Impulse purchased a DNA. Mixed feelings.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
First, the display is extremely sharp. I can almost justify moving from my old phone (a SGS3 on Verizon) to this.

I tried to get a good comparison but fiddling with macro mode on my camera didn't result in clear photos but given that they're a bit out of focus,
iPhone 4S Retina:
iPhone4S.jpg

DNA:
DroidDNA.png

Both shots taken from the same distance from the display and at the same zoom level. View the full size images but the Retina display has extremely easily identifiable pixels and the DNA is just about like print.

A few odd thing so far:
* My car charger which has worked with every other micro-USB device in the world (SGS3, Thunderbolt, my jetpack, everything) does not charge the DNA. That's annoying.

* The camera is very good. I can't get a feel for how it is compared to phones like the Lumia 920 but it does seem to be better than the SGS 3 and certainly much more responsive.

* I was using Facebook Messenger's SMS/MMS integration on the SGS3 and loved it. It doesn't seem to be available on the DNA, even though I'm seemingly using the same version of messenger.

* I'd read reports of the DNA UI being laggy or stalling, and haven't observed any of that so far. It seems very fast to me.

* I'm having a little bit of buyer's remorse which is really unusual for me for a phone. Every other upgrade I've ever done the phone I was upgrading to was much better than the phone I was upgrading from (e.g., Thunderbolt->Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Nexus->SGS3) but this feels more like a sidegrade than an upgrade, except for the display and maybe the camera.

* Some of the UI elements are misplaced. e.g., google chrome:
UImistake.jpg

Notice the tab count number isn't centered as it should be.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Besides the screen, you are not really upgrading much coming from a SGS3 to DNA. It's a trade that you win some and you lose some. If I am you, I would have waited for something else.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Besides the screen, you are not really upgrading much coming from a SGS3 to DNA. It's a trade that you win some and you lose some. If I am you, I would have waited for something else.

I probably should have. Somewhere in the back of my mind I was justifying it by the screen alone and I think the reality is it's not quite enough. I'm also fairly certain I'll be kicking myself if a 32 GB DNA or DNA-like device shows up in the next couple of months.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus and I ordered the DNA. I just havent decide if I want to keep it or return it for Note 2. I figure I would give a try for about a week and see if I like it.

wadea10

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
How do you think the camera compares with the galaxy nexus I'm debating upgrading mainly for the camera. Also how does super LCD compare with AMOLED

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
How do you think the camera compares with the galaxy nexus I'm debating upgrading mainly for the camera. Also how does super LCD compare with AMOLED

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I, too, came from a Gnex. The camera on the DNA is much, much better and has far more options associated with it was well as a much better panorama program and low light capability. And the front facing camera is in a whole other league from the Gnex. The super LCD 3 screen is definitely brighter than the Gnex and the whites are super white, not that sick looking yellowish white like on the Gnex. Colors are nowhere near as vivid as those on the Gnex but that's to be expected as the Gnex is an AMOLED screen and nothing touches the color intensity of an AMOLED. The auto-brightness on the DNA is actually very good and always seems to keep the screen just the way you want it. The Gnex had to be on max brightness all the time to look good to me.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I came from gs3. I feel it is an upgrade for a few reasons.. build quality. Bigger screen with better quality. Camera tad better . Feels faster to me as well.. I contemplated waiting for note 2 but that really would of felt like less of an upgrade to me. It would of been same phone with a bigger screen and a few stylus dedicated apps. I have no remorse and I am the type that usually does. I bought the 8x on launch day and returned it next day.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

wadea10

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I tend to agree with you on the nexus brightness. Unfortunately for me with the nexus I have to keep the brightness on the lowest or second lowest setting to get through a day even with the extended battery. Auto brightness on the Nexus just kills the battery. Does the auto brightness on the DNA kill the battery as well?

Optimus Nexus

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The problems that you might be having with some apps are due to them not being compatible with the DNA's 1080p resolution. Secondly, the issue with the Chrome, it might be Chrome or it might be the DNA; Chrome is just known for being buggy/memory hog for almost every phone that uses it.

Last edited:

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I've got the GS3 and just bought the DNA...haven't touched my GS3 since the DNA came home with me. Totally worth $599. Don't get me wrong the GS3 is a fantastic device and I still love it and will use it sometimes, the DNA just feels more high end to me. It also does not redraw the homescreen like the GS3 ...EVER. That alone makes it feel nicer.

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've got the GS3 and just bought the DNA...haven't touched my GS3 since the DNA came home with me. Totally worth $599. Don't get me wrong the GS3 is a fantastic device and I still love it and will use it sometimes, the DNA just feels more high end to me. It also does not redraw the homescreen like the GS3 ...EVER. That alone makes it feel nicer.

Not trying to be rude, but how do people afford to buy multiple phones like that? I could barely afford my gs3 at the promo price of 350 n that was making payments over a month. I WISH I had money to blow like that.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to be rude, but how do people afford to buy multiple phones like that? I could barely afford my gs3 at the promo price of 350 n that was making payments over a month. I WISH I had money to blow like that.

Priorities. It's amazing what you can do if you are willing to live on ramen and water for a few years.

I feel guilty about it in a sort of weird, "I should have just spent the money on Apple stock" sort of way.

Necrocis

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

36 and single, very little debt.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
How does your better life on the DNA compare to the GS3?

BTW i just switched to Chrome from Dolphin on my S3 and its lightning fast.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I presume you mean battery. I haven't run through a complete charge yet, but right now it seems pretty comparable in terms of how fast the battery seems to drain.

How does your better life on the DNA compare to the GS3?

BTW i just switched to Chrome from Dolphin on my S3 and its lightning fast.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site

Honestly, as hobbies go, mobile devices are rather cheap. As compared to something like Home Theater where a nice projector can set you back $30,000-$50,000.....and that's just the beginning....then you have carpet, seating, components like amplifiers, processors....and on and on...or what about cars as a hobby........talk about MONEY.

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Whoa, whoa, whoa...... Let's grt back to this Micro USB powered jetpack....

One question foe you though, on a serious note. How are you dealing with the no sd card, or is that not an issue for you?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Lol why would you answer my question and then tell me to google it? I was wondering about your specific experience since you just came from an S3 and reports of the DNAs battery life are inconsistent.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power