SwiftKey vs Stock Keyboard

dnidi82

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Would like to know everyones opinion of Swift Key vs the Stock Keyboard. I am new to android, but have used both over the last couple weeks. I havent noticed any real advantage to Swiftkey. I think they both have very similar features. Both do a good job of suggesting words and corrections. In some ways I like the stock keyboard better, just not sure yet.

What does everyone think?

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The longer you use Swiftkey the better it will get, it has to learn from you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
^ seriously.

At first I was like wow, it's not really that accurate or easy to press the right letters. But once you use it for a while, you can literally like type NONE of the correct letters, but it knows exactly WHICH letters you meant to press , so I can now type like - as fast as I think, which is something to say on a phone! And once it learns from your Facebook, SMS, blog, Twitter, etc. I find myself pressing the next word continuously and it knows exactly what I was going to say, like type someone's first name, it suggests last name, type "by" and it'll assume "the" and "way" are next. And the skins are great, best keyboard I've ever encountered!

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I prefer SwiftKey too. Not because I think the htc keyboard is bad, it just doesn't have some of the features of have grown accustomed to with SwiftKey. The long press actions are perfect and I really prefer the number pad style number layout. I do find that I sometimes hit a letter rather than the space bar, SwiftKey almost always catches it for me.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ya SwiftKey is pretty incredible. The predictions get so good that sometimes you don't even have to type anything. It even remembers custom words and names after a while. But that being said some of the new stock keyboards are getting a lot better. I also like the fact that you can add arrow keys to the keyboard. Handy for moving around.

Have you tried the new SwiftKey Flow? It out in beta and can be downloaded for free. It adds the Swype style of keystrokes to the regular keyboard. Worth a try.
SwiftKey Flow Beta Available for Download

joemd60

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I bought the paid version of SwiftKey3. The stock keyboard on my Stellar, is a pain in the a$$ to type on.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Android Central Forums

dnidi82

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I will keep with the Swiftkey for now, since I paid for it. I am impressed with stock keyboard on the DNA. I believe they have really stepped up the functionality to match a lot of what Swiftkey brings.

thanks all for the input.

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
htc keyboard, after all these years, STILL hiccups and lags, and then has to catch up to you and spazzes out. yuck. SwiftKey all the way!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
htc keyboard, after all these years, STILL hiccups and lags, and then has to catch up to you and spazzes out. yuck. SwiftKey all the way!

Yeah, I've also seen the same with the Android Stock keyboard. I'm not sure what SwiftKey does, but they sure seem to known what they are doing with both predictions and performance.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

rfmike

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
SwiftKey isn't bad at all. I use that more then the jelly bean kb

Sent Via the Forms App on my DNA, Tab 10.1 or my OG Evolved(work phone).

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Btw, has Swiftkey lagged on this phone for anybody? I'm coming from an old phone so it's probably due to that, but a lot of the times I'll type faster than it recognizes me, not every time, but sometimes. And sometimes a key will like get froze and stay displaying like, the square and "K" or any other letter and I have to reset to get it to go away!

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Btw, has Swiftkey lagged on this phone for anybody? I'm coming from an old phone so it's probably due to that, but a lot of the times I'll type faster than it recognizes me, not every time, but sometimes. And sometimes a key will like get froze and stay displaying like, the square and "K" or any other letter and I have to reset to get it to go away!

yes. SwiftKey 3 is utter crap. i refuse to use it because it's much worse than SwiftKey x, and lags on every phone I own (nexus, s3, rezound, dna)... i still use SwiftKey x on them all.. just wish x had that space bar correction thing. flow isn't bad, but i use the swipe left to delete too often that i can't live without it anymore, yet another reason why when they updates 3 to have flow it will be awful.

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
yes. SwiftKey 3 is utter crap. i refuse to use it because it's much worse than SwiftKey x, and lags on every phone I own (nexus, s3, rezound, dna)... i still use SwiftKey x on them all.. just wish x had that space bar correction thing. flow isn't bad, but i use the swipe left to delete too often that i can't live without it anymore, yet another reason why when they updates 3 to have flow it will be awful.

Ah woah, wow! I haven't had THAT much lag with it, just sometimes, and I didn't really notice it after 3 vs. X, seemed the same and I figured it was my slow phone! Interesting though, is there a way to get X and not 3?