The Truth about Gorilla Glass and screen protectors

rfmike

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
So with people having scratches and crack and problems with the Gorilla glass screens, i thought i would share some info about tempered glass screen that i have found useful.

1st here are some sad/other stories from the forms...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-dna/230013-broken-screen.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-dna/232362-any-thoughts-screen-protector.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-dna/226432-screen-protector-dna.html

With all that out of the way..

HERE IS THE Truth on Gorilla Glass...( I warn you now these 2 videos are long)..

Truth About Gorilla Glass - Drops, Tests, Composition - YouTube
This Video she Uses an Iphone to test with.
*iPhone 5 Spigen SGP GLAS.tR* Strength Test and Review - YouTube
:mad:

(NOTE) PLEASE VIEW VIA PC..

Last edited:

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Gorilla still breaks when dropped and like most glass can be easily scratched by dust and sand.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

c_hack

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely, most of my scratches have happened after going to the beach. The fine sand in the air near the ocean wreaks havoc on screens.

Spider210

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I already got 3 scratches in my screen and I've only had it for a few days such a disappointment. Just put a protector on it today. Weird thing is I don't put anything else in my pocket besides the phone.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I already got 3 scratches in my screen and I've only had it for a few days such a disappointment. Just put a protector on it today. Weird thing is I don't put anything else in my pocket besides the phone.

Pockets hold debri in air that can scratch your phone. Unless you live air tight bubble there no escaping daxt your phone will be scratched unless you put screen protector on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I always put a screen protector on my phones... well, until now.

what I wonder is, does the phone look worse with a screen protector on it, especially a few months after it's been on it, then it would with a few micro scratches on the screen?

Has anyone used a phone for, say, two years, without a screen protector, and care to tell us how good/bad their screen looked? I know that the first scratch KILLS you! Your brand new, spotless device, now it's blemished!

But after the newness wears off... I just wonder if I'm not better off with the look, and FEEL of the naked glass, even if it does get a few minor scratches on it.

If I look at a friends cell phone, and he's had it for a few months, and it has a minor scratch... I think to myself, self... no big deal! If it's MY phone, and only a few weeks old, it's a BIG F'n DEAL!

Just wondering...

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I went with my last phone no protectors for 1.5 years, and a decent amount of drops. Screen got scatched generally over time, the MOST noticable one actually came from my pocket though, no idea how, nothing was in there, but that was an inch scratch that you could notice while the screen was on, weird colors and such.

I'm curious if getting a leather pouch for this phone would be the best thing, I don't like screen protectors because there are ALWAYS bubbles and find they don't look as nice and I just get annoyed with them, so something like a nice pouch to protect from pocket, or a "flap" kinda like the S3 has (of course it'd have to be a case with a flap) curious what people, because after a month of deciding and browsing these forums I JUST GOT MY DNA! And the screen is just too beautiful to want to imagine something happening to it haha.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

a tiny grain of sand will scratch your screen, and you normally will not notice when there are few grains of sand in your pocket

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I went with my last phone no protectors for 1.5 years, and a decent amount of drops. Screen got scatched generally over time, the MOST noticable one actually came from my pocket though, no idea how, nothing was in there, but that was an inch scratch that you could notice while the screen was on, weird colors and such.

I'm curious if getting a leather pouch for this phone would be the best thing, I don't like screen protectors because there are ALWAYS bubbles and find they don't look as nice and I just get annoyed with them, so something like a nice pouch to protect from pocket, or a "flap" kinda like the S3 has (of course it'd have to be a case with a flap) curious what people, because after a month of deciding and browsing these forums I JUST GOT MY DNA! And the screen is just too beautiful to want to imagine something happening to it haha.

Leather pouch will not protecs the screen from scratches either. I strongly recommend a screen protector and unfortunately the best screen protector IMO by spigen is not available for the DNA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Any plans for Spigen to make the SGP protector for the DNA? Any screen protectors you'd recommend? How is the clarity on the ArmorSuit MilitaryShield?

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,just wanted to put my 2? in there,
With all my android phones I've used a zagg shield. My original htc one x I used a zagg hd,on my sgs3 I did as well,and am currently usuing a zagg hd on my HTC one x+. My point is,I've had about 7 phones with gorilla glass,but I've always used a screen protector. My displays have always been taken care of. An otterbox defender wouldn't be a bad idea either. ;)

From my ONE X+ :-D

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Gorilla still breaks when dropped and like most glass can be easily scratched by dust and sand.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Very true. Gorilla glass is a great product (IMO), but it's isn't indestructable -- believing that would be na?ve.

Absolutely, most of my scratches have happened after going to the beach. The fine sand in the air near the ocean wreaks havoc on screens.

I'm glad I don't live in an area with a lot of sand! When I do go to the beach, I usually put my phone in a ziplock bag (or leave it at home if practical)...but that may be an option if folks who live in areas year-round that are exposed to it.

Do you live near a beach or other sandy area? I guess I'm lucky, because I've owned 4 phones now with GG, and with the exception of a VERY small scratch on Thunderbolt screen a while back, I've never had a problem...and I carry my phone in my pocket all the time.

Pockets hold debri in air that can scratch your phone. Unless you live air tight bubble there no escaping daxt your phone will be scratched unless you put screen protector on.

I don't know...I've never really had a problem. I always make sure my pockets are "clean" before putting my phone in there, and always place it screen in towards me (to avoid damage if should bump into things).

I always put a screen protector on my phones... well, until now.

what I wonder is, does the phone look worse with a screen protector on it, especially a few months after it's been on it, then it would with a few micro scratches on the screen? YES.

Has anyone used a phone for, say, two years, without a screen protector, and care to tell us how good/bad their screen looked? I know that the first scratch KILLS you! Your brand new, spotless device, now it's blemished! Had my Thunderbolt for about 18 months, never put a screen protector on it. It did have one VERY tiny scratch on it that could only been seen in just the right light. (And yes, it did kill me when I first noticed it, but I got over it pretty quickly).

But after the newness wears off... I just wonder if I'm not better off with the look, and FEEL of the naked glass, even if it does get a few minor scratches on it. For me, yes.

If I look at a friends cell phone, and he's had it for a few months, and it has a minor scratch... I think to myself, self... no big deal! If it's MY phone, and only a few weeks old, it's a BIG F'n DEAL! True I guess, but what I can't stand more is to see a friends phone with a screen protector that's peeling in one corner and used to the point where the screen looks dull and dirty all the time...I just want to rip it off!

Just wondering...

My opinions/comments in red above. For me, the screen protector just takes away from both the sensitivity and the overall appearance of the phone. Yes, I suppose I'm lucky I don't live near a beach or encounter elements that scratch my screen very often, but I've gone "naked" for years and have never had an issue. I don't treat my phone with white kid gloves, but then again, I do try to at least be consciously aware of things that could damage it. Some screen protectors may be better than others, but I also find they negatively affect the responsiveness of the touch screen as well.

On top of that, I can never get them applied right with no dust or particles underneath, and I think that they just look bad.

Again...these are just my opinions.

BlastTyrant

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I use a Zagg Invisible Shield. I've had it on for almost a year. It still looks new. I had my phone sitting on a table at a bonfire recently and a large burning ember landed squarely on my screen and sat there burning for several seconds before I got it off. A little bit of mild screen cleaning solution and a few wipes and there was absolutely no evidence that anything had happened. I don't care if I have gorilla glass or not.... Resale value will be much higher for a phone with no marks or scratches on the screen

Sent from my Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I've used Zagg, Seidio's shield and the VZW Shields. The Seidio and VZW shields are very thin and if applied properly are practically invisible. The VZW shields are more of a grese magnet then teh Seidio shield and the Zagg is much thicker and more noticeable.

With that said - Seidio has not come out with their shield yet, it's under development according to their website. So I have the VZW shield. So far so good.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't use screen protectors and never will...its a phone and I do baby it somewhat but I hate the look of any protector on my screen .. so I after a year have a small unnoticeable scratch...it doesn't bother me...screen protectors are made to make money...

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Rodawg71

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Been using screen protectors since my so-called first smartphone (EVO 4G) Been using Zagg on my T-Bolt, Razr and now S3. Just ordered Seidios Vitreo.

sent from a Galaxy SIII near you

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2