There is a reason for no removable SD card, copied from another article

1dtb

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
For those who might have missed this article by Jerry, Thank Him

Google still supports removable storage in Android, but it is leading by example and providing phones (and now a tablet) with one big block of storage that users can use for anything they like -- be it media, documents, or apps. There are a couple of side benefits to this approach as well. The first one is a bit geeky -- it allows the device to use ext file systems instead of a mix of ext and FAT. This is faster and safer -- both for the data on the device and the way it's handled, and access to our own personal data. A journalized file system means fewer file errors, and ext preserves file system permissions so random code can't find your pictures or documents folder.

Another benefit is that the host machine (when your device is connected to a computer) can't muck things up and molest the file system, as it doesn't have block-level access to the files. Instead, a proxy FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) file system is used to mount a psuedo-SD card folder so that your computer can read and write to it via MTP. This means you won't get errors from incorrectly unmounting your phone, and the device still has access to all the data even while plugged into a PC.

Does Google want you to use Google Play and its cloud services? Of course it does. But there is no secret evil cabal in Mountain View that held back the SD card slot to force it on you. In fact, you're still free to use other cloud solutions like Amazon, Dropbox, or even a shared drive on your desktop PC. Nobody has to like the fact that Nexus devices ship with no SD card slot, but let's stop looking for conspiracies when we already know the answer.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
That's all well and good. But I wish they'd provided more storage! That to me is the BIG advantage to an SD card. I would be happy to do without it otherwise.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I am glad that we are finally moving past the archaic SD card. But in lieu of that, phone manufacturers need to offer onboard storage options. Having the choice with The One is perfect.
And although I am fine with the 16gb offered with the DNA, I can appreciate that there are many people who aren't happy with that size.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if I would consider 11GB usable space as one BIG block of storage, but it's enough for me. imo migration to cloud storage is great, but it'd be even better when cellphone companies reduce the cost per GB, or reintroduce unlimited plans. I'm paying $30/mo for 2GB (we're on an archaic family plan), which is fine for my usage but I really can't rely on cloud storage.

Though, I thought the reason the DNA didn't have removable storage was something on Verizon's part? Because the HTC Butterfly, which is the international version of the DNA, has a microSD slot..
HTC-Butterfly-2.jpg

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Though, I thought the reason the DNA didn't have removable storage was something on Verizon's part? Because the HTC Butterfly, which is the international version of the DNA, has a microSD slot.
I heard on some podcast that they were told that the LTE radio took up the space where the Butterfly's SD card was.
*shrug*

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk

gooroo_dougie

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Part of why I like my Droid DNA so much is because it *doesn't* have a removable battery or an SD card slot.

Having a backup battery on case of 'emergency' was convenient on all of my previous Android phones, but removing the case, removing the back plate, swapping batteries and then replacing it all was a pain. I've only run out of battery once since I've had my DNA and it was because I got sent out late on the day in a company vehicle and forgot to grab my car charger. Plus with the money I save I can buy an extra Qi charger for the office.

I know it's all use case, but I don't tend to fill up phone storage, either. A few favorite albums, podcasts that delete once I've listened to them, and I'm good to go. I store tons of documents for work and school on Google Drive and access over WiFi when I can. Even with this gorgeous screen I'm not going to watch movies or TV shows, I've got a tablet for that.

After a week or two I had adjusted my behavior to match the phone and I'm totally used to it now. And the trade off is a sleek phone that might be the first one I keep using even after I qualify for an upgrade.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I dont like it...but that is a damn good reason, or excuse...lol. No SD card means more work for me to transfer stuff to a new phone. In some cases...the newer phone having a higher class SD card...I'm gonna transfer my stuff to that card anyway.

Just give us more internal storage then. I think no SD card means better or faster read/write access? Guessing here...

And right now I am at 9.8GB internal storage used...and 4.3GB used on my SD Card....I have a Maxx HD. I would be out of luck with a DNA.

whataboutroaming

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry this hasn't got anything to do with SD cards, but I couldn't find a discussion with my subject.
So I hope one of you guys can answer my question...
I have about 3 Gb of internet left for this month (I know it's too much) and I'll be leaving the Netherlands soon.
I wanted to know if (when I arrived in UK) I could just turn on data roaming and it will be used on my Gb I have left.
Or is it something completely different and will I get more costs?
Thank you for helping!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
SD cards are BAD. i'd rather have more internal storage. why?

1. SD card storage is much slower than internal.
2. SD card storage is INSECURE. if your phone gets lost/stolen the SD card is a security hole.

lazarus2297

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am fine with the 16gb storage and now that there are versions of clockwork recovery that have OTG support I have no issues at all..I just keep all my nandroids and Rom flashing stuff on a 16gb usb drive and don't have to take up the precious internal storage anymore!

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Having a backup battery on case of 'emergency' was convenient on all of my previous Android phones, but removing the case, removing the back plate, swapping batteries and then replacing it all was a pain.

lol not as annoying as constantly toting around an external battery charger and having to recharge it to last a long day. I like the flush design of the phone, but I wish the battery held up better. Was on my phone for 2.5 hours over a 7-hour period of time--web browsing, listening to music, reading the (offline) kindle app--and it went down to 20% from full charge. Half the time I had the screen dimmed.

Either way, the OP post isn't specifically why the DNA doesn't have an SD card, just why smartphones may be heading in that direction. Which is great, but if you're going to limit memory and battery life, you might as try to stay on top of it. 11GB usable storage is fine with me, but as smartphone megapixels continue to rise (lol remember VGA cameras?) that means you need a hell of a lot more storage. I think there's some Nokia phone with like a 40MP Zeiss-glass camera. You either auto-upload 40MP pics, or constantly weed through them lol

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Either way, the OP post isn't specifically why the DNA doesn't have an SD card, just why smartphones may be heading in that direction. Which is great, but if you're going to limit memory and battery life, you might as try to stay on top of it. 11GB usable storage is fine with me, but as smartphone megapixels continue to rise (lol remember VGA cameras?) that means you need a hell of a lot more storage. I think there's some Nokia phone with like a 40MP Zeiss-glass camera. You either auto-upload 40MP pics, or constantly weed through them lol

Oh, I thought the reason was blindingly obvious. It's not a technical or aesthetic issue at all. It's because you can buy an SD card to give you 32gig for $20 delivered from Amazon right this second, but that same 32gig will cost you $100 or so built in to your phone. Then, when THAT'S not enough you can go ahead and pay $20 a gig overage charges for mobile data. Everyone wins. Except you.

Last edited:

wlmeng11

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

2. SD card storage is INSECURE. if your phone gets lost/stolen the SD card is a security hole.

1. 17 MB/s is slow? There's something called Class 10 SD cards.
2. Encryption.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

If you lose your phone, all anyone has to do is connect it to a PC and they have your stuff, assuming you do not encrypt. SD makes no difference.
If I can play a video off SD (and I can) that's as fast as it needs to be.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
We forgot one comparison....PC's. If SD Cards are insecure....hard drives are too. I wonder how many ppl take the time to wipe a hard drive when selling or giving away a PC or destroy one thats supposed to be dead.