We're probably done talking about battery life, but...

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I just had to share this. :) Bear with me - I'm a former Thunderbolt owner. This is JOYOUS to see for me.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA via Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357605007304.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357605007304.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: We're probably done talk about battery life, but...

As a former Tbolt user as well you can appreciate this, I used the navigation for 45 minutes unplugged and only used 5 percent of the battery.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I was in Lake Tahoe, with the family, skiing all last week.

We'd leave the hotel at around 6:30 am, return after skiing at around 4:30pm, and I never had an issue with the charge!

Now, I wasn't exactly texting or viewing YouTube while on the slopes, but I was using the phone off and on.

Also a previous Thunderbolt owner. While I loved the design of the TB, the battery life was aweful, and the DNA blows it away as far as screen, battery, and speed!

Really loving the DNA, and I've had it now for going on five or six weeks!

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I was in Lake Tahoe, with the family, skiing all last week.

We'd leave the hotel at around 6:30 am, return after skiing at around 4:30pm, and I never had an issue with the charge!

Now, I wasn't exactly texting or viewing YouTube while on the slopes, but I was using the phone off and on.

Also a previous Thunderbolt owner. While I loved the design of the TB, the battery life was aweful, and the DNA blows it away as far as screen, battery, and speed!

Really loving the DNA, and I've had it now for going on five or six weeks!

The Bolt really was a great phone. I still have great techno affection for it, if there is such a thing. The battery and HTC's OTAs were its only downfall IMO. I do miss the feel of it in my hand too.

But it's DNA time for the next 18 months, and I'm happy.

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The Bolt really was a great phone. ...The battery and HTC's OTAs were its only downfall IMO. ...

But it's DNA time for the next 18 months, and I'm happy.

Ditto. Although I've only my DNA for about 2 weeks & I'm still trying to tweak the battery settings. Not getting what y'all are reporting, but it's still better than my T'bolt (I'd carry 2 spares with me; didn't like the bump of the extended battery).

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Ditto. Although I've only my DNA for about 2 weeks & I'm still trying to tweak the battery settings. Not getting what y'all are reporting, but it's still better than my T'bolt (I'd carry 2 spares with me; didn't like the bump of the extended battery).

Keep the updates infrequent and data usage (when the phone's not in use) low and the battery life just spreads out. Sounds overly simple, but it's true - the less you use the longer you go. I barely touched the phone at work today and that's what really Sent the life upward.

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Keep the updates infrequent and data usage (when the phone's not in use) low and the battery life just spreads out. Sounds overly simple, but it's true - the less you use the longer you go. I barely touched the phone at work today and that's what really Sent the life upward.

Thanks for those tips. I'm generally near a charger, so I can continue my battery-squandering ways most days, but when I know I might not be near a charger, I'll reduce the frequency of email push and other updates to "get me through the night".

It's a nice phone. My son mentioned tonight that it would soon no longer be HTC's flagship phone, and tomorrow is my 14th day from Verizon to return the phone. But there's always going to be a new & better gadget right around the corner & I'm content to settle in with my DNA.

sp44

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
As a former Tbolt user as well you can appreciate this, I used the navigation for 45 minutes unplugged and only used 5 percent of the battery.

That doesn't sound possible with any phone.

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I think the reason why I did so well, it was mostly rural driving with no turns. The screen will go very dim between directions then wake up when its time to give you directions.

stvlg1

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Just got my DNA a few weeks ago and I love it. The Bolt was a great phone but the battery hardly lasted a full day. I would say 7-9 was about as far as I could go with hardly any use. The tech on the DNA is like night and day. I dont even plug it in nightly any more. I am sitting at 54% 1d 1h. I could probably go the rest of the day with the charge that is left. That is two full days sending and recieving email. I even played Temple run for about 30 minutes last night.

ji001

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't sound possible with any phone.

Yeah tested it and lost 15% after 50 minutes of navigation. roughly 5 hours with full battery probably at that pace.

So 5% for 45 minutes equals to 15 hours total! that is ridiculously hilarious.

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
So, today:
14 % left after 14 hours (got an alert)
GPS on for about 4 hours & tracking for about 25 minutes on a walk
Audiobook listening over bluetooth for about 1-1.5 hours
bluetooth on all day
email push on 2 gmail accounts
5-10 texts
5-10 gchat exchanges

(My T'bolt could not have handled this)

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah tested it and lost 15% after 50 minutes of navigation. roughly 5 hours with full battery probably at that pace.

So 5% for 45 minutes equals to 15 hours total! that is ridiculously hilarious.

Did you read my explanation?? Try navigation with minimal directions. I had roughly 18 mile intervals between turns, time which the phone goes into a near sleep mode. The phone wakes up when it is time for new directions then will go back to sleep mode. If you are in a high density area with multiple direction points, you are correct that it would be impossible. My point was that I previously had a Thunderbolt and used the same route and it drained the battery. The power management on the DNA is wonderful and yes over a 45 minute time period in a rural setting with few turn points I used 5% of the battery. I can give you the route if you would like to come prove me wrong.

ji001

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Did you read my explanation?? Try navigation with minimal directions. I had roughly 18 mile intervals between turns, time which the phone goes into a near sleep mode. The phone wakes up when it is time for new directions then will go back to sleep mode. If you are in a high density area with multiple direction points, you are correct that it would be impossible. My point was that I previously had a Thunderbolt and used the same route and it drained the battery. The power management on the DNA is wonderful and yes over a 45 minute time period in a rural setting with few turn points I used 5% of the battery. I can give you the route if you would like to come prove me wrong.

I guess you could be right, my bad then. Im also an ex thunderbolt owner and I know how that went.

EdJG

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

Is this even possible?

Last night turned the phone off with 20% battery charge left. This AM it had dropped to 14% ?????

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Last night turned the phone off with 20% battery charge left. This AM it had dropped to 14% ?????

Is that good or bad? I think that's normal. Fresh from full charge at ~10PM 12/23, shut it off to wrap it up as a present. By 8 AM 12/25, battery was at 67%.

EdJG

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Is that good or bad? I think that's normal. Fresh from full charge at ~10PM 12/23, shut it off to wrap it up as a present. By 8 AM 12/25, battery was at 67%.
j

I'm puzzled by why. there's any decrease at all!

With the phone off there's no current draw, or is there?

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

Jrwatson, During navigation the screen doesn't go completely off, but it does go in a very dim sleep mode when there are prolonged intervals between directions. My first thought was what a pain in the neck because the screen would go dark enough you couldn't read it. When you would approach a turn it would come alive, brighten the screen and give the directions. It really didn't bother me because it was there when I needed it to be. You are only going to get that kind of battery life during navigation if there is enough distance between turn points to allow the sleep mode to kick in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15