Google Maps draining battery while closed

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
My new DNA has pretty terrible battery life. When looking at the battery usage, it looks like Google Maps is the culprit.

I have not opened the maps app and use advanced task killer to close apps constantly.

I turned off Google Latitude and still have abysmal battery life. I cannot make it through a basic workday without the phone draining to almost nothing.

Anyone know what is causing this?

Attachments

• 2013-02-19_09-47-58.jpg
    2013-02-19_09-47-58.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 2013-02-19_07-55-47.jpg
    2013-02-19_07-55-47.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 103

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but the Maps App is obviously being activated by something and it is using a disproportionate amount of my battery versus everything else. I think that is my main power problem.

ahoke13

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Every time you force close maps it will restart usually automatically and will definitely kill the battery. Also other apps and the browser I see in the screen shot uses location check settings in popular apps that you use and turn off their location settings. I hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a broader Jelly Bean issue with Maps, I've read about it on other devices as well. Hopefully Google will release an update to Maps that addresses it.

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
After the update, I had Google Maps in "stalker mode" reporting my whereabouts periodically throughout the day, and looking for places to check-in, and I saw the same skewed battery usage for Maps. I turned all of that off and today it is back to normal - Maps is at 7% App Usage. I am in WiFi most of the day today, so I'm not 100% sure the problem is solved.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
After the update, I had Google Maps in "stalker mode" reporting my whereabouts periodically throughout the day, and looking for places to check-in, and I saw the same skewed battery usage for Maps. I turned all of that off and today it is back to normal - Maps is at 7% App Usage. I am in WiFi most of the day today, so I'm not 100% sure the problem is solved.

When you refer to turning all that off, what are you referring to specifically? If I go into Google Maps, settings, and shut everything off, which includes latitude, it still does not fix the problem.

It must be some other app that is pulling my location, but I can't figure out what. I do not want to wipe out Facebook or the weather widget, but I am wondering if they are pulling my location all the time.

It's very strange.

Fraggle79

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue for a week, Google maps was using 25-30% of my battery. I figured 1 of the 3 Apps I installed that week might be the culprit so I uninstalled them. Battery has been fine ever since. I think there may some badly written apps out there that continuously pool your location for ADs.

Also, anyone else notice in running apps that you may have 2 Google maps running when you aren't even using it? I can't figure this one out yet.

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
When you refer to turning all that off, what are you referring to specifically? If I go into Google Maps, settings, and shut everything off, which includes latitude, it still does not fix the problem.

It must be some other app that is pulling my location, but I can't figure out what. I do not want to wipe out Facebook or the weather widget, but I am wondering if they are pulling my location all the time.

It's very strange.

In Google Maps -> Settings -> Location Settings, I don't have anything checked. I am still using Google Now, which seems to know where I am and provide relevant cards.

I also have Facebook installed, and am allowing the Sense weather widget to update.

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Google Maps was updated today - notes say "bug fixes". I just re-enabled report my location from this device in location settings to see if the Maps battery usage goes nuts again.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Google Maps was updated today - notes say "bug fixes". I just re-enabled report my location from this device in location settings to see if the Maps battery usage goes nuts again.

I just updated maps and re-enabled everything. Hopefully that resolves the problem.

I will try to keep you posted.

Spider210

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue disabled the maps app because I rarely used it and my battery life went way back up to over a day

Sent from my Red Droid DNA

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I just updated maps and re-enabled everything. Hopefully that resolves the problem.

I will try to keep you posted.

After the google maps update, I have not experienced any change. The app or a rogue app tapping google maps is still eating most of my battery life.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site

It's very strange.

Report from this device in the settings menu may be the culprit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

blashandroid

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Can't figure this out. Frustrating. Same problem. Unbelievably inefficient and a waste of battery resources. Can't wait to learn what the culprit is.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Uninstall all map updates on your phone, and turn off location sharing in the app. This will majorally fix the problem. If all else fails, disable the app. If you check your battery graph, is your phone being awakened when the screen is not on? I found that was the problem with Google maps, it was using 30% of my battery and keeping my phone awake 24/7.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA