Initial Impressions Thread

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
This is all only based on about eight hours of use. Got mine this morning and there were quite a few people who had similar plans in the store. If you didn't get there right as the store was opening you had maybe an hour wait to get a salesperson to help you. Activation went well. They activated it on another one of my three lines on my family plan and then switched it over from that number to my number. That way I never officially "upgraded" my number and kept my unlimited data. Linked it with my car's bluetooth system and it worked flawlessly. My car even displays emails on the screen and will read them to me (2011 BMW 535xi)! The BT in the Gnex didn't support that feature in the car so this is obviously a better version of BT.

First off the battery takes longer to charge than the Gnex but its power management is excellent and it seems to have no problem transitioning between 4G and WiFi and it never seems to lose its 4G connection when out and about. The screen really is awesome and like another poster, I'm a real snob for white whites (think the Google home page) and this phone's screen is simply perfect in this regard. Compared to the dull, yellowish "whites" on the Gnex this thing is simply in a whole other league. The colors aren't as vibrant as those on the Gnex but I expected that knowing I was moving from an AMOLED screen to a S-LCD one. Blacks are surprisingly good however. The processor seems up to anything I threw at it thus far and is buttery smooth. The keyboard the phone comes with is simply horrible. No two ways about it. I downloaded SwiftKey 3 from Google Play immediately. I'd advise anyone buying this to do likewise ASAP. Infinitely better.

Battery use is superb thus far. I don't pretend to understand the tech aspects of its power management algorithms but I will tell you that they work superbly. Will you get through a full day of really heavy use with the screen on for hours at a time? No. But you should have no problem easily getting through a full day with anything approximating normal use. I already bought an Anker 5600mAh external battery pack on Amazon for $29.98. I think anyone would be well advised to consider a similar purchase just to be on the safe side.

I HATE the volume key and the on/off switch on the top. You can't feel them and they have no travel whatsoever to let you know they've been depressed or not. Horrible ergonomic engineering HTC! Shame on you. The overall build quality is beyond superb. This just shrieks quality and solidity and the juxtaposition of black and red highlights is stunning. Easily the best looking cell phone I have ever seen in the flesh.

The return, home and recent apps keys on the bottom of the phone are somewhat small and are not illuminated so when you're playing with the phone in a room that's not bright you have to simply guess where the back button and home buttons are. In fairness there's really not a lot of room down there so you're bound to hit what you're looking for but they really should be illuminated.

The jury's out about the Sense 4 UI. It will take a bit of getting used to coming from the pure Google Gnex. Right now I'd say I'd reserve judgment as I had become very comfortable and used to the pure Google Gnex. I think there will be a three or four day learning curve to really get up to speed with this Sense UI.

The built-in speaker is simply amazing. I always thought that this was an area that Apple excelled in in their iphones. This built-in speaker is easily the equal of that built into the iphone 5 and may even be better. It goes quite loud with no distortion whatsoever even at max. Quite a dramatic improvement over the Gnex let me tell you!

Haven't played with the camera yet so we'll have to await what others say about this. I'm going to be particularly interested in its low light capabilities without flash given its wide maximum aperture and it's rear illuminated sensor.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. So far the phone has been a joy and I'm really enjoying it. Hope this heps anyone still on the fence.

Last edited:

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
More tp come as I explore the phone more..
Power Button - With the silicon cover from vZ it's somewhat recessed and a bit harder to switch, without cover it's ok
The volume rockers I like, easy for me to change and not sticking out where I'll be previously were constantly hitting them (and changing stuff when I put it in my pocket)

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Love build quality as stated in another thread .

I have different opinion on lock and volume keys as I have no problem with them at all.

Camera is great although haven't really utilized it too much. I do like the ability to hold down shutter button and it snaps multiple photos.

Can't give a good review of battery life as I'm using it out of nature due to me tinkering with it and messing with things.

Keyboard is phenomenal and haven't had need to install swiftkey yet.

Screen stunning.

Sense I prefer over all other UI except stock and even then I still like sense because stock aosp tends to look bland and boring to me sometimes.

Overall I'm extremely impressed with phone. Love that for a big screen I can still use it with one hand.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

chassum

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Wow! Really loving it. Old familiar apps are taking on a while new flavor. For example, beats audio makes the Waze navigation lady sound like SheWhoMustBeObeyed ;)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Loving mine so far. Too early to report coherently on battery life, as I have had the thing on literally the entire day since 9:30 am setting it up, etc, though my initial guess is the battery is decent. I KNOW already from a whole 11 hours with it that it's better than my Gnex was. But again, I need a week or normal, day to day use before really forming an opinion on battery life. I ripped off that silly USB cover on the bottom and am much happier. So far everything seems great (except that damn power button on top - it's sooo far away !).

Once I use it more, I'll give more impressions.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Loving mine so far. Too early to report coherently on battery life, as I have had the thing on literally the entire day since 9:30 am setting it up, etc, though my initial guess is the battery is decent. I KNOW already from a whole 11 hours with it that it's better than my Gnex was. But again, I need a week or normal, day to day use before really forming an opinion on battery life. I ripped off that silly USB cover on the bottom and am much happier. So far everything seems great (except that damn power button on top - it's sooo far away !).

Once I use it more, I'll give more impressions.

