Wallpaper Resolution? How to properly set wallpaper?

PalmPrePlusPwns

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking online for wallpapers and when I find something I like,

I save a 1080p version of whatever wallpaper i like.

When i go to gallery, and select "set as" > "wallpaper" then proceed to crop the image for a wallpaper, it never comes out as crisp as I am expecting.

I think its because the walpapers I save are 1920x1080 should i be looking for 1080x1920 wallpapers?

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
that's a good question. The wall paper i have is a 1600x1068 and it looks amazing...I wonder if the type of image will also make a difference?

PalmPrePlusPwns

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
hmm, can't seem to figure this out.. pictures look great in landscape view when looking at the gallery, but as soon as I crop the photo for wallpaper, it doesnt turn out as crisp.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
hmm, can't seem to figure this out.. pictures look great in landscape view when looking at the gallery, but as soon as I crop the photo for wallpaper, it doesnt turn out as crisp.

When you crop the image you are losing resolution as the new (smaller) image is going to be stretched to fill the whole screen. Camera manufacturers used to pull this crap when they advertised that their cameras has 10-15x "digital" zooming. A complete scam that the public finally caught on to thankfully. Now all camera manufacturers only speak of "optical" zoom ratios as they should.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
When you crop the image you are losing resolution as the new (smaller) image is going to be stretched to fill the whole screen. Camera manufacturers used to pull this crap when they advertised that their cameras has 10-15x "digital" zooming. A complete scam that the public finally caught on to thankfully. Now all camera manufacturers only speak of "optical" zoom ratios as they should.

I figured this might be part of the problem, because the crop job is so small. So I'm guessing In order to get a 1080 crop you would have to have a higher resolution photo? To make up for that loss is what I'm thinking. But idk for sure.

PalmPrePlusPwns

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I figured this might be part of the problem, because the crop job is so small. So I'm guessing In order to get a 1080 crop you would have to have a higher resolution photo? To make up for that loss is what I'm thinking. But idk for sure.

If you haven't noticed, you can actually tap the edge of the crop box and some arrows will appear allowing you to make the crop area larger or smaller.

I open the crop box as big as it can be, but it's still not creating crisp wallpapers with 1920x1080 wallpapers..(and can't crop all the way to left or right)

I think finding an image that is higher resolution than 1920x1080 might be the trick.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
The way to solve this issue is to download picspeed HD wallpapers then when you click on the saved image and select set as wallpaper it will ask if you want to use the gallery to do so or the wallpapers app, use the app it will leave the resolution at 1080p.

scarrow666

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I find this super annoying as well. It seems like the gallery's wallpaper maker is still set up to create the old scrolling wallpapers but then for some reason wasn't updated. I've thought about doing what the poster above was talking about and finding another app to set it with. For now I've been cropping very hi-res photos.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't noticed, you can actually tap the edge of the crop box and some arrows will appear allowing you to make the crop area larger or smaller.

I open the crop box as big as it can be, but it's still not creating crisp wallpapers with 1920x1080 wallpapers..(and can't crop all the way to left or right)

I think finding an image that is higher resolution than 1920x1080 might be the trick.

awww thanks for that. I hadn't noticed that you can do that.

dr2349

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks,
For you wallpaper aficionados, my favorite website for wallpapers is called InterfaceLIFT: Wallpaper sorted by Date. For your computer, it will usually have the resolution automatically set to your native resolution. I found that the resolution of the red hexagon wallpaper on the DNA is set at 2048 x 1820, so I try to find pictures that have this resolution or comparable, and use an app called "Reduce Photo Size" to change the pixels. However, the easiest solution to me is to download the images to your computer, hook up your phone, use paint to resize the pics and then drag and drop on your phone. Hope this is helpful!

Edit: I suppose a program like dropbox to sync the photo would work just as great, so you wouldn't need to hook your phone up. I seem to have a hard time downloading photos from dropbox to the phone, however, as the option to do this is not as apparent to me, even after much searching. I usually end up emailing the image to myself to download it, as exporting it to the gallery seemingly does nothing.

TriangleZ

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
That is the site I use as well. I'm too lazy to resize it and I just download the entire image at some high resolution at 2560x1440 or higher and just crop it from there.

Or if you have a nice DSLR I can finally set nice photos into my phone and it looks amazing! Waaaay better on the DNA than my Incredible, I didn't even bother with that. Looks sharper on my DNA than my IPS monitor because of all those 440 pixels.

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This is the most annoying thing about this phone or Jelly bean whichever it is. I am loving my device but I miss that on my iPhone WHATEVER was ON SCREEN I could make the wallpaper. I do not like this small cropping tool they use. Is there any App that I can use to get around that? I dont want to have to go get modified versions of a picture everytime I want to change my wallpaper

PalmPrePlusPwns

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
This is the most annoying thing about this phone or Jelly bean whichever it is. I am loving my device but I miss that on my iPhone WHATEVER was ON SCREEN I could make the wallpaper. I do not like this small cropping tool they use. Is there any App that I can use to get around that? I dont want to have to go get modified versions of a picture everytime I want to change my wallpaper

Agree with this, I have found a FEW wallpapers at really high resolutions that look good, but its hard to find ones over 1080p,
And the crop tool is sorta clunky..

This is my only complaint about this phone so far..

Most wallpapers are 1920x1080.. The DNA's resolution is 1080x1920, wallpapers with that Height aren't abundant.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae