Help! DNA vs Maxx HD vs Galaxy SIII

fco2013

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
So I'm FINALLY up for an upgrade, and I've narrowed it down to these three phones, for three different reasons. (there's a tl;dr, if you want)

See last time I upgraded I got the OG Droid Incredible. Good phone right? Indeed it was, but I made an awful decision of getting it at it's End-of-Life. So at the present moment, instead of the usual 1 or 2 generations behind in terms of tech, I'm -3- generations behind. So I just want to go all out, this time, and get the absolute best.

That's why I selected the DNA first and foremost. It's the bleeding edge, best phone out right now. It's literally perfect in every way to me; monster specs, latest software, good design, etc.

But there are two things that bother me: Battery and Storage.

First, Battery:
As we all know the OG Incredible had HORRENDOUS battery life. I'm not about that life, and I certainly don't want to deal with that again. Hence the Maxx HD and SIII.

The Maxx HD has that MASSIVE battery, which sounds like a dream to have. The SIII, while it doesn't have as a big a battery, the one it has is removable, making swaps easy and possible. Granted I could just get an external battery pack for the DNA, but they can be pricey.

Second, Storage:
I love the fact that my phone has a MicroSD card slot. I current use an 8GB card w/ the 8GB onboard, so I'm running basically the equivalent of the DNA. I still have about 2 or 3 gigs to spare, and the only thing stopping me from downloading more apps is that pesky "low memory" issue with older versions of android. So I think I'd be fine with the 11 or so that you use with the DNA, and I'll also use my current phone as my music player (which is the bulk of what uses up my storage). So this one isn't as much of an issue as the battery.

(tl;dr) So basically.

Is the performance and monster specs a worthy trade off for a non removable battery and less storage?

And another big thing, exactly how big is the difference between the quad and dual core processors' performance? I want to be as future proof as possible after the last time I upgraded, so do you think the extra 2 cores will be advantageous in the future?

And in addition to these questions if you could just write your thoughts on the comparison of the three devices that would be great. I know the differences and the pros and cons, but I'd like to hear other peoples opinions on these three devices, and how they stack up against each other.

Or do I just play the waiting game?

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on your needs, battery life is not something i care about, yes more storage would be nice the DNA more then my needs, speed being one.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey welcome to the AC forums! Check out some other threads in here. These comparisons have been discussed a few times before.

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Help! DNA vs Maxx HD vs Galaxy S3

All 3 phones are going to be fast as far as real world every day use performance. I own the Maxx HD and I'd bet the UI is the least smooth of the 3 but as far as web browsing, pulling up apps, etc. they are all going to be fast.

The Maxx HD is going to have the best battery life without question. I get anywhere from 35-70+ hours on mine. From what I know about the other two phones, they will get you through the day just fine.

The S3 and DNA have better camera software. The Maxx HD gets beat up over it's camera inconsistencies but it's not as bad as some people portray..especially something to take quick everyday pictures.

The DNA will have the nicest and biggest screen but all 3 have nice screens.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 depending on your needs. I've always liked the Motorola radios and hardware durability plus with the battery life, so I chose the Maxx HD.

talonsmith

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

I think the most telling way to decide is look at the website blog posts for Droids. They are all mostly sporting a DNA or Note II now in their screen shots on daily posts. The experts can't let go of the DNA's.

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I was deciding between the exact same three devices when my upgrade came a couple weeks ago. I went with the Droid DNA and based off of what you've written I think you should as well.

Like you I wanted the phone with the latest and greatest hardware, so the DNA was my frontrunner...but that small 2020 battery was holding me back. Coming from an htc thunderbolt where the extended battery was a must, I was very concerned about a non-removable battery. I didnt want a device with awesome specs that I was afraid to use for fear of the battery dying.

Obviously the Razr maxx hd has a beast of a battery its always gonna win in that department. But was it worth it just for battery? The DNA had the Maxx beat in every category of hardware; quad vs dual core, 2G v 1G RAM, 1080p v 720 p screen and a larger screen. So was all that worth sacrificing for the larger battery on the Maxx? I still wasnt sure.

So that left me to look at the GS III. What I found is it has all the same hardware specs as the Razr Maxx HD except it has 2G of RAM. It also has a superior camera despite them having the same hardware. Its battery is removable so that kept the option of an extended battery or swapping multiple batteries if needed. However I was unimpressed with the plastics used to design the galaxy. It didnt feel like that high end phone build like the DNA and the Maxx HD did. Also coming from a brick of a phone with my extended battery Thunderbolt, I didnt want to do the same thing with my GS3 just to get better battery life. For me that essentially ruled out the GS3. Unless you really love TouchWiz or want some of the features the software has the Maxx HD has everything the GS3 has with the battery to boot.

So now left with the DNA and the RMHD I was still torn. To me the internal storage wasnt an issue. I dont mind using the cloud and usually have wifi so I dont worry about data overages. So it still came down to the battery. Did I really want to buy a device I'm suppossed to have for 2 years, that from the hardware standpoint was inferior just for its battery. What finally pushed me over the edge to the DNA was the extended return policy over the holidays. I would be able to test a phone until mid January, so I decided to go for the DNA and see what its battery is really like.

I've had the DNA for about 2 weeks now and I have not regretted my decision. I work 10 hr days and whenever I have downtime I'm on my phone. It is possible for me to get access to an outlet for a mid day "top-off" but I wanted to see if it could handle my use though the whole day without a charge. At first I was a bit concerned because when the screen of this device is on the battery does take a hit. However what saves this device is how well it manages the battery in standby. If you leave the phone alone it only loses a few percent per hour. So in my trail with what I call heavy use because I was constantly playing with the thing, the phone was lasting easily 12-14 hours.

Now with more moderate usage I get around 18-20 hrs of battery life. My usual day is running on wi-fi, screen on auto-brightness, no bluetooth, and usually gps off when not using it. I have about 3hrs of screen on time during that period, some texting, and frequently checking FB and web browsing. And I've seen plenty of people on these forums who have better battery life than that. I will also say it recharges relatively quickly so if I do give it a mid day charge to be safe, an hour on the charger is good for about an extra 25%.

With all that said I truly think the DNA is the best device. The battery may not be what the Maxx HD is, but it makes it through the day on a single charge. So instead of having to sacrifice the hardware for battery life, you can still have the top of the line specs and a battery that gets you through the day by choosing the DNA

wolfedude88

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site

As much as I like the GS3, I would say go for either the Maxx HD or DNA. The Razr HD Maxx battery life is seriously awesome, best reason to consider it right there. The Droid DNA is on another level with the screen, gorgeous display.

Heck all three phones are great and a good choice.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I know my opinion is not popular, but I really don't care.
1.I hate vanilla Android. Its so bland. Like eating a tomato without salt. Plus I like a removable battery and SD card. Why are android phones trying to fit in with apple. Those 2 things are the benchmark at what sets apple and android apart.

2. Moto has amazing hardware but their ui is not as easy to navigate as touchwiz. They have been encrypting their boot loaders too so keep that in mind if you decide to tinker. The battery is amazing. I don't like the fact that they have gone to an enclosed battery.

3. I currently have the sgs3 and so far its the best phone I've ever owned. Touchwiz rocks.

All of this is my opinion. My advice would be to go and try the phones out and see what you like.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Is the performance and monster specs a worthy trade off for a non removable battery and less storage?

And another big thing, exactly how big is the difference between the quad and dual core processors' performance? I want to be as future proof as possible after the last time I upgraded, so do you think the extra 2 cores will be advantageous in the future?

That's the $64k question. Does quad-core RIGHT NOW mean anything to you as a user. Will it in 1 year? In 2 years? Is there a performance issue with a dual core vs a quad core? Is there a performance issue between 1 gig RAM and 2 gig?

With processors and memory, it's pretty safe to assume that "bigger is better". But, what's not known right now is whether the change is noticeable.
I would assume future iterations of Android will absolutely take advantage of the hardware, but right now I assume not so much.

The size of the device should also be a consideration. I don't mind telling you that the Maxx HD is a big phone. The DNA is even bigger. My humble opinion is that the Rezound (for reference) is a wonderfully sized piece of hardware, but EVERYONE has their own opinion on that.

The DNA is an early foray into quad core and 1080p. The Samsung and Maxx are both "mature" products that are basically continuations of a previous device.

The DNA cannot support simultaneous voice/data on 3g, where the Maxx and Samsung can.

Really, it's going to be up to you. Sense is definitely different than Blur. I've had Sense on Gingerbread and ICS, and now have Blur on Jellybean. I'm digging it, but honestly believe we all make due with what we have. The beauty of Android is that if you don't like something, there's a good chance you'll find alternative software in the market.... free.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Have owned all three and the Note 2. And I am back on the DNA, if your ok with sense you will love this phone.

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Have owned all three and the Note 2. And I am back on the DNA, if your ok with sense you will love this phone.

Same exact thing here, owned all three plus the note 2 and they are all the best smartphones in their class ...period. I chose the DNA because of the screen and build quality, in hand feel, once you use it its amazing. The best balanced device is the S3 and the best battery life is the Maxx (which is due for a jellybean upgrade in the next few weeks). You can't go wrong with any of them Verizon is killing with device options right now. Depends what works for you but the camera on the DNA and the S3 are tops. The DNA also has wireless charging and the HTC overlay for once is actually really good. HTC did great with this product...

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Same exact thing here, owned all three plus the note 2 and they are all the best smartphones in their class ...period. I chose the DNA because of the screen and build quality, in hand feel, once you use it its amazing. The best balanced device is the S3 and the best battery life is the Maxx (which is due for a jellybean upgrade in the next few weeks). You can't go wrong with any of them Verizon is killing with device options right now. Depends what works for you but the camera on the DNA and the S3 are tops. The DNA also has wireless charging and the HTC overlay for once is actually really good. HTC did great with this product...

To expand on this post, The DNA has HANDS DOWN the best screen IMO. Also a better if not as good camera then the S3 throw in wireless charging and a solid non plasticy feeling build... DNA wins for me every time.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Is Sense basically just a launcher? Could I use Nova Launcher instead, or would that process require rooting?

bassjo

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I have rocked a SGS3 since it's release and am now rocking the DNA. I can't see any applicable difference between the two. Yes, the screen on the DNA is awesome, but except for the very infrequent lag of my SGS3, the difference between the quad-core of the DNA vs the dual-core of the SGS3 in real world examples is hardly noticeable. The battery life is pretty darn close too, I average 13-17 hrs on either phone. I love the build quality of the DNA vs the SGS3. I hate the placement of the power/ wake button and the stupid charging cover on the DNA. I love the physical home/ wake button of the SGS3. So it's 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other. Play around with all the devices that tweak your interest and search these forums, see what works best for your application.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Is Sense basically just a launcher? Could I use Nova Launcher instead, or would that process require rooting?

You can use any of the after market launchers. If you prefer the stock look, Nova works fine. If you like something similar to stock but different, Action launcher works too.

Steve

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I hate the placement of the power/ wake button and the stupid charging cover on the DNA.

Seriously, guys, just cut off the charging cover. Mine has already fallen off and I don't miss it for a moment!

Sent from Tapatalk on my HTC Droid DNA

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The DNA seems like a decent device, but seriously, no removable storage or battery? What a mess for any who is away from a charger.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums

Charisma#WN

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The DNA wins handily for its screen and matching camera. the first and only true 1080p screen means blue ray quality. the 4 core is snappier than any other I have seen. I wirelessly charge every night and love not having to find and manipulate cables in the dark when I check email and stuff. Sense is now okay and better than pure google. Beats audio is great when using headphones or separate speaker. memory chip would be nice but the cloud is an easy compromise on wifi and dropbox. battery life is acceptable going all day moderate. I streamed Patriots blow out for three hours on sling box and it was tough but had 18% left---that is quite a feat and unusual. only negative is non removable battery to me but that is not a today concern. biggest issue is Verizon interference with their programs impinging on others such as Voice and messaging. they suck but that is not the DNA. summation: get it for the screen as it beats the stuffing out of every other phone on the market and many tablets! My usage of my tablet is 15% of what it was before the DNA.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
No different than any device away from a charger. When a battery dies, it doesn't matter if it's removable or not. Sure, you can change batteries, but so what? That no different than carrying a power pack that can be used to charge a variety of devices. You also don't have to buy a power pack every time you buy a new device.

Steve

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173