on the web that had interviews from both HTC and Verizon ceos. They said that this phone was a joint venture from the get go. Google it if you'd like.

Also, welcome back edizzle. You bounced back rather quickly

thanks for duplicating what jasona stated! very helpful.

welcome back edizzle?

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
thanks for duplicating what jasona stated! very helpful.

welcome back edizzle?

Well you have nearly the same posting and grammar style as edizzle, i.e lack of caps at the beginning of sentences, excessive use of exclamation points, etc. You registered only a day after edizzle was banned, and have a propensity to be a little stand offish (going off other threads). So it seems just a tiny bit suspect :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01