I wouldn't of done that ripping off usb door.its meant there for the water resistance . That's what I was told.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So far so good. Just completed setting everything up (took a few hours). Camera shots seem okay but I haven't done anything heavily with it yet. The display is certainly gorgeous, what an amazing upgrade over anything I've had before. WiFi and LTE signal seem good to me. I love the overall build quality of the device...very solid and feels nice in the hand.

I absolutely loath the micro usb cover. As someone who uses it often, I can see it being an annoyance and will probably rip it off sometime in the future. I don't really care for the stock sense launcher so I put Nova and all is now gravy. I can't wait to put this thing through its paces fully tomorrow and see how battery life is really like for me.

8leNJ.jpg

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Initial impressions are simply amazing. I am coming from a TB that I was very happy with and it might as wlel have been an old flip phone if I am to compare it to the DNA. No contest. The screen is so crisp and vivid. Even old games look better on the DNA. I don't mind the buttons at all but like someone mentioned, the case from verizon makes the power button a touch harder to use. Overall build is well done but I am biased as I llike HTC phones. The improvement in radios over the TB is great. I am constantly in 4G and it is so fast, much more noticeable that the TB. The phone screams in everything it does. Loading, copying, moving, using... very fast phone. So far, I have no complaints on the battery at all either. Left work with it charged to 84% and 5 hours later it is at 71%. In that time I downloaded some games, showed it off to family, played some games, sent some text messages and surfed the web. Not a power user by any means but power management in general seems to be pretty good so far. i will need a few days to get a better idea. I love this phone!

Coalission

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Got mine today, this phone is amazing. Very well built, battery is whatever, nothing to write home about but not horrible either considering the screen/specs, and I've grown accustomed to always topping up my phones whenever I can anyway (thank you thunderbolt).

I bought it along with the LG wireless charger, which is working great so far as well. Very happy with this purchase, but would happily have paid $299 w/contract for a Maxx HD-like battery, just for convenience.

Oh and yeah, that little Micro USB cover is annoying, will eventually rip it off probably.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Holy cow, am I an idiot. Was snapping a few camera shots in low light to test the quality out. With or without the flash I was pretty disappointed. Grainy and lacking in contrast. Then I flipped the phone over and realized I had forgotten to take off the clear plastic overlay!!!

What a maroon! :D

BTW, the camera is extremely good with great detail, contrast and color saturation. And there are a ton of processing options available both pre and post shot. Very nice HTC!

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Love love love. Coming from iPhone 5 and s3 before that. Screen is perfect! Too soon for battery life. Really liking sense so far. The build quality is just fantastic. Camera is great, took some nice photos earlier.

I'll be canceling my nexus4.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't got to play with it much but so far I like it. I was shocked that it looked smaller than I thought it would be. It will take some getting use to having the power button at the top and the volume rocker where it is. I don't like the micro usb cover either. The phone is a tad thin for my taste....but that can be easily fixed with a case. I have the next 4 days off so I will be having some fun exploring it.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm lovin this phone right now. Its way better than my Galaxy Nexus that's for sure. Right now I don't have any complaints other than the NFC notification. It's kind of annoying I really don't like all the icons in the notification bar. This phone is still very bright with the brightness all the way down. Also the only other problem that I have is the volume button the power button does not bother me. But after my first impressions I would give this a 6 out of 5 stars

milan03

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm lovin this phone right now. Its way better than my Galaxy Nexus that's for sure. Right now I don't have any complaints other than the NFC notification. It's kind of annoying I really don't like all the icons in the notification bar. This phone is still very bright with the brightness all the way down. Also the only other problem that I have is the volume button the power button does not bother me. But after my first impressions I would give this a 6 out of 5 stars

Wait, didn't you have a post about how we should wait and not buy DNA?

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I've only had the phone a few hours, however my first impression is simply WOW. for me there are no complaints. The power and volume rocker are almost flush, which I like because on my gnex they were wobbly. I can tell that I'm going to have a very loving relationship with this device haha

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
More updates:
Camera - Took some low light video and pics last night, fairly good for a phone, NOTE: While playing with affects, photo app crashed, I will also note i was hitting them all one after the other to see the affect but it definitely closed, but i don't consider this a fault at the moment.
Slacker Radio - Wanted to test Beats.. I have a premium account, plenty of volume a bit of distorion at top setting, but then I couldn't listen very long since it was so loud. Beats gives it more dynamic range which is nice..
Slacker Streaming - I did notice a minuet pause/skip while streaming, I doubt it's the app and something to do with wifi.. I'll be trying it on pure lte later

Dont' mistake me I'm not a hater, Loving the phone just trying to test some limits with it.

SuperJonCA

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
More updates:
Camera - Took some low light video and pics last night, fairly good for a phone, NOTE: While playing with affects, photo app crashed, I will also note i was hitting them all one after the other to see the affect but it definitely closed, but i don't consider this a fault at the moment.
Slacker Radio - Wanted to test Beats.. I have a premium account, plenty of volume a bit of distorion at top setting, but then I couldn't listen very long since it was so loud. Beats gives it more dynamic range which is nice..
Slacker Streaming - I did notice a minuet pause/skip while streaming, I doubt it's the app and something to do with wifi.. I'll be trying it on pure lte later

Dont' mistake me I'm not a hater, Loving the phone just trying to test some limits with it.

Slacker, really? Streaming music is never a good way to judge sound quality. Test the limits with some on-device CD quality music.