IPhone 5 versus HTC DNA

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You have an iPhone 5 and are on an Android site asking if you should get the DNA...of course you should get the DNA!

Seriously, you'll probably get good money for the iPhone 5 to put toward the DNA and only come out of pocket a little. Battery life will also depend on how much you use the device and if you need to keep every app sync'd and stream music throughout the day :). If you can swing it purchase the DNA and use it for a couple of days. If you like it, keep it and sell the iPhone 5...if you don't like it, return it (DNA) and get your money back (less restocking fee) and fall back on the iPhone.

Optimus Nexus

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I know you do not want to hear this one, but you should have held out for more. Glad you got it sold though. I made up my mind awhile ago on what i wanted for mine and turned down more than one offer....

You're right, I should've held out for more. I was just worried about either charging too much that no one would want it, or that I would charge too little and not get its value, so I just setup in between, I suppose.

Nurse_Shan

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I just wanna throw my 2 cents in here! I was due for an upgrade (had the droid bionic) and hesitantly ordered the iPhone 5. Had it ONE day and returned it. I am a droid fan and although I don't speak ill will of the iPhone, I hated it!!! Pre-ordered the droid DNA and received it a few days later and love it! The battery life kicks the Bionic's butt too.

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Does Verizon have a trade in program? I could at least pay for like half of it with the trade in the rest in cash

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Bill1967

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Does Verizon have a trade in program? I could at least pay for like half of it with the trade in the rest in cash

Yes they do but you won't get as much as if you sold it yourself. Pop it on Ebay while the christmas rush is on and you should do pretty well. I hope you enjoy what ever phone you decide on getting as long as its the DNA..j/k lol

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
I have a droid RAZR HD as my work phone so I am not strictly an iPhone lover :)

He he

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
True. Personally I don't plan on upgrading on contract again, so it's not as big of a deal for me.

how long do you think you will be able to keep unlimited? it is going away for everybody. period. once you are out of your original 2 year contract they can take it from you at any time.

nat72sherman

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
How does DNA compare to the Thunderbolt. The TB is my first smartphone experience, so I don't have a lot to compare to, other than owning a 2nd gen Ipod Touch for years which I like. I'm due for an upgrade and I'm looking at an IPhone 5 just for the form factor. I dont care to own a big phone, which the TB is.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
how long do you think you will be able to keep unlimited? it is going away for everybody. period. once you are out of your original 2 year contract they can take it from you at any time.

Verizon won't do away with unlimited for those that buy phones at full price. Why? Because the number of people that do that are incredibly small.

akira751

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
How does DNA compare to the Thunderbolt. The TB is my first smartphone experience, so I don't have a lot to compare to, other than owning a 2nd gen Ipod Touch for years which I like. I'm due for an upgrade and I'm looking at an IPhone 5 just for the form factor. I dont care to own a big phone, which the TB is.

The DNA blows the Bolt away in every aspect. I loved my Bolt but it had some issues.:)

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
The DNA is the most comfortable and manageable "Big" phone I've used so far. Not that the GS3 is bad. The DNA's size .... is perfect IMO. Previously I thought a 4 incher was the perfect size... Goldilocks (not too big, not too small, just right).

The DNA's tapered back, bezel, corners... all contribute to a very managable "Big" phone. It's my new Goldilocks standard of phone size.

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The DNA blows the Bolt away in every aspect. I loved my Bolt but it had some issues.:)

I loved my TBolt as well but I will never look back. The TBolt cannot be compared to the DNA, the DNA is in a whole different class! I cannot compare the DNA to the iPhone 5 but we do have an iPhone 4s and again IMHO the DNA blows away the 4S as well.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Verizon won't do away with unlimited for those that buy phones at full price. Why? Because the number of people that do that are incredibly small.

i dont want to start another idiotic battle (not directed at you!), but you are wrong here. the small percentage of VZW heaviest users account for a disproportionately large portion of the bandwidth usage. they are absolutely wanting you to get off of unlimited ASAP. it will happen sooner rather than later. i am still on unlimited and have purchased my last three phones outright to avoid losing, but i have first hand info that the days of unlimited are seriously numbered.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
i dont want to start another idiotic battle (not directed at you!), but you are wrong here. the small percentage of VZW heaviest users account for a disproportionately large portion of the bandwidth usage. they are absolutely wanting you to get off of unlimited ASAP. it will happen sooner rather than later. i am still on unlimited and have purchased my last three phones outright to avoid losing, but i have first hand info that the days of unlimited are seriously numbered.

First hand info? Go on.... You have peaked my curiosity.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
First hand info? Go on.... You have peaked my curiosity.

i have a client who is an upper level executive at vzw wireless. we have talked specifically about unlimited data and it is going the way of the dodo bird. no specifics, but trust me, they dont want people on unlimited data. if you are out of contract and month to month, they can change any term they want at any time. "grandfathered" was for in contract people.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
i have a client who is an upper level executive at vzw wireless. we have talked specifically about unlimited data and it is going the way of the dodo bird. no specifics, but trust me, they dont want people on unlimited data. if you are out of contract and month to month, they can change any term they want at any time. "grandfathered" was for in contract people.

What exactly are they waiting for?

thefireguy286

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
What exactly are they waiting for?

VoLTE (Voice over LTE) allegedly, when it hits next year, or at least what I've heard. You'll need a new supported device for that and regardless of how you buy your device, you'll have to change plans to support that.

...not that I believe the banned guy's connections for a second.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for straying off topic...
E.
There is considerable debate within the Verizon upper management team about continuing unlimited data.
I have people that are very, very close to me that are VZW upper executives.

The current consensus is that it will go away but by natural attrition rather than them "pulling the plug".
The side that wants unlimited data ended list the "data hogs" as the primary reason. Those few individuals cause a disproportionate strain on the network and don't pay their fare share. If the "data hogs" were to leave it would be good riddance because the network would operate better and they only pay $30/month.
The side that wants to continue unlimited data notes the fact that most of those with unlimited are some of the best long-time customers and not "data hogs" but use less than 6gb/month. This group just likes the security and certainty of having a flat rate regardless of how much they use their device.
Many of those users would leave to other providers that provide unlimited flat price data plans. They stay because of the VZW network and the unlimited plan.
As all of the other US carriers move to LTE the significant advantage of the VZW network will begin to fade and make it much easier for those loyal subscribers to leave.

Currently, Verizon won't pull the plug on "grandfathered" unlimited data as long as many of you keep switching to "Share Everything" every day and other carriers continue to offer unlimited data as a differentiating advantage. Verizon even likes those that don't currently use a lot of data to leave the unlimited plan. It reduces their risk or exposure to potential "data hogs" even if it costs them a few dollars now. Every launch of a new phone causes thousands of subscribers to upgrade and lose their unlimited data.

Some in management want to go the other direction and open unlimited data back up once the LTE network is completely built out and CDMA is being phased out.
This would be in a couple of years before the other carriers have a complete build of their LTE networks.
This would blunt the marketing message of Sprint & T-Mobile as the BEST Network would have an unlimited data plan, albeit a higher price.
This is currently being studied to see if the network could handle the influx of "data hogs" and what price is appropriate.

You are correct that VZW can choose to "pull the plug" on unlimited data at any time.
But the current management team feels it is best to let attrition decrease the number of unlimited plans at this point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie