Interested in DNA - but will the battery last from my habits?

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I am an owner of Droid Charge and am fed up of the phone and want to upgrade to Maxx HD or DNA but the only thing that doesnt make DNA a surething for me is the battery life. Can some owners who has similar usages of their DNAs to mine advise me? I have a couple of examples of my uses:
1. I use wifi whenever i can, on a "typical day" with wifi on my droid charge can last "all day" (mind you i am near computers a lot so even though it is on wifi i am not really using the phone)
2. When i am out (usually weekends) and have no wifi access my Droid charge maybe last 3 hours or so with web surfing as the main culprit.
3. I was at a party over new years and i used up 2 full batteries on droid charge within 5 hours doing web surfing.

I do have an unbloated charge...
So back to my original concern, will the DNA last the whole day if there's some heavy websurfing going on or it is better of with a maxx?

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Web browsing will last much longer than that in my experience. What kills mine that quickly is full screen streaming of hd YouTube on 4g lol. I think you will love this phone and surprised at the battery as I have. I am a very heavy user for sure and usually get through the day especially on WiFi

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Web browsing will last much longer than that in my experience. What kills mine that quickly is full screen streaming of hd YouTube on 4g lol. I think you will love this phone and surprised at the battery as I have. I am a very heavy user for sure and usually get through the day especially on WiFi

what if you are not on wifi and is using it heavily? I was out shopping today for 3 hours and battery down to 20% from browsing for items/deals etc...

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what sites you are visiting, but as a reference, on New Year's day I drove around fro almost 2 hours playing Ingress on battery and my phone used about 60% of the battery. That was using 4G, GPS and the screen on the whole time.

But if killer battery is your primary driver you won't find bigger than the MAXX.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
With just doing stuff like browsing and stuff I get at least 6-10 hours. I can use Bluetooth, YouTube, Pandora, maps, and internet and texting for 2 hours and be down to maybe 60-70% so you will more than like the battery.

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what sites you are visiting, but as a reference, on New Year's day I drove around fro almost 2 hours playing Ingress on battery and my phone used about 60% of the battery. That was using 4G, GPS and the screen on the whole time.

But if killer battery is your primary driver you won't find bigger than the MAXX.
isnt that horrible for battery? 2 hrs drains 60%

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
With just doing stuff like browsing and stuff I get at least 6-10 hours. I can use Bluetooth, YouTube, Pandora, maps, and internet and texting for 2 hours and be down to maybe 60-70% so you will more than like the battery.

Are you kidding me?? 6-10 hours' screen time?? There must be something terribly wrong with my battery then. With all signals but wifi off, I get maybe 4 consecutive hours just web browsing/texting. Battery depletes rapidly throughout the day--today I was out for 5 hours, and half an hours' screen time from 95% battery got me down to 65%.
This is a screenshot of me web browsing on wifi yesterday (about 3.5 hrs awake over ~6 hours); is that normal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-01-20-19-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-01-20-19-21.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 69

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure it's abnormal. You can see big dips when my screen time increases. Not only is the screen on, but the system will often be doing something.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357189762285.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357189762285.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 61

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm just used to my tablet's battery life, I need to adjust my consumption habits to this phone. I'll just leave a charger at work. So you'd probably get ~3-4 hours' consecutive screen time on wifi web browsing (other signals disabled) as well? I've disabled most unnecessary processes/apps, but the "Android System" is by far the heaviest battery consumer aside from the screen.

I'm not sure it's abnormal. You can see big dips when my screen time increases. Not only is the screen on, but the system will often be doing something.2

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the reason for 14 day (or 30 day at Best Buy) return windows precisely to answer such personal questions about a phone that no one but the user herself can answer?

