Why blame Verizon for the lack of SD card?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
so we have come full circle and can pin it on Verizon

It's a little different though.

As I understand it, Verizon went to HTC and said let's do something and probably had some specs in mind. Those specs probably did not include an SD card slot so it really isn't a case of Verizon taking away something. It's more a case of people wanting something that Verizon was never going to ask HTC to add.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It's a little different though.

As I understand it, Verizon went to HTC and said let's do something and probably had some specs in mind. Those specs probably did not include an SD card slot so it really isn't a case of Verizon taking away something. It's more a case of people wanting something that Verizon was never going to ask HTC to add.

quite honestly I do not care who it is at fault or to blame, ultimately it comes down to this would really be a non issue on higher end phones if Google would not have come down on it. I guess what I am saying that they really are the ones at fault here. I say at fault on purpose. I think it is a really bad move at this stage of the game.When 64GB is the norm for storage then I can relax a bit. But we are obviously not there when Google's own flagship phone comes out with an absolutely pathetic 16Gb internal storage.

They should have stepped up and set a precedent and release a 32 and 64 GB model for something like 450 and 399.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
it is on KDDI in japan and has the radios to handle everything so in theory it will work on Verizon. Not sure what kind of speeds you will get with data.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
quite honestly I do not care who it is at fault or to blame, ultimately it comes down to this would really be a non issue on higher end phones if Google would not have come down on it. I guess what I am saying that they really are the ones at fault here. I say at fault on purpose. I think it is a really bad move at this stage of the game.When 64GB is the norm for storage then I can relax a bit. But we are obviously not there when Google's own flagship phone comes out with an absolutely pathetic 16Gb internal storage.

They should have stepped up and set a precedent and release a 32 and 64 GB model for something like 450 and 399.

On phones that offer multiple sizes of internal storage (8/16/32/64), I wonder what the breakdown is. These guys probably have data that helps their decisions.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I do not doubt it, but I have to believe that 16/32 is the sweet spot. The 8/16 to me is a PR thing. "Let's put out a dirt cheap Nexus, undercut the iPhone and see what floats"

The bad part is eventually it may backfire when people realize that 8/16 is inadequate...

ncapp11

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Normally OEM's show carriers offerings. But on this particular device it was carrier coming to OEM HTC has had it bad giving Verizon tons of leverage saying we will cover some cost and advertise the crap out of it but we say what goes basically

Sent from my SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure about the "advertise the crap out of it" part... I haven't really seen any marketing for it. No TV commercials and little to no in-store advertising. Hell, Best Buy employees hadn't even heard of it when I went in to fix an activation issue.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about the "advertise the crap out of it" part... I haven't really seen any marketing for it. No TV commercials and little to no in-store advertising. Hell, Best Buy employees hadn't even heard of it when I went in to fix an activation issue.

Exaggerated my bad the deal was that vzw would do the advertising and take the cost

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Everyone likes to bash the carriers (for good reasons), but I don't understand why everyone blames Verizon for the lack of SD slot on the DNA. Look at their lineup - the 2 Samsung phones (N2 and S3) both have SD. The Motorolas - Droid M, HD/Maxx all have slots. They have 2 Windows phones - the Nokia has SD slot, the HTC doesn't. Even the HTC Incredible LTE has an SD slot. The only phones on Verizon that lack the SD are the iPhone and the DNA.
And while Verizon definitely would profit from higher data usage for those w/out unlimited, all of their software 'enhancements' have been pushing people towards using wifi whenever possible - annoyingly so. Plus they are the only carrier to use the WP8 Datasense feature. It seems to me that they are actually discouraging data usage. They are almost complete in their LTE buildout, and it seems that they'd rather just milk the increased cash-flow from lower capital spending rather than go through another big round of buildouts.

Because Verizon asked HTC to build the phone and told them what features to include?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer