Bad multitouch? (And potentially shady VZW customer service)

AMDman18

May 27, 2010
Visit site
So I got my DNA on Sunday. So far, I'm pretty happy with it except for one issue. My multitouch seems messed up. If I'm trying to play a game that requires both thumbs, basically the two of them tapping the screen interfere with one another. For example, if I'm playing something like shadowgun, or GTA III, or max payne, or even the preinstalled diablo clone, if I'm moving a character and try to press an attack button at the same time(or in the case of GTA trying to actually steer while driving) the character movement "stick" resets to neutral. and sometimes the reverse will happen. Trying to move will cause the attack button to stop registering. The issue has been "confirmed" by me with multitouch visible test found in the play store. In the test, moving my thumbs around and making them cross axis screws up the touch registering. could anyone confirm or deny that this is happening on their device? Games are basically unplayable. I went into a VZW store today(the only one in my are with the phone in stock) and tried their demo unit and it exhibited the same problem. I was then promptly told by the sales rep that the one device they had was being held for a paid order. Nevermind the fact that I was told over the phone minutes before that the one phone was available and that they DO NOT hold devices for customers. A call to corporate may be in order... Anyway, any thoughts on the multitouch "issue" would be greatly appreciated.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I am trying to replicate this issue and cant. My phone can register as many touches at once as I have fingers lol. A good way to test if you have a bad touch screen is go into the phone app, hit menu and select full size dial pad, you should then be able to select as many numbers at the same time as possible, if more than one light up your good to go. If not something is wrong.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I think phil posted something about this last week. I believe you have to go to settings and then gestures. There will be a box that says "allow apps to recognize multiple touch points" or something like that. Try it with the box checked and with it not checked and see what happens.

AMDman18

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I can press multiple buttons at once but that isn't exactly the issue. I also tried what Phil mentioned in his post last night with no success. I'll have to figure out a way to post a video of it. Basically, in the multitouch test app, If i hold the phone in landscape, as if I'm playing a game, then place both thumbs in the lower corners, it registers fine. However, if I slowly move my left thumb up and down then repeatedly tap the right corner(an action commonly performed in 3D action games) it trips it up and starts reversing the thumb inputs and occasionally introducing a third input even though I only have two fingers on screen. A video would help. I'll try to figure something out.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I was then promptly told by the sales rep that the one device they had was being held for a paid order. Nevermind the fact that I was told over the phone minutes before that the one phone was available and that they DO NOT hold devices for customers.
Maybe they meant that they can't hold phones for unpaid customers. Either way, someone with a possibly defective unit should be considered a paid customer.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I can press multiple buttons at once but that isn't exactly the issue. I also tried what Phil mentioned in his post last night with no success. I'll have to figure out a way to post a video of it. Basically, in the multitouch test app, If i hold the phone in landscape, as if I'm playing a game, then place both thumbs in the lower corners, it registers fine. However, if I slowly move my left thumb up and down then repeatedly tap the right corner(an action commonly performed in 3D action games) it trips it up and starts reversing the thumb inputs and occasionally introducing a third input even though I only have two fingers on screen. A video would help. I'll try to figure something out.

Oh strange, I'll have to download a game and see if i have the same issue. maybe some games aren't optimized for the screen yet? who knows...

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
There was a game released recently Reign of Amira which was supposed to help showcase the screen, this worked fine with multi touch, not being a gamer I don't really understand what affects the software between units. And my expectations of vZ house reps I tend to keep very low... they often meet that standard.

AMDman18

May 27, 2010
Visit site
So I've "solved" the issue. I actually swapped it out for another phone and then it worked fine and I was happy. Then I re installed holo locker from the play store and started having the same issue. So holo locker WILL break the multi touch capabilities of the DNA. I just e-mailed the dev and hopefully get a response. So again, for anyone using the phone, DO NOT INSTALL HOLO LOCKER. At least not until it's updated.