Battery Life Issues, what are you guys running?

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I know we have a lot of battery life threads and I absolutely love this phone but mine is not getting good battery life. I'm an advanced android user, I know it well and I do know that some devices just have bugs which kill battery life. My last device (an S3) had great battery life, I replaced it when the GPS radio died on it and the new one was atrocious on battery life with the same settings so I know they can differ. I look on here and some of you guys are getting great battery life, my question is do you have google now and gps disabled to achieve this?

Right now i'm getting 10 hours of battery life with moderate usage, minimum sync settings, gps and wifi on, screen running around 40% brightness. It doesn't seem right, should I return it and exchange for another device?

Thanks

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I know we have a lot of battery life threads and I absolutely love this phone but mine is not getting good battery life. I'm an advanced android user, I know it well and I do know that some devices just have bugs which kill battery life. My last device (an S3) had great battery life, I replaced it when the GPS radio died on it and the new one was atrocious on battery life with the same settings so I know they can differ. I look on here and some of you guys are getting great battery life, my question is do you have google now and gps disabled to achieve this?

Right now i'm getting 10 hours of battery life with moderate usage, minimum sync settings, gps and wifi on, screen running around 40% brightness. It doesn't seem right, should I return it and exchange for another device?

Thanks

Doesn't seem right, I'd get a new one. I would consider myself a moderate user (texting throughout the day, a few phone calls, some web browsing / flipboard and maybe ~30min game playing) and I regularly get 15-20 hours on Wi-Fi.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
There are many variables that go into battery consumption 10 hrs but it depends alot on your 4g/3g coverage (prob highest killer if your switching back and forth where you live). I'm not sure 10hrs would be returnable, but you can try.

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I put my apps on there, reset it and just did moderate usage, and it was noticeably much better than the last device. For the entire day today I did 3.7% with three phone calls for about an hour, streamed google music for 45 minutes and about 70 text messages and messed around on FB for 30 min probably. I don't know what was up with the last device except I think I got a bad battery. Its really great now....

BHBandit

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought one of those wireless chargers. I leave work fully charged every day. Put it on the charger on my desk instead of on a belt clip or in my pocket.

schwinn123

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I put my apps on there, reset it and just did moderate usage, and it was noticeably much better than the last device. For the entire day today I did 3.7% with three phone calls for about an hour, streamed google music for 45 minutes and about 70 text messages and messed around on FB for 30 min probably. I don't know what was up with the last device except I think I got a bad battery. Its really great now....

Only burned 3.7% after doing all of that? I go through that without hardly touching the phone in an hour. I must have somethin wrong..

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Schwinn uncheck verizon location in the location settings, and also I only have the gmail syncing and other pop email every 15 minutes. I have location on and wifi on. All my twitter, Facebook, dropbox and every other account is set up as do not sync. When I open them they update so no reason to have that stuff running in the background. Try that you'll be amazed how much it helps it.

schwinn123

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Schwinn uncheck verizon location in the location settings, and also I only have the gmail syncing and other pop email every 15 minutes. I have location on and wifi on. All my twitter, Facebook, dropbox and every other account is set up as do not sync. When I open them they update so no reason to have that stuff running in the background. Try that you'll be amazed how much it helps it.

thanks ptm, it seems like i have everything set up pretty close to what you said. my emails are at 15min, all my google and maps location stuff is off, however i didnt uncheck the verizon location because i didnt know what that may affect. i dont use facebook, dropbox, twitter etc. the only thing i use is instagram and that only updates when i open it anyway. my normal day is 9 hours of the phone laying in my toolbox not being used for anything besides some texting, and some messing around at night and i always end up below 40%. so a day with some moderate use would never happen, im thinking somethings up. going to stop at verizon tonight.

E_PEV

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
All locations on, manual sync for everything, brightness at about 10%, wifi 90% of the time, and moderate usage. I drain about 20% battery per hour of screen time and 1% per hour of idle. For example, today my phones been off the charger for 9 hrs with 1 hour of screen time texting, navigation for a bit, and checking facebook, I'm at 71%. Does that seem normal?

Last edited:

schwinn123

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I had locations on, wifi 98% of the day, auto brightness, and screen on time was about 1 hour and that was from just checking battery and settings. After 11 total hours from a full charge, was down to 55%. Does that seem right?

seems better than me, i had locations off, wifi off half the day, screen time probably about the same and auto brightness. 9.5 hours at 31%

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I wish there was some way to identify what kind of use we really have as a comparison. I think I am moderate user with my phone off the charger at about 0630 and not back on until 2200 at the earliest. The battery is almost always above 10%. I'm starting to think that everyone's experience is so unique that comparisons don't really apply.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

E_PEV

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I wish there was some way to identify what kind of use we really have as a comparison. I think I am moderate user with my phone off the charger at about 0630 and not back on until 2200 at the earliest. The battery is almost always above 10%. I'm starting to think that everyone's experience is so unique that comparisons don't really apply.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Very true so it's hard to know if your phone has a problem or not. I thought mine was draining fast based on these "comparisons" so I took into the Verizon store. The rep said that what I was getting is normal and had a someone from tech support tell me the same thing meaning no replacement for me. I wish it were easier to make comparisons so I could know for sure

schwinn123

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Very true so it's hard to know if your phone has a problem or not. I thought mine was draining fast based on these "comparisons" so I took into the Verizon store. The rep said that what I was getting is normal and had a someone from tech support tell me the same thing meaning no replacement for me. I wish it were easier to make comparisons so I could know for sure

Just left the verizon store, was told the same thing. 12 hours of charge is standard. but i dont know what her standard meant, she wouldnt say. i wouldnt call my days standard and at 10.5 hours im at 25%. just seems kind of bad, the old iphone 4 wouldn't have drained down to 25% with muchhhhh more use. In fact i rarely saw under 50% ever. But this phone blows that phone away, so who knows.

E_PEV

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just left the verizon store, was told the same thing. 12 hours of charge is standard. but i dont know what her standard meant, she wouldnt say. i wouldnt call my days standard and at 10.5 hours im at 25%. just seems kind of bad, the old iphone 4 wouldn't have drained down to 25% with muchhhhh more use. In fact i rarely saw under 50% ever. But this phone blows that phone away, so who knows.

This exactly and I also came from an iPhone 4. I was told 12 hours for the DNA by the tech support. They even went as far as noting my account with the fact that the battery life is normal in case I tried somewhere else and I thought that was a bit ridiculous. It may be normal for my use and it may not be but if its draining significantly faster than what other people are saying, I have no problem calling Verizon and taking things higher

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Yea its weird if you go over to xda some guys are getting insane battery life, like over 20 hours and 5-6 hours on screen time. I'm running at 5% an hour with pretty heavy usage and around 3.5% an hour with moderate. At 5% an hour I would be around that 20 hour mark but thats about 3 hours of screen time not 5-6. I do think a lot of this has to do whether your using wifi or not to stay connected and how well your 4g signal is in your area. My 4g is ok about 100dbm at home and I work from home but it doesn't switch around searching for 3g, if it does that the battery life goes in the tank and thats with any phone. My results are in a controlled environment 80% of the time unless I leave, that makes a big difference ...

E_PEV

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yea its weird if you go over to xda some guys are getting insane battery life, like over 20 hours and 5-6 hours on screen time. I'm running at 5% an hour with pretty heavy usage and around 3.5% an hour with moderate. At 5% an hour I would be around that 20 hour mark but thats about 3 hours of screen time not 5-6. I do think a lot of this has to do whether your using wifi or not to stay connected and how well your 4g signal is in your area. My 4g is ok about 100dbm at home and I work from home but it doesn't switch around searching for 3g, if it does that the battery life goes in the tank and thats with any phone. My results are in a controlled environment 80% of the time unless I leave, that makes a big difference ...

5% an hour of screen time? Screen time + idle? Or just idle? I ask because I can get 3 hours of screen time easily before dying from a full charge. Is that what you're getting?