iBOLT car-dock for HTC DNA coming...

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. In the next few days we will post the details here in this forum, on this Android site and our iBOLT website about our new forthcoming car-dock called "xProDock" that is designed for HTC phones and the DNA in particular. It features pass-through charging and also the activation of the car-mode. Based on a lot of feedback in forums we have also designed this new Dock so it works with thicker cases type Otterbox Defender, Ballistic etc. The insertion and removal is also a super convenient with 1-hand operation. The steel enforced microUSB for charing is on the side and manually inserted, this to be compatible with all cases. The retail price will be $39.95 and it will be exclusively available through Android Central initially.

As with all our other car-docks we have implemented a 17 mm ball joint on the back so if you prefer NOT to use our standard suction cup you can use any mounting arm or dashboard designed kit for Garmin (same ball joint). We are also offering the AMPS plate as an accessory for $9.95 for those of you that want to connect the dock to a ProClip vent mount, a KUDA leather mount or just about any mounting solution using the industry standard 32 x 38 mm hole pattern.

A lot of people are asking about wireless charging. The answer is that we are working on it and sometime in the next few months our wireless dock is coming. The only reservation is that the Qi technology (what is used in the DNA) itself is very limited in reach. When using no case, or a thin case it works great but the charging is less then optimal when using an Otterbox type case, pretty much what has been reported on the many wireless charging pads. We believe by the 2nd half of 2013 the technology will have improved and a good end user experience can be offered with our forthcoming wireless charging dock even when using a case. Stay tuned...

Sign up for the release information by sending an email to info@ibolt.co and you will be notified with a link later this week. Feel free to ask questions and we'll keep this tread going once the product is shipping too... thanks!

Last edited:

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the news. I am especially interested in the Qi compatible mount as well, but this sounds like a great start.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... If you could post another time once the product is announced, those that are subscribed to this thread will get the updates. Email already sent per instructions, thanks!

rfmike

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I sent my Email off as well. I would really like a Wireless car dock. That would be a one of a kind thing.

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
The new HTC car-dock is now in production and here is the page where it can be per-ordered. We guarantee 2nd week of January... When the wireless charging dock comes (end of Q 1) we'll send a nice discount coupon to anyone that has purchased this one. After much internal discussions (and reading all comments in XDA and Android Central about car-docks) we decided to go with a microUSB steel enforced arm on the side instead of doing a vertical microUSB "slide on" solution. The reason is that we felt a strong customer demand to make this new Dock compatible with Otterbox Defender, Ballistic, Trident type cases, which is very challenging otherwise. the rest of the features are: (with comment)

1. Spring loaded latch. Users told us they don't want to insert the phone and have to "fold down" the latch. This makes is a smooth 1-step motion to insert the phone. The opening supports phones up to 92 mm (essentially a Note II with a thick case).

2. Expandable feet to fit phones up to 18 mm thick. Adding an Otterbox Defender to an HTC DNA makes it twice as thick!

3. 17 mm ball joint mount on the back of the Dock. Turn any direction with one hand. The Dock also works with any mounting solution compatible with Garmin, type a dashboard mount etc. For anyone preferring a ProClip vent mount or KUDA leather mount type solution you can just add an AMPS mounting adapter and they will play nicely together.

4. Automatically triggering car-mode. The microUSB arm starts the HTC driving app (see pictures) but on Google Play there's several good apps, including CarHome Ultra, that can be used as a replacement "default" car-home screen.

5. A 9ft (2.7meter) USB charging cord is also in the box. This makes it possible to place the Dock on the left side of the steering wheel, where it is out of the way and within easy reach. This position is also "legal" in California. The other end of the cable plugs in to the USB port on the car. If you don't have one in your car, plug into a 12 Volt car charger featuring a USB port (which most people probably already have?).

6. Open back so the Dock can function as a "dash cam" without any blockage. We're amazed how many people seems to use this feature.

7. Compact and pretty stylish size. Much smaller footprint then even a medium size HTC phone. Users like you guys have told us that when the phone is not in the Dock you don't want a big "blob" of plastic obstruction the view.

Well, that's it folks! Price is $44.95 but $5 off until end of December for pre-orders. Feel free to comment and we'll do our best to answer any questions or suggestions.

Attachments

• xPro-Forum-image.jpg
    xPro-Forum-image.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the updates and for offering the car dock... I love my DNA but am very sadly missing a car dock! Mine's all pre-ordered!

My only suggestion (and I don't know if this can be changed at this point), but I would consider including a USB to Car Charger adapter. My car only has a USB port for Apple devices :( Though I do have some old USB-to-car adapters, I don't know if they will provide the correct amount of power and am a bit worried that I may mess something up on the phone. Just my $.02

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
All, here's some new pictures showing the new iBOLT xProDock with the Otterbox Defender case, which should be about the thickest case available. It works really well and as you can see on the pictures the Dock can be used as horizontal or vertical position, whatever your preferences are. The power cords are not shown in the images. You can can also see that the camera is completely exposes so for those of you that like to use the xProDock as a "dash cam" there's no interference from the holder itself. To order here on Android Central, click here.

Attachments

• Otterbox-Defender-HTC-DNA.jpg
    Otterbox-Defender-HTC-DNA.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 55

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad