To root or not to root

wxrusss8

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
My first thoughts when I decided to buy this phone was that I was going to root it and install an aosp ROM asap. I had a Thunderbolt before this and it was rooted. I was a flashaholic. I hated Sense before version 4. Now that I've had the DNA for a week now, I kinda want to keep it stock. Don't get me wrong, I love stock Android Jelly Bean. But there's something about this phone that really clicks with me. Sense isn't so bad. Plus, I have a Nexus 7, so that gives me my stock Android fix.

Anyone else feel this way? Or are you gonna go crazy once s-off is achieved?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been thinking about rooting for the same exact reasons. The only thing that would drive me to root & flash is CyanogenMod 10.1 otherwise the phone works great enough & has enough features to keep it stock. I also had the Thunderbolt & BAMF had that thing running like a dream!!

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The only two things that would compel me to root are 1) removing all that ridiculous bloatware, and 2) enabling mobile hotspot. I have an N7 as well, and it makes me want JB all the more lol. but I have Nova Launcher, Widget Locker, etc, so I preserve all the features I love without having to root.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I agree that the stock exepience on this phone is great and doesn't need a lot of change. I rooted just cause I always root and currently running a rom called UKB found here. (Rom)(12.21.12) UKB DNA 1.2.1 l apm l aroma l sense l desense - xda-developers
I'm running the stock Sense launcher so it's the same stock experience with the extra's like - debloated, advanced power menu, 5x6 portrait and 8x4 landscape app drawer rosie, and remove bootsound (just to name a few, check the out thread for all the added features). I have to say nitsuj has done a great job on this rom and sometimes even takes request for updayes. Hopefully some day CM10 and AOKP will be available and then I'll be in heaven :D

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Agreed - I rooted last night after getting my DNA and loaded the rooted de-bloated stock rom. It's a very sweet thing indeed.

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
BTW guys how is your battery life after root. This thing has software issues, maps going crazy and some apps don't play nice with what HTC did and I'm curious if the rooted ROM fixed some issues. And yeah this thing would be a beast on CM10!!!

Losingit

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Like others have done, only reasons I rooted were to disable the bloat and turn on hotspot. Other than those two items I like the phone and the UI. I have a N7 as well for the "true" Google experience :).

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Haven't seen any changes in battery life after rooting but I haven't played around with the kernel yet which may improve battery life if you choose to set it up that way.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted last night. I love the rom I'm running. I was looking at xda to see what they had. Cm10 is a work in progress. I'm just waiting on more kernels. Or a slim rom. I'm just glad I got that awful WiFi and nfc out my status bar

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I did away with the status bar all together. Nova is sweet on this phone. I hate Sense UI and this launcher makes me feel like I have stock 4.1.1

I only ever root to get wifi tether to work, no need now that I'm on a shared 10GB Data plan.....

P.S. You can hide the bloatware with Nova as well....

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted last night. I love the rom I'm running. I was looking at xda to see what they had. Cm10 is a work in progress. I'm just waiting on more kernels. Or a slim rom. I'm just glad I got that awful WiFi and nfc out my status bar

Did you root it with Jelly Bean on it? If so, can you shoot me a link so I can take a looksy!

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I'd post a link but I know people don't like their work posted without them knowing. There is 3steps to unlock the device.

1st jcase method.
2nd htcdev
3rd super user and recovery.

Go to YouTube and look at droidmodderx page. I always follow his steps. It took about 25minutes. You must follow the directions to the T. I I bricked my first one.

But go to root wiki or xda they have all the links there. Again I'm not trying to be a dbag and not post the link. I just don't want someone mad l er it

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I'd post a link but I know people don't like their work posted without them knowing. There is 3steps to unlock the device.

1st jcase method.
2nd htcdev
3rd super user and recovery.

Go to YouTube and look at droidmodderx page. I always follow his steps. It took about 25minutes. You must follow the directions to the T. I I bricked my first one.

But go to root wiki or xda they have all the links there. Again I'm not trying to be a dbag and not post the link. I just don't want someone mad l er it

Thanks man! Not taking you as being d*ckish in any way whatsoever. I'll hop over to XDA and take a look. I was wondering really if they came out for a method for JB DNA's. I was reading that you had to go back to ICS, root, protect root, update to JB, and then you were set. That sounded like a chore and I'm not about to go through all that.....

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Currently there are not alot of advantages of being rooted since ROM dev is not growing quickly and CM10 will be some time from the looks of things.
To debloat is great, regroup alot of space wasted on vZ stuff, TitaniumBackup to be able to make changes and RECOVER in case you screw up.
There've been a few mods to eliminate some annoyance things wifi notification/ NFC icon etc.. but nothing earth shattering, There of course is overclocking, I've read that some have done it, I've been rooted since week1 but haven't pursued this since the speed on the DNA is fine.
Tethering or Hotspot works without root (Foxfi)

NOTE: HULU and TIME WARNER CABLE streaming will NOT work if ROOTED! . I'm not sure of Netflix

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks man! Not taking you as being d*ckish in any way whatsoever. I'll hop over to XDA and take a look. I was wondering really if they came out for a method for JB DNA's. I was reading that you had to go back to ICS, root, protect root, update to JB, and then you were set. That sounded like a chore and I'm not about to go through all that.....

Oh damn. No just the 3methods. But yeah not much to offer right now. I like the 320dpi rom. It has a camera mod. Seems like it takes better pictures (may be a placebo) lol. But once s off is done and get some kernels going. It will be great

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech