Possible HotSpot issue!

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't know how many of you use the HotSpot feature on your DNA, but the two times I have tried to use it I lose 4G signal and then it comes back. It will never stay permanently connected to 4g even if I have full bars of signal. My HotSpot works fine with all of my other Verizon phones. Anyone else had any problems with HotSpot on the DNA? Thanks.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I have thoroughly tested mine in several places and it doesn't work. Back to Verizon tomorrow to see if I can exchange it. I appreciate your feedback.

teebiss

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I used to have an old HTC Droid Incredible. Rooted, with wifi tethering. Worked flawlessly for years. Then, about a month ago, it stopped working.

I thought it was the ROM i was using (cyanogenmod) so i went back to stock. Wifi tethering still didn't work.

I thought maybe it was the wifi tethering app I was using, so i tried 2 different ones. Wifi tethering still didn't work.

OK, maybe it's the tower near work that I'm trying to get on. I'll try on the way home, and again at home. Still didn't work.

Well, maybe it's my iPad. I'll try my other devices. Tried my android tablet, macbook, and alienware laptop with both windows and ubuntu. Still didn't work.

It's gotta be my phone, I thought. So I got the Droid DNA. Hotspot doesn't work anywhere, with any of my devices.

Just for fun, let's try the wife's iPhone5 (also on Verizon). Hey, what do you know, it works flawlessly.

I'm thinking there has to be a flag on my account or something. Now I get to fight with Verizon tech support all day...

Charisma#WN

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have used hot spot powering a desk top and a portable at my warehouse. has worked every time. interesting though that the speed is slower on the tethered device than the DNA itself. tried a test of same web pages on both and the DNA was always faster. no problem just interesting

teebiss

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I just swapped out my DNA at my local Verizon store. So far, the results have been mixed.

My connection pauses briefly, then kicks back in after 20-30 seconds. This is slightly better than before--my connection just plain stopped.

Laptop and Android tablet are faring better than my iPad. The connection with my iPad 4th gen. freezes and doesn't come back.

Verizon reps said there were no known issues. But clearly I am not the only person having problems with hotspot.

Tempted to root, cyanogen mod, and wifi tether the old fashioned way...

Either that or take my DNA back and just get the iPhone. By the way, my wife's iPhone 5 is attached to my account and hotspot works flawlessly with all our devices and in all locations.

nextcity

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Other than briefly trying the hotspot when the phone arrived, I had not used it until seeing this thread. As I write this my hotspot is running an HD episode of Game of Thrones on my Roku device, an HD episode of Damages via Netflix on my Asus Transformer, an HD episode of Scandal via Hulu Plus on my Ipad, an HD video of Kony 2012 on my laptop via Youtube, an HD video review of the Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 via Youtube on my Blackberry PlayBook, and writing this reply on the DNA itself. So far after twenty minutes, no problems other than Hulu Plus cutting in and out. Thankfully, I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon.

teebiss

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Other than briefly trying the hotspot when the phone arrived, I had not used it until seeing this thread. As I write this my hotspot is running an HD episode of Game of Thrones on my Roku device, an HD episode of Damages via Netflix on my Asus Transformer, an HD episode of Scandal via Hulu Plus on my Ipad, an HD video of Kony 2012 on my laptop via Youtube, an HD video review of the Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 via Youtube on my Blackberry PlayBook, and writing this reply on the DNA itself. So far after twenty minutes, no problems other than Hulu Plus cutting in and out. Thankfully, I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon.

Which generation iPad do you have? I have the new 4th gen WiFi only iPad and I'm having the most problems with this device trying to connect to my DNA hotspot.

teebiss

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Which generation iPad are you using? I have the new 4th gen iPad and I'm having the most problems with this device trying to connect to my DNA hotspot.

aswintyv

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
This is definitely an issue - I swapped my phone to another DNA and it has the issue too. I had to get a hotspot gadget to work for now..
The folks at verizon tried it at the demo phone they had , and it had the same issue too ! This is definitely a wide-spread issue.