Foreign SIM Droid DNA - No data connection (Nederland / Netherlands)

Victor Droogh

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
FYI, I will type some Dutch words between brackets so others in the Netherlands might find help as well with this post.

I bought the Droid DNA in America without an Verizon plan. According to several websites the DNA should be a global phone and SIM unlocked. Yet when I pop in my Dutch SIM (Vodafone) and change my APN settings I cannot get a data connection. It tries to connect but after a few attempts it says "connection lost" (verbinding verbroken) I can call with it thoug

According to the Vodafone store here in the Netherlands the APN settings were correct. They thought it did not work because of the Android version that is American and is somewhat different due to LTE that is not yet available in Europe. They suggested that I should root the phone and install a European version of android.
Before I will try this I wanted to know if someone has any other suggestions that I can try to make it work.

So does anybody have an idea what I could try to make the data connection work?
Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Victor

Last edited:

thefireguy286

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
FYI, I will type some Dutch words between brackets so others in the Netherlands might find help as well with this post.

I bought the Droid DNA in America without an Verizon plan. According to several websites the DNA should be a global phone and SIM unlocked. Yet when I pop in my Dutch SIM (Vodafone) and change my APN settings I cannot get a data connection. It tries to connect but after a few attempts it says "connection lost" (verbinding verbroken) I can call with it thoug

I can certainly confirm the DNA is completely SIM unlocked and Android Version or LTE doesn't really matter; it just doesn't connect to what it can't see. I can tell you I have a co worker in Europe for the holidays with a Voda SIM in his DNA and doesn't have any issues. The fact that you have a data only issue tells me 1 of 2 things - and these may seem obvious, but worth a check . In Settings under Mobile Data, make sure you have data roaming set to allow access for all trips, and preferred network to Global. If those check out, then something in your APN seems to not be right.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Hate to sound stupid but what's an "APN" and how does one get to it and what should it be set to. I had thought that all you had to do was buy a prepaid sim card from a european carrier and pop it in. Could you explain a little more clearly what this additional step is of resetting the "APN?" Do you do this before or after you pop in the new sim card, etc?

Victor Droogh

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I had already checked the roaming and according to the Vodafone store the APN settings were correct. Would it be possible that you post your co-workers APN settings? I tried playing with the APN settings, but nothing worked.
Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

I can certainly confirm the DNA is completely SIM unlocked and Android Version or LTE doesn't really matter; it just doesn't connect to what it can't see. I can tell you I have a co worker in Europe for the holidays with a Voda SIM in his DNA and doesn't have any issues. The fact that you have a data only issue tells me 1 of 2 things - and these may seem obvious, but worth a check . In Settings under Mobile Data, make sure you have data roaming set to allow access for all trips, and preferred network to Global. If those check out, then something in your APN seems to not be right.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I had already checked the roaming and according to the Vodafone store the APN settings were correct.
Would it be possible that you post your co-workers APN settings? I tried playing with the APN settings, but nothing worked.
Maybe I can learn something from his.
Thanks in advance.

Victor Droogh

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Hate to sound stupid but what's an "APN" and how does one get to it and what should it be set to. I had thought that all you had to do was buy a prepaid sim card from a european carrier and pop it in. Could you explain a little more clearly what this additional step is of resetting the "APN?" Do you do this before or after you pop in the new sim card, etc?

APN stands for "access point name" , these are settings that are different for each provider.
The settings should be entered after inserting a SIMcard in your phone, since the settigns are carrier depenent
The actual settings for a provider can be found on the Internet.

Tudor Ionescu1

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I cannot connect my android II phone to the data of the preferred network! What can I do?

I cannot connect my android II phone to the data of the preferred network! What can I do?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon