Impulse purchased a DNA. Mixed feelings.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Another update:

The bluetooth streaming seems to behave a little differently than that on the SGS3.

DSC01473.JPG

With the Droid DNA, the car display isn't showing where in the song it is (always showing 0:00 even though it's playing) and doesn't show album art. Given the sort of petri dish of bluetooth configurations different cars have it's hard to pin this on the phone but it worked fine when the SGS3 was playing.

Also a little more concerning is that the car dropped the stream once and disconnected from bluetooth completely. I had to turn off the car and turn it back on again before it would pick it back up - sort of hinting at a bluetooth in car problem but once again this never happened with the SGS3.

Also every 2-4 minutes or so the audio would skip and jump for a few seconds. This happens with both beyondpod and google play music. Once again, the same music and same software didn't have this problem on the SGS3.

Nothing earth shattering but it is adding a few annoyances.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Another update:

The bluetooth streaming seems to behave a little differently than that on the SGS3.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/268628/Comparison/DSC01473.JPG

With the Droid DNA, the car display isn't showing where in the song it is (always showing 0:00 even though it's playing) and doesn't show album art. Given the sort of petri dish of bluetooth configurations different cars have it's hard to pin this on the phone but it worked fine when the SGS3 was playing.

Also a little more concerning is that the car dropped the stream once and disconnected from bluetooth completely. I had to turn off the car and turn it back on again before it would pick it back up - sort of hinting at a bluetooth in car problem but once again this never happened with the SGS3.

Also every 2-4 minutes or so the audio would skip and jump for a few seconds. This happens with both beyondpod and google play music. Once again, the same music and same software didn't have this problem on the SGS3.

Nothing earth shattering but it is adding a few annoyances.

Jelly bean issue?

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm having my own issues with Bluetooth. I listen to music or podcasts throughout the day and when I get a call I answer and can't hear or talk on the headset. If I turn it to speaker or handset, I still can't hear. I also can't make calls out with the headset connected unless I use handset speaker only. It needs a reboot to fix the issue. I've only ever had froyo and gingerbread so I don't know if this is an issue of the phone or jb. Picking up a note 2 today so I will see how that works.

The Nottinator

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

You know, Verizon extends their 14 day return policy during the holidays.

I was told I can return it, no questions asked, up until January 14th!

Makes getting the DNA a low risk deal, in my mind! Hey, by January 14th, I'll know if I love this device or not, and the honeymoon will be over.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm having my own issues with Bluetooth. I listen to music or podcasts throughout the day and when I get a call I answer and can't hear or talk on the headset. If I turn it to speaker or handset, I still can't hear. I also can't make calls out with the headset connected unless I use handset speaker only. It needs a reboot to fix the issue. I've only ever had froyo and gingerbread so I don't know if this is an issue of the phone or jb. Picking up a note 2 today so I will see how that works.

The Nottinator

Not knowing what brand of Bluetooth headset you are using it could be that or is to old and not compatible with the DNA

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Not knowing what brand of Bluetooth headset you are using it could be that or is to old and not compatible with the DNA

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Plantronics 903+, bluetooth 4.0

It's the Dna having problems, works on my note 2 and older incredible just fine.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Probably final update. I still have the DNA past the 14 day return period. Strangely though, I missed the SGS3 and reactived it on a new line as well, so for a while I'll have the two personal phones. I like running with the SGS3 quite a bit more because it's easier to hold in my hand while I run and the SGS3 is still a very good device but after a day with it and swapping back and forth between them, the DNA does feel like an actual upgrade rather than a sidegrade.

The bluetooth oddities with the DNA are still pretty annoying, and I am already running up against the lack of storage. If we knew for certain a DNA-like device with either expandable memory or One X+ style upgrading to 64 GB happens there shouldn't be any question about waiting for it. 16 GB is a bigger issue than I thought it would be.

I have no problems with the battery life at all, though I haven't put it through a real test yet (meaning, when I'm traveling and don't have immediate access to a charger, will I feel like I'm afraid to use it for battery life).

Camera performs a bit better than the SGS3 in my opinion, but only a bit. Not formally measured for noise or sensitivity of course, just gut feeling.

And as a side note, as always, if you have an unlimited plan with verizon, it is absolutely not worth any phone subsidy to give it up. Keep that unlimited plan until they pry it from your cold, dead, geeky fingers.

TimeHunter

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm sticking with my Rezound for now. Ticked that HTC isn't dropping Jelly Bean on it (yes, I actually like Sense), but aside from JB features that I like (my N7 is awesome), and 720p compared to 1080p, the no sdcard expansion is my number one holdback. I have a 64gb card in the Rezound, so I'm spoiled for available space for all my chunky data and media files.

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Explain how I can ghost a phone on an account please, this is new to me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Been awhile, things may have changed but: add a new line to a family account and get DNA for it. Transfer the new DNA to your existing phone number and put a dumbphone on the new line. Since the dumbphone doesn't require a data plan, it can be downgraded to $10 a month plan... you now have a new DNA and the "cost" is $240 over 2 years ($10 month x 24 months)

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'm familiar with that just not the terminology. I did this but since all my dumb phones are Alltel, they won't reactivate them so I'm stuck with the $40 smartphone plan.

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I'm familiar with that just not the terminology. I did this but since all my dumb phones are Alltel, they won't reactivate them so I'm stuck with the $40 smartphone plan.

"Alltel-Wan Kenobi? Alltel? Now there's a name I've not heard in a long, long time. A long time."
obi-wan-kenobi.jpg

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
That name is actually back in the marketplace now serving 6 states. Some company in ME or Mass owns it now, they bought it from Verizon.