Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Imagine that....morons who work at Verizon. Sounds familiar

Perfect. You can walk into any Verizon store and purchase any phone and walk out with them not even opening it. Doesn't matter what plan or even if you have service with them. If it is anything other than that easy, complain to corporate for not training said associate in customer service.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jreed2560

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Perfect. You can walk into any Verizon store and purchase any phone and walk out with them not even opening it. Doesn't matter what plan or even if you have service with them. If it is anything other than that easy, complain to corporate for not training said associate in customer service.

True story.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
This is the reason why I buy the majority of my phones online. Granted, in store is quicker and sometimes easier but I do not trust the people working at Verizon. I have had multiple occasions where they argued with me about my plan (keeping unlimited data obviously) and when I drop the contract law card on them they clam up and do what I asked. I have also had multiple occasions where at the store, they are so clumsy with new phones it pains me to see them touch it. One guy even dropped a brand new GS3 on the desk before activating it and I demaded a different one. Even though there was probably no serious damage I just paid for a new phone, not a newly dropped phone...

Anyway... back on point. My guess is they get their commissions mainly on contract renewals and new contracts. They do get some for pushing phones, but the majority of their money would probably comes from locking in new 2 year contracts... that is how Verizon makes most of their money and therefore that is where salespeople will make most of theirs. Coming from a business perspective that would make the most sense. Verizon would make more money based on their plans and 2 year contracts. Selling phones for subsidized pricing is just a way to entice you to upgrade and get locked in for another 2 years so they can make their money. Basically they are using a modified version of "spend money to make money".

nanachkh

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I think your issue with the employee had more to do with keeping the unlimited data and not resigning a contract than the phone itself.

When I got my DNA on release day the guy gave me a hard time. I was upgrading my mom's phone from a feature phone to the DNA then I was going to take the DNA and she could keep the feature phone. Just to keep unlimited data.

The Verizon employee told me I would lose unlimited data doing that and I reassured him I wasn't upgrading my line, just hers. He kept saying they're not allowed to do that but he would do me a favor by allowing it. He made me feel real uncomfortable like I was cheating the system.

Looking back, I should have just upgraded my mom's phone then did the phone swap on my own online. It's none of his damn business what I do with the phone once I purchase it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
That sounds a little sexist to me. For her to give your wife all that trouble and not give you any at all. Maybe she wasn't taking your wife seriously that she had the money or something.

We had a similar problem at our local sprint store when we tried to upgrade a line on our contract to just the viper. We stopped going to that store partly because of that and partly because I kinda got us banned from going there;)

Anyways we go to a new store now in a much nicer neighborhood where the employees are actually nice and know what they are doing. I would suggest you do the same.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Avoid the store altogether, just order online. Instead of being persuaded and tricked by salespeople, you can pick out exactly what you want, and verify any changes to your contract prior to proceeding with the sale. My stepfather ended up with a TON of stuff added on to his contract he didn't need when he bought his last phone...then had to call and get a bunch of stuff removed when his bill arrived. If you're buying full price to retain your existing contract, I think this is the best way to go.

Also, as advice to anyone, sync your contacts via Google, don't waste time with Backup Assistant. Not that it doesn't work, buy you'll make things much easier on yourself later if you ever decide to switch carriers.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Everyone should be able to pitch a sell. You say yes or no and that is the end. If it goes further, ask for a manager. You should not have to avoid stores. Do not let them be bullies. We are the customer and pay their bills.
I had unlimited data buying a device outright. Everytime Verizon had done what I asked. Don't bend over, demand customer service. ..... You pay for it.

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I activated mine on another line and had it transferred to my number to keep my unlimited data. The Verizon rep went so far as to say that it would void my warranty. I asked to see that in writing. He got his manager and the manager said "I cannot locate the document that say that, but you will NOT get warranty service in THIS corporate store". I replied, "I don't care, in six months you probably won't be employed here anyway".
As a follow-up proving that the store manager was full of it saying I voided my warranty, my DNA has the back coating peeling off so I called Verizon today and they are replacing the phone under warranty with overnight shipping.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That salesperson was rude. She should have done what the customer asked for. So she caused a woman aggravation to the point her husband had to deal with her. I would had been all over that saleswoman. I won't be walked on. She must had thought she wouldn't get anywhere with her husband. I always gave the customer what they wanted to buy whether contract or outright purchase. Its customer service. She should be written up for her lack of service. That's ridiculous

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

She was doing her job, even if she was being rude. At this point Verizon cares more about keeping customers in contract and on newer plans than anything else, and there are incentives to do so. Anyone that believes this employee wasn't doing exactly as Verizon wanted doesn't know what they're talking about.

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
She was doing her job, even if she was being rude. At this point Verizon cares more about keeping customers in contract and on newer plans than anything else, and there are incentives to do so. Anyone that believes this employee wasn't doing exactly as Verizon wanted doesn't know what they're talking about.

I'm sure people know that but she was wrong in how she treated the man's wife. It was disrespectful. Whether how she conducted herself is in her job description or not, it was just plain wrong.

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
As a follow-up proving that the store manager was full of it saying I voided my warranty, my DNA has the back coating peeling off so I called Verizon today and they are replacing the phone under warranty with overnight shipping.

If a phone goes to another number on the same account, warranty will be intact. If the phone goes to another account, there is no more warranty. Its very possible (and likely) going right to HTC would still give you warranty replacement, but Verizon won't.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I sold Verizon. I never treated a customer badly when they paid full retail. It is their money. She was rude. I do know what I am talking about.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a nice tale...

I wanted a DNA. I'm on T-Mobile. I went to a VZW corporate store to buy the phone full retail with no service. Rep looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language and passed me off to a manager. He flat out refused to sell it to me without service. Refused. Told me to try Best Buy. (It should be noted that at no point did I mention using it on another carrier.)

I did try Best Buy, turns out they don't carry it in store.

Tried a VZW official retailer, they said all their devices are sold to them attached to contracts and therefore couldn't sell it to me (which btw is nonsense).

Called VZW customer service and both their sales rep and a customer service rep were dumbfounded by my request and finally confirmed that even they could not sell me the device.

Thoroughly pissed at this point, I returned to the VZW corporate store with the intention to buy it full retail and open a new line, then immediately cancel it. Right there. While smirking, naturally.

Alas...this was not to be, not quite anyway. I posed my request to buy it full retail and open a new line. Again, it was as if I were speaking a martian tongue, so the rep went to get a manager (a new one this time).

He proceeded to ask me why I want to buy it full retail. He kept trying to milk me for an explanation and then spin it around to try to convince me to sign a contract instead. Finally accepting my made up story that I was buying it for a far away relative, he disappeared to the back for close to 25 minutes (with no status updates), supposedly to "see what he could do."

Upon returning to me, he said that he believed it was my intention to cancel service after buying the device and that he therefore could not and would not sell it to me.

Excuse me what?

Trying to keep cool, I calmly asked where in Verizon's company policy it stated such a thing. He snidely said, "I could look it up." I replied, "Yes, please do." Looking visibly aggravated, he again disappeared into the abyss that is the Verizon back room for another half an hour...again with no updates. In fact, upon asking other reps if they could check on the progress, I would see them turn around, whisper to one another, and reply that they were sure he'd be out shortly (but they couldn't be bothered to actually go check).

Unwilling to back down at this point, I waited it out. Finally he emerged. Carrying the phone. He handed me off to a sales rep and stormed off.

Needless to say, my feelings toward Verizon could not possibly be any worse: they're AT&T level.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA on T-mothaf***ing-Mobile

Madness87

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yup, they make very little on straight up phone sales. It's much better for them to get you to resign a new contract or to change your plan to one that costs more etc. As for why she tried that with your wife, it's a sexist salesman technique. Granted women are just as tech savvy as men these days but she probably looked at your wife and thought here's a chance to try and convince her to sign a new contract. When I worked at best buy, so many jerks would do this to moms who came into get a television for their kids room etc. It's practices like these that made me get never want to go back to a sales job again. It's not about helping the customer its about making as much money as possible. This lady at Verizon knew the second you walked in that your wife had probably complained and that since she went to get you, she knew she couldn't pull the wool over your eyes.

It's why I primarily do all my contracts and phone purchases directly by calling the somewhat secret customer retention line. I'm also happy that Google is directly selling its nexus devices.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I sold Verizon. I never treated a customer badly when they paid full retail. It is their money. She was rude. I do know what I am talking about.

No, you don't. The sales culture at most companies has changed over the last year. Verizon especially so with the launch of their shared plans and ending of unlimited.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a nice tale...

I wanted a DNA. I'm on T-Mobile. I went to a VZW corporate store to buy the phone full retail with no service. Rep looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language and passed me off to a manager. He flat out refused to sell it to me without service. Refused. Told me to try Best Buy. (It should be noted that at no point did I mention using it on another carrier.)

I did try Best Buy, turns out they don't carry it in store.

Tried a VZW official retailer, they said all their devices are sold to them attached to contracts and therefore couldn't sell it to me (which btw is nonsense).

Called VZW customer service and both their sales rep and a customer service rep were dumbfounded by my request and finally confirmed that even they could not sell me the device.

Thoroughly pissed at this point, I returned to the VZW corporate store with the intention to buy it full retail and open a new line, then immediately cancel it. Right there. While smirking, naturally.

Alas...this was not to be, not quite anyway. I posed my request to buy it full retail and open a new line. Again, it was as if I were speaking a martian tongue, so the rep went to get a manager (a new one this time).

He proceeded to ask me why I want to buy it full retail. He kept trying to milk me for an explanation and then spin it around to try to convince me to sign a contract instead. Finally accepting my made up story that I was buying it for a far away relative, he disappeared to the back for close to 25 minutes (with no status updates), supposedly to "see what he could do."

Upon returning to me, he said that he believed it was my intention to cancel service after buying the device and that he therefore could not and would not sell it to me.

Excuse me what?

Trying to keep cool, I calmly asked where in Verizon's company policy it stated such a thing. He snidely said, "I could look it up." I replied, "Yes, please do." Looking visibly aggravated, he again disappeared into the abyss that is the Verizon back room for another half an hour...again with no updates. In fact, upon asking other reps if they could check on the progress, I would see them turn around, whisper to one another, and reply that they were sure he'd be out shortly (but they couldn't be bothered to actually go check).

Unwilling to back down at this point, I waited it out. Finally he emerged. Carrying the phone. He handed me off to a sales rep and stormed off.

Needless to say, my feelings toward Verizon could not possibly be any worse: they're AT&T level.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA on T-mothaf***ing-Mobile

They have no obligation to sell you a device that won't be used on their network.

jreed2560

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Actually the customer has a RIGHT to buy whatever he wants from them. Verizon was in the wrong. So happy I left them

Sent from my S3 from AT&T

ACTUALLY Verizon and any other company have the right to refuse service to anyone they chose if they feel your motives are less than sincere

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I've only ever gone inside a VZW store when I had an issue with a phone currently under manufacturer's warranty--that was maybe 4 years ago lol. The less interaction the better. Though I've had to call their CS like 10 times over various issues on their part regarding my DNA/data plan/charges/etc.

I was upgrading my mom's phone from a feature phone to the DNA then I was going to take the DNA and she could keep the feature phone.

They don't do anything to prevent that if you buy directly from VZW? Sweet. My dad's adamant about using dumb phones whose only feature is to call. He doesn't even like that new-fangled texting thing. I'll use up his upgrade next time I want a new phone :D. I ordered mine from Target Mobile, and they had some fat warning against transferring devices within 180 days of purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca