To Root or Not to Root

Riley McCann

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a Droid DNA, and have been wanting to root it, but have some questions on the subject. First, I want to know.If it can be undone, or at least disguised, because.I am well aware of the fact that it voids it's warranty. Second, I want to know if it is worth it or not.
If you have anything to say on the subject I would gladly appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a Droid DNA, and have been wanting to root it, but have some questions on the subject. First, I want to know.If it can be undone, or at least disguised, because.I am well aware of the fact that it voids it's warranty. Second, I want to know if it is worth it or not.
If you have anything to say on the subject I would gladly appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

Well worth it. Yes you can go back to stock. One guy stated that it says relocked once you relock it. I've sent back two DNAs that I didn't lock back. No problems.

Rooting is sweet. Def gets rid of that dumb WiFi and NFC notification. Aosp is almost ready (cm10) you can download a camera mod, battery saving ROMs, and other things. I always have to root my phone. Plus you can over clock the CPU. Use the volume keys to take pictures . A kernel that allows you to swipe the 3buttons to wake or turn off the screen. Its not hard to root. All the directions are over at xda/rootzwiki . If you do root. Install the regular recovery. Most ROMs are tested in that recovery and not touch recovery.(DNA) its a lot better to root so you can get all that VZW and amazon stuff off. Some roms bring back the friend stream apk. And the HTC j butterfly widget. I'm not a fan of that stuff when I have the choice of aosp/desensed ( nova launcher) also the 3 dots (legacy buttons I think that's tgr name) are gone. You get an option under the display and gestures to set the multi task button to do various things. I have mine set to where if you hold it, its like pressing the menu. Right now my favorite ROM is the 320dpi. It hasn't been updated in awhile. Viper and super charged are excellent ROMs as well. Hope this helps

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking into rooting as soon as the unofficial Cyanogenmod is ready over on XDA. The guy is making great progress, only about 5 or so things aren't working yet. I guess he'll have it ready to go in a week or so.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking into rooting as soon as the unofficial Cyanogenmod is ready over on XDA. The guy is making great progress, only about 5 or so things aren't working yet. I guess he'll have it ready to go in a week or so.

If u haven't rooted yet. I'd download all the stuff that you will need to root. Takes a while to download the files . Like an hr or 2 .

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Root it. Its basically like having full control over your pc. You bought the phone yourself right? You deserve to have full control. This isnt apple where Steve Jobs' ghost tells you no you cant do this even if youre jailbroken. I know people who have sent in rooted phones and got a replacement. So im pretty sure they arent too thorough with their checks.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
How much memory do these new programs free up?

Your phone is only as Smart as you are

Its the same. Because you will need to have a back up of a ROM just in case you mess something up. But some ROMs are lite. The ROM ie using is only 300+ mb some are 500mb.

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Having this phone since launch, I still haven't found a need to root it. By adding Apex, I'm able to fill the gaps that Sense leaves and the 'bloatware' that can't be disabled isn't much of a nuisance (I do actually use My Verizon). If someone can get Wallet running or really show significant performance enhancements I may reconsider. That said, I get my crack flashing fix on my GNex and that may be another reason I am not tempted to root it yet.

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Same here (no real reason to root) Being that you can disable/hide apps in stock sense. They have gotten rid of all the real reasons to root I had before (screen shots, WiFi tether, disabling apps and theming) Coming from the Droid 1>Incredible>TBolt>Rezound>GNex which were all root. I see no reason to do so at this point. The ROM's out there don't seem worth the hassle of unlocking the device and root.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I was rooted but returned to stock, so that answers one question the op had, BUT once you relock your bootloader it will say 'tampered', will this void warrenty maybe but probably not since they rarely look. I returned to stock because some app will detect root and not run (Hulu + and TimeWarner steaming).. there maybe others. As some said above (there are other thread I inputted this on) there are few advantages to rooting at this time, sure some mods, maybe a bit of free space but it's not near what I had on my tbolt. Overclocking would be nice but this things runs pretty fast out the door..

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have rooted my previous phones, but have not found a reason to root the DNA. Cm10 might be a reason, but only if do not lose too many facilities. The loss of 4g with cm7 on my evo 4g was tough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I have rooted my previous phones, but have not found a reason to root the DNA. Cm10 might be a reason, but only if do not lose too many facilities. The loss of 4g with cm7 on my evo 4g was tough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

There are quite a few roms and kernals out that make this phone even better than it is. I didnt think I had a reason to root but there were a few issues I wanted to take care of by doing so.

Riley McCann

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I also heard that the DNA was a tricky phone to root, and if not done correctly I could end up bricking it. Should I be worried? I am a relatively good with technology, but never much more than recreational pc and Xbox mods. Can anyone who has rooted their DNA tell me what to expect, or do's and dont's so that I don't mess up?

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I also heard that the DNA was a tricky phone to root, and if not done correctly I could end up bricking it. Should I be worried? I am a relatively good with technology, but never much more than recreational pc and Xbox mods. Can anyone who has rooted their DNA tell me what to expect, or do's and dont's so that I don't mess up?

Its easy. If you can follow step by step. Its easy. Also. I watched a video on YouTube. It helped me. Also. Keep the phone display on while rooting.

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

I did mine almost half asleep at 3am. You'll be fine. Just follow the steps to a T

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca