Kernel (Android OS) Stay awake killing battery

Spider210

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Posted a picture from after factory reset and from before, anyone else having issues like this?

Just did a factory reset and still having issue

What could be the issue

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360168297234.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360168297234.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 49
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360168313321.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360168313321.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
This phone suffers from wakelock issues which keeps your phone awake. Only way to combat this is flashing a different kernel onto your phone. I did just that and my issues are fixed.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My DNA has been suffering from wakelock issues. Two in particular. wlan_rx_wake and msm_hsic_host. The first I have nailed down to the wireless routers at my office. So now I simply leave my phone in 4G while I'm at work unless I'm streaming Slacker. The second wakelock has been more annoying and much more of an issue/battery killer. This wakelock has plagued me for about 4 weeks now. There are numerous threads over at XDA that discuss it and to croppz statement the common fix is to flash a different kernel. However, as I am hooked up to my corporate email and run off of my company's IT policies that's not really an option for me.

So, last night I sat back and thought about when the wakelock started peaking it's ugly head. I've had the DNA since release day and only had the wakelock issue for the last 4 weeks and the only difference I noticed that correlated was an increase in SIM card errors. I get at least one SIM card error a day and normally just restart the phone to clear it. Last night, I decided to actually pull the SIM card and re-seat it. Today, the msm_hsic_host wakelock has been in check. Before it was literally running anytime I turned the screen off, so if I had the screen off for 7 hours the wakelock showed 7 hours. Today though, the screen has been been off for 8 1/2 hours so far and betterbatterystats is only showing 50 min of the wakelock. While I still think that high, it sure beats the 8 1/2 hours that it was doing before.

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
My DNA has been suffering from wakelock issues. Two in particular. wlan_rx_wake and msm_hsic_host. The first I have nailed down to the wireless routers at my office. So now I simply leave my phone in 4G while I'm at work unless I'm streaming Slacker. The second wakelock has been more annoying and much more of an issue/battery killer. This wakelock has plagued me for about 4 weeks now. There are numerous threads over at XDA that discuss it and to croppz statement the common fix is to flash a different kernel. However, as I am hooked up to my corporate email and run off of my company's IT policies that's not really an option for me.

So, last night I sat back and thought about when the wakelock started peaking it's ugly head. I've had the DNA since release day and only had the wakelock issue for the last 4 weeks and the only difference I noticed that correlated was an increase in SIM card errors. I get at least one SIM card error a day and normally just restart the phone to clear it. Last night, I decided to actually pull the SIM card and re-seat it. Today, the msm_hsic_host wakelock has been in check. Before it was literally running anytime I turned the screen off, so if I had the screen off for 7 hours the wakelock showed 7 hours. Today though, the screen has been been off for 8 1/2 hours so far and betterbatterystats is only showing 50 min of the wakelock. While I still think that high, it sure beats the 8 1/2 hours that it was doing before.

Glad you got it worked out. Mine was running out of whack for a while but now it is doing great. I still have a moderately high wlan rx wakelock but that is because we have like 8-10 devices connected to our router haha.

Oh and for checking wakelocks, better battery stats is worth the buy. Gsam is free but its data is also inaccurate as far as wakelocks go.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Gruwel

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum and to Android. I recently got the Galaxy S4 and I am utterly impressed with the phone and Android. I have however noticed one slight bug which occurs now and then and I am not sure what the problem and fix is, hence posting here.

Most of the time my battery life is great, but now and then I notice that my phone won't go into deep sleep when I switch the screen off and put it in standby. I initially noticed this due to "Android System" utilising >70% of my battery power whereafter I installed BetterBatteryStats. This showed me that the phone stays awake even though it is supposed to be in standby. The culprit keeping the phone awake is a partial wakelock called "wssnps". I have googled for wssnps but could not find a lot of information on this besides that it is supposedly a Samsung updater service? I suspect that having sync on sometimes results in wssnps keeping the phone awake (especially after a recharge), but switching sync off, switching the phone off and then switching phone followed by sync back on the problem is solved.

What is wssnps, has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a solution other than restarting the phone now and again?
I do not yet know the terms like "flashing to another kernal" etc., but I would like to avoid anything that will void my phones warranty.

Thanks guys!

Many thanks!

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum and to Android. I recently got the Galaxy S4 and I am utterly impressed with the phone and Android. I have however noticed one slight bug which occurs now and then and I am not sure what the problem and fix is, hence posting here.

Most of the time my battery life is great, but now and then I notice that my phone won't go into deep sleep when I switch the screen off and put it in standby. I initially noticed this due to "Android System" utilising >70% of my battery power whereafter I installed BetterBatteryStats. This showed me that the phone stays awake even though it is supposed to be in standby. The culprit keeping the phone awake is a partial wakelock called "wssnps". I have googled for wssnps but could not find a lot of information on this besides that it is supposedly a Samsung updater service? I suspect that having sync on sometimes results in wssnps keeping the phone awake (especially after a recharge), but switching sync off, switching the phone off and then switching phone followed by sync back on the problem is solved.

What is wssnps, has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a solution other than restarting the phone now and again?
I do not yet know the terms like "flashing to another kernal" etc., but I would like to avoid anything that will void my phones warranty.

Thanks guys!

Many thanks!

Flashing another kernel will void your warranty. Are you experiencing a loss in battery life? Its not uncommon for android system to use battery life for syncing, and staying in contact with the servers. If its >70% then that sounds like an issue. The guys over at the S4 forum might be of more help to you, unfortunately that's all I can suggest. Hopefully someone more knowledgable can chime in.

Sent from my CM7 OG Droid using Tapatalk 2

Gruwel

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. Yes, I experience a loss in battery life but it is an intermittent problem. Using BetteryBatteryStats I just keep an eye on my system to make sure that there are no wakelocks keeping my phone awake when it should be sleeping. At the moment everything seems to be in order. If I notice the phoning staying awake I'll just restart seeing that it's not a daily problem/occurrence (fortunately).

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma