OTG - USB hosting

rayzryd266

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I have tried several methods to play music/movies with my flash drive via an OTG cable with no success. I have seen postings from people here and over at XDA saying that they achieved this in one form or another but I haven't been able to replicate it. At this point I am blaming on user error on my part. I can't even figure out how to access the "Mount USB storage" tab in settings > storage. Do I need to be rooted? Can anyone tell me what I need to do to achieve this? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
You must have a OTG cable first off, I don't believe a micro-usb standard cable would work.
Outside of that there is nothing you need to do, I've verified this on a Non Rooted AND Rooted DNA
You'll need some form of file manager, Astro / ESFile Explorer your preference.
You can have USB Debug (Developer Options) set or not set it doesn't matter

No mounting is required, but plug the flash drive in the cable, then into the phone
Check 'Storage' bottom of screen and see if it's connected.

Attachments

• OTG.jpg
    OTG.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 9

rayzryd266

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info - I have an OTG cable that I ordered through Amazon, however, when I plug this cable in, nothing happens. Every now and the I will get a notification saying "unable to charge device - please use the supported charger". My flash drive doesn't light up and I'm not seeing it on my phone through the settings tab or in astro file manager. Is there a specific cable that I should be using for this or should any OTG cable do. The ones I have look exactly like the one you and others are using.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown