Battery Life Issues, what are you guys running?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Moderate usage 15 hrs today from full charge to 5% not doing anything special for battery conservation.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
5% an hour of screen time? Screen time + idle? Or just idle? I ask because I can get 3 hours of screen time easily before dying from a full charge. Is that what you're getting?
Screen time plus idle, yea thats pretty good, your good from that angle. I can't get 5 or 6 hours of screen time. Today I averaged 3:30 screen time and I have 18% left. I unplugged at 7 this morning so I'm at 17 hours right now. But like I was saying its hard for all of us to compare because environment matters so much to battery life, I only left my house for an hour today so I stayed in my signal and was on good wifi all day. I imagine if I was gone all day, utilizing just LTE I wouldn't be getting such great life - maybe 25% less. Friday I will be flying to maine and home that night - I'm curious how it will do then. I'll definitely let you know. Either way I think 12-14 hours is good for these devices, especially how powerful they are. Anything less than 12 would really suck..

E_PEV

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Screen time plus idle, yea thats pretty good, your good from that angle. I can't get 5 or 6 hours of screen time. Today I averaged 3:30 screen time and I have 18% left. I unplugged at 7 this morning so I'm at 17 hours right now. But like I was saying its hard for all of us to compare because environment matters so much to battery life, I only left my house for an hour today so I stayed in my signal and was on good wifi all day. I imagine if I was gone all day, utilizing just LTE I wouldn't be getting such great life - maybe 25% less. Friday I will be flying to maine and home that night - I'm curious how it will do then. I'll definitely let you know. Either way I think 12-14 hours is good for these devices, especially how powerful they are. Anything less than 12 would really suck..

Definition of "heavy", "moderate", and "light" vary as well. Since were getting similar overall screen time and overall daily time but very different hourly drain, I would say our definition of "heavy use" in an hour is different haha. I'm curious to see what kind of battery life you'll get as well. Your previous DNA had a battery problem then?

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Yea it was bad, I couldn't even get eight hours and the battery would charge completely from zeroin less than an hour. I think it had damaged cells or something. I took it back to Verizon and told them the bluetooth would disconnect at times, thats how I got new one with no hassle...I lied :p

unger316

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Getting a full day easily

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355382575747.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355382575747.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 34

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Glad I didn't wait for this phone. Coming from the Thunderbolt I'm tired of having to turn everything off to not worry about the battery dying. 10% brightness? No push email? What a headache.

As for the chart right above me, the screen time over 37 hours appears to be less than 2 hours. That's seriously light usage of a phone. And you also dropped about 20% in battery life while using the phone for 45 minutes just before 6pm.

unger316

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Glad I didn't wait for this phone. Coming from the Thunderbolt I'm tired of having to turn everything off to not worry about the battery dying. 10% brightness? No push email? What a headache.

As for the chart right above me, the screen time over 37 hours appears to be less than 2 hours. That's seriously light usage of a phone. And you also dropped about 20% in battery life while using the phone for 45 minutes just before 6pm.

Thanks for reading the chart for me! :) lol. Anyway I have a tablet so the phone only gets used for calling and texting . very little web surfing away from home. The charts not suppose to represent heavy usage. I'm just happy it holds a charge when not in use.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

I agree, turning off push, adjusting screen brightness, and mucking with radios would be a pain in the ass. There are many of us that don't do that and make it through the day just fine.

I think the only way to judge a battery is to use the device yourself. Use is personal and there is just no way to validate that that someone else's experience will correlate. That isn't to say that people won't have similar experiences, just that experience is difficult to qualify explicitly enough for validation.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Well you can smart tune your phone and make it more effective and turning off Facebook and any other app that updates when you open it is just being smart. I did this on my razr maxx, it's just a point of being easy on the entire system and the battery. Personally I don't turn down my screen and still get killer battery life on this device. My Gmail is push and my regular email I don't need at a moments notice so I prefer to do 15 minute intervals. And anyone who needs six hours of on screen time is way too distracted by their phone and needs a life. That's 25 percent of your day and nearly 35 if you consider sleep an option. No wonder why the divorce rate is so high lol :)

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
And anyone who needs six hours of on screen time is way too distracted by their phone and needs a life. That's 25 percent of your day and nearly 35 if you consider sleep an option. No wonder why the divorce rate is so high lol :)

I completely agree with this, Even like 4 hours I think is ridiculous. Some might say "I need it for work" but I'm not sure what type of professional job would require you to be on your phone for 4 hours out of your 8 hour workday. I check and write emails, and even edit and write papers and presentations on my phone and have yet to ever hit even 3 hours of screen on time.

Hickory Shampoo

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I think mine is going back this weekend to exchange for a Maxx HD. This aggravates me, as I feel like I gave HTC a second chance after suffering with the Thunderbolt and it's battery shenanigans. Add to that the time I've invested getting my DNA set up and I'm about ready to punch myself in the groin for not going with the larger battery on the Maxx HD in the first place. *sigh*

Hickory Shampoo

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and for my usage, I unplugged at 04:30, started using it with about 95% at 06:00 and as of 08:30, I have about 26%. Spent 20 minutes playing a game and the rest has been surfing. This is ridiculous. My TB even beats this.

djbentle

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Here is my usage for yesterday. Over all I'm very happy. This included several app downloads, regular Facebook, email, etc checking more than 2 hours of games, and a fair amount of web surfing. It was on wifi most of the day, so that helps. I even got about an hour of kindle reading after this and it still wasn't dead.

uploadfromtaptalk1355508069438.jpg

I have pretty much default sync settings, even several weather apps I'm testing out. And auto screen brightness. I haven't done anything to optimize battery.

This phone is way better than my Fascinate was even when it was new. I have to try really hard not to make it through a day with my usage. I'm really curious if the variability we see is different usage, different cell coverage, or actual variation in the phones.

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at it compared to others, my phone does seem to wake up more frequently without the screen on than people that have turned the sync settings off, or longer. I think there is still room to improve this battery usage. My usage may be lighter than a lot of people. I don't stream music all day, or do anything for hours at time, but yesterday was a moderately heavy use day for me, and I still had no problem making it the whole day. I got another full hour of screen time out of it reading, before I plugged it in that's not in this chart.

Last edited:

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I haatte battery issues, because CS reps usually just tell you you're not doing much to conserve your battery or whatnot. I nave a Nexus 7, and I'm only getting about 4 hours' screen time tops--with GPS off, brightness always at min OR 50% below min, only browsing the web and not playing games, etc. When I called, the dumbass rep told me it was because I had a lot of music stored on my device. She was like 'OH, YOU HAVE 6GB OF MUSIC STORED? YEAHHHP, THAT'LL DO IT, THAT'LL DO IT'.

How many hours' screen time should I expect with this device, given min. brightness, GPS off, wifi off, light usage (checking email, browsing web, etc--no monster apps), etc?

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
This phone is way better than my Fascinate was even when it was new. I have to try really hard not to make it through a day with my usage. I'm really curious if the variability we see is different usage, different cell coverage, or actual variation in the phones.

Ah yes, the Fascinate! That phone and the Charge all but burned me out on Samsung.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Mil time, so that's the course of 2.5 hrs.

I've disabled everything but GPS. VZ Location is off and most auto-updating is off. I'm running Advanced Task Killer on "crazy" to zap the rest. Unplugging now to check.

did you try running without Advanced Task Killer? Jelly Bean manages process fairly well, task killers can increase your battery usage.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Mil time, so that's the course of 2.5 hrs.

I've disabled everything but GPS. VZ Location is off and most auto-updating is off. I'm running Advanced Task Killer on "crazy" to zap the rest. Unplugging now to check.

If you're running ATK that's the cause of your issues right there. Task killers haven't been needed since Eclair ... Android manages background tasks on its own and you are just fighting that and wasting even more battery.

I'm getting 16+ hrs of battery every day since I got it on Monday and doing nothing special to conserve battery.

djbentle

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
For the people having battery issues, are you running the Sense launcher? Or some other one? I don't know if there is anything to it or not, but I've seen threads over at XDA where people said they were getting substantially better battery life using Sense for some reason.