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Why you would spend 5 hours on your phone surfing the net at a party is beyond me, but I'm gonna go ahead and say go with the maxx. For people that feel the need to be on their phone for 6-8 hours out of the day, this phone probably isn't for you and you're the exact audience that the maxx is targeting.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Simply put, nothing will come close to the Maxx' battery life. If that's your primary criteria then you decision is easy. There are many other reasons to consider the DNA and, coming from a Gnex, I was shocked at just how good the DNA's battery life was, but that said, it will not touch the Maxx' battery life.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
But my point is precisely that the screen time doesn't even remotely approach 5 hours. I have an hour-long commute to and from work, so that's a good two hours of usage which would drain a good 50% (~35-40% if I just read an ebook without 4G/wifi on). Take into account the battery decay on standby (~3% an hour for me), text messages, and it's as good as dead by like, 8PM. I don't think it's outrageous for me to expect a little better. Sure I can charge it at work--which I do currently--but whenever I'm without a charger I'm paranoid about the battery. The other day I was in the city for 8 hours; total screen time was about 2 hours, probably a good third from texting; battery was down to 9% from a full charge (wifi/mobile network/GPS was off for most of the screen time). Below is just another sample.

Why you would spend 5 hours on your phone surfing the net at a party is beyond me, but I'm gonna go ahead and say go with the maxx. For people that feel the need to be on their phone for 6-8 hours out of the day, this phone probably isn't for you and you're the exact audience that the maxx is targeting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-28-12-31-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-12-28-12-31-41.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 51

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
But my point is precisely that the screen time doesn't even remotely approach 5 hours. I have an hour-long commute to and from work, so that's a good two hours of usage which would drain a good 50% (~35-40% if I just read an ebook without 4G/wifi on). Take into account the battery decay on standby (~3% an hour for me), text messages, and it's as good as dead by like, 8PM. I don't think it's outrageous for me to expect a little better. Sure I can charge it at work--which I do currently--but whenever I'm without a charger I'm paranoid about the battery. The other day I was in the city for 8 hours; total screen time was about 2 hours, probably a good third from texting; battery was down to 9% from a full charge (wifi/mobile network/GPS was off for most of the screen time). Below is just another sample.

Your situation sounds different entirely. There have been others that have reported results like yours and it turns out they just had bunk batteries, which I think k you may have. HOWEVER, getting Verizon to swap your phone out will be a challenge, even though they should do it

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Your situation sounds different entirely. There have been others that have reported results like yours and it turns out they just had bunk batteries, which I think k you may have. HOWEVER, getting Verizon to swap your phone out will be a challenge, even though they should do it

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for--I didn't know if my battery was busted, or if all DNA's were like this. Battery issues are always a pain, because CS will probably ride it off as "YMMV".

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for--I didn't know if my battery was busted, or if all DNA's were like this. Battery issues are always a pain, because CS will probably ride it off as "YMMV".

Yeah dude show those screenshots to Verizon that is God awful battery life especially on Wi-Fi.

Last night I was streaming music, playing Dice with Buddies, Song Pop, using Tapatalk and it took an hour and a half to drain 20% and the screen was on the entire time.

Good luck on getting it replaced!!

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
isnt that horrible for battery? 2 hrs drains 60%

Not really, considering the screen was on for 2 hrs straight, GPS radio was on, 4G was pulling maps and Ingress data and the Ingress app itself, which is not battery friendly at all, was running the whole time. My Dinc with a 3800 battery would go 2 hrs and completely kill the battery under the same circumstances.

jrz5024

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Battery on the DNA certainly won't match the MAXX, but then, nothing else on the market will. However, there are many other reasons to consider the DNA, and I'd consider the battery the only real selling point of the MAXX over the DNA. On Wi-Fi, my DNA can get 24+ hours easy with moderate use, and that's more than enough for me.

shaselai

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
ok, so i have had the maxx hd for about a week now and it is currently dying on me with 2day 18hrs of usage, the first time it died was similar time frame as well. I dont have any problems with the phone right now but i do see that my RAM has 182 free and 642 used.... is that a cause for concern? i know it is comparing apples to oranges but with the battery usage i had put for maxx hd will dna be half of that or even less? thanks!

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
ok, so i have had the maxx hd for about a week now and it is currently dying on me with 2day 18hrs of usage, the first time it died was similar time frame as well. I dont have any problems with the phone right now but i do see that my RAM has 182 free and 642 used.... is that a cause for concern? i know it is comparing apples to oranges but with the battery usage i had put for maxx hd will dna be half of that or even less? thanks!

There the currently quoted saying about unused memory being wasted memory, so that probably isn't a problem. As for battery life? Without out any idea of your usage, Web have nothing to compare it to.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton