I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Why go into great detail how every shot was taken the same way with both phones, same times etc.... and not show any of the pictures. It's one thing to hear what you think about them but would be tons better to see them for ourselves, would should be a easy thing to do.

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Why go into great detail how every shot was taken the same way with both phones, same times etc.... and not show any of the pictures. It's one thing to hear what you think about them but would be tons better to see them for ourselves, would should be a easy thing to do.
Yes... But with user manipulation and / or error wouldn't prove much in the forums at least! :)

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Seriously at this point in the camera game who cares. We are getting awesome cameras on our phones so Why do we need to see these small details? You're not going to notice the imperfections unless you absolutely look for them.

Besides HTC said the camera issues with the DNA are software related. Once updated the DNA will blow your note 2 away

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Blow note 2 away? I doubt it. May help with low light. May even inch it a bit better than note 2 in some cases. Blow it away though? Don't think so. They are too similar to begin with.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Well the Note 2 is a good $100+ more, so although you *can* compare the two devices, they're not exactly on a level playing field. If the Note II were the same price as the DNA, I would have probably gotten the former. It was a choice between $279 and $150, and this one is great for the price.

I gotta say though, the camera specs on this device are part of what lured me in (f/2.0? the lowest f/stop SLR lens I have is f/1.8) but even the Galaxy S3 cam seems to outshine this one, especially when it comes to videos. Not that this has a bad camera, but it doesn't have what I'd call 2013-ready specs. Under certain lighting situations, I'd say even my sister's iPhone 4S outperforms this one. I wish there was a manual focus mode--my DNA's focus is always a tad bit off, particularly with macro shots (when I press to focus, it shifts to the the correct focal length but ultimately over/underextends).

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Sorry that was android forums

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

I know. I just love seeing all of this ones problems - 2 times over :) .

For the OP: I like the DNA camera. I wouldn't call it great, but I wouldn't call any camera phone great. I guess folks have different needs. If this one isn't good enough for you, and if photos are that critical in your use on a phone, AND if you don't carry around a point and shoot, then maybe you should go with the GN2 or another brand. For me, the camera is a very small part of what I need in a phone. Even if I thought the quality was as bad as you do ( I do not), it wouldn't be that big a deal for me. But I understand that folks have different needs so maybe this is very important to you.

Lastly, it's bad form to cross-post so much IMO. Especially at the same time. If one forum can't get you what you need, then posting to another works well. Constantly posting everything to multiple forums leads experienced users to tune out, just FYI ...

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Blow note 2 away? I doubt it. May help with low light. May even inch it a bit better than note 2 in some cases. Blow it away though? Don't think so. They are too similar to begin with.

I didn't mean blow it away, but it would actually put up a fight with other cameras such as the note 2s

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Guys, check our thread on xda about an explanation why you think it sucks.

let's put it this way.. HTC enabled auto enhance as default, and that ruins shots. In the rezound that was the first thing you turned off to get amazing shots. so HTC ruined that.

second, don't ever use auto iso. it jacks the iso to 1600 and it's blurry, spotty and noisy all over.. that mixed with auto enhance blurs images out and softens them. they look bad.

third, play with the white balance options... stop relying on auto everything, people.

And, learn how to take a picture. STEADY HANDS. SELF TIMER. THESE ARE YOUR FRIENDS. with an instantaneous shutter on the DNA, the slightest movement creates blur.

Fourth, COMPRESSION. HTC camera app compresses the hell out of shots.

Fifth, it's the software. It's all the software. All of these are software issues. Try an aftermarket camera app like camera zoom fx or camera 360 pro. You can get cleaner shots out of them.

Go check the xda thread,I posted a huge imgur album of all the shots I've taken, and comparison shots between camera apps.

I've reported all of these issues with the camera to HTC , so who knows what will happen. I'm waiting to root so we can flash a camera mod that gives options to turn compression off and auto enhance off etc. There already is one, but I'm too lazy to root lol...and since joelz got a DNA, I was talking to him about making a camera hq mod like joebrady did for the rezound last year...so that might happen too.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2030985
[PHOTOS] Post pictures taken with your DNA

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2008942
Camera sucks?
Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
My girlfriend just got the DNA. I don't think it takes bad pictures by any means, in fact they are pretty darn close to my note 2. She really complains about the features though that the the note 2 has and the dna doesn't. Both good cameras in my opinion but like the OP said, if the camera is huge for you I would consider the S3 or the note 2.

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Great post jayochs! People think you're automatically gonna take amazing pictures with no effort, if you want that, get an iPhone! The potential for this camera is great...still shots in a well lit area are great, blow away my Dinc2!

The only thing I wish was improved was the macro mode, it says "macro" mode and I'll get really close to something, it'll focus perfectly on it for a second, but then assume that it should focus further away and not even take advantage OF the macro mode...so I have to watch it focus on the potential picture I wanna take, but then be like "NOPE" lol. Yeah though, I'd love for an update to improve it!

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Well the Note 2 is a good $100+ more, so although you *can* compare the two devices, they're not exactly on a level playing field. If the Note II were the same price as the DNA, I would have probably gotten the former. It was a choice between $279 and $150, and this one is great for the price.

I gotta say though, the camera specs on this device are part of what lured me in (f/2.0? the lowest f/stop SLR lens I have is f/1.8) but even the Galaxy S3 cam seems to outshine this one, especially when it comes to videos. Not that this has a bad camera, but it doesn't have what I'd call 2013-ready specs. Under certain lighting situations, I'd say even my sister's iPhone 4S outperforms this one. I wish there was a manual focus mode--my DNA's focus is always a tad bit off, particularly with macro shots (when I press to focus, it shifts to the the correct focal length but ultimately over/underextends).

The Galaxy S2 devices take better video than HTCs newest phones. Samsung uses superior audio and video codes/containers for the video.

At the person above saying use an aftermarket camera app... That defeats the point as the better camera software is the main reason to get an HTC device over a Samsung for those that care. You mind ad well get a GS3 or note 2 and take better pictures with all the built in options if you're gonna do that...

HTC does have a one up in that it can do slow motion 720p but if you do a lot of 1080p recording on a smartphone any flagship 2011/2012 Galaxy S2/3 decided would best an HTC flagship, or at least be comparable with it.

HTC cameras have generally been bad at low light and produced noisy images there. They have always had white balance issues. And their flash has always been less intelligent than those on Samsung phones.

HTC camera phones were great because of their better camera software and options, not the optics or output. With the GS3/Note 2 Samsung has basically equalled them on the software side so I wouldn't touch an HTC camera phone at this point with what Samsung is putting out these days.

Image Chip was overhyped just like Beats Audio, and that low f stop has drawbacks, as well. They had similar optics on the Vivid and Rezound.

The One Series wasn't about the optics, per se. It was all about the ImageChip component and updated camera software. Otherwise you could get output that wasn't much worse from a Vivid/Rezound or GS2/Skyrocket/Note.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I didn't mean to say it like that. It'll greatly improve the DNA to where it's supposed to be. The Note 2 takes some awesome shots so it'll be hard to "blow it away". That was merely a figure of speech haha

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
What he said...100%
The Galaxy S2 devices take better video than HTCs newest phones. Samsung uses superior audio and video codes/containers for the video.

At the person above saying use an aftermarket camera app... That defeats the point as the better camera software is the main reason to get an HTC device over a Samsung for those that care. You mind ad well get a GS3 or note 2 and take better pictures with all the built in options if you're gonna do that...

HTC does have a one up in that it can do slow motion 720p but if you do a lot of 1080p recording on a smartphone any flagship 2011/2012 Galaxy S2/3 decided would best an HTC flagship, or at least be comparable with it.

HTC cameras have generally been bad at low light and produced noisy images there. They have always had white balance issues. And their flash has always been less intelligent than those on Samsung phones.

HTC camera phones were great because of their better camera software and options, not the optics or output. With the GS3/Note 2 Samsung has basically equalled them on the software side so I wouldn't touch an HTC camera phone at this point with what Samsung is putting out these days.

Image Chip was overhyped just like Beats Audio, and that low f stop has drawbacks, as well. They had similar optics on the Vivid and Rezound.

The One Series wasn't about the optics, per se. It was all about the ImageChip component and updated camera software. Otherwise you could get output that wasn't much worse from a Vivid/Rezound or GS2/Skyrocket/Note.

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Sigh. Can't please some people. If you want to put no effort into taking pictures and aren't creative enough to play with settings, get an iPhone.

I take it the majority of you don't own any other cameras or anything or are used to "point and shoot?"

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah even on my One X I really don't see the problem. Then again I spent far less than a DNA.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357378534194.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357378534194.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 35

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I like the ability to set the ISO to 100. Even my iPhone5 in any case is nothing like a real DSLR.

This photo also from HTC One X.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357378805978.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357378805978.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 35

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357379282816.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357379282816.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 36

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Sigh. Can't please some people. If you want to put no effort into taking pictures and aren't creative enough to play with settings, get an iPhone.

I take it the majority of you don't own any other cameras or anything or are used to "point and shoot?"

Newsflash. People now buy smartphones for the good cameras in them. Better than carrying more equipment. Also most of the issues with HTC camera phones are in low light and with video recording (and the audio in the video).

Posting daytime en pictures doesn't tell anything we don't all know already.

IPhone level photos can be achieved on a better Samsung camera phone by simply auto fixing most of them in snapseed. That's not hard to achieve. The app is free. Use it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay