Rooting, unlocking, bootloaders, roms...

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
So I've been looking at sense five more and more and I really want to try it, more so because of the lock screen. The only way to do this as of now is with a rom, correct? Does the phone have to be rooted or unlocked for this? Or both? I have the latest ota, which I heard relocked the bootloader. So I can't root? With HTC having released the source codes, is there a chance the bootloader will be unlocked again? And by any chance if or when it is, what is the best (and easiest) method of acheiving this? Unlocking bootloader, rooting, and downloading sense 5 Rom? I have no experience with doing this type of thing at all and really don't want to break my phone...

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Your going to have wait until they come up with a way to unlock the updated bootloader. The code that was released won't help it will just help the developers build roms/kernels of that build. I have been checking threads hourly because I need a replacement due to small cracking in screen and waiting because I don't want to lose root. The minute I see a new method I'll be first to let everyone here know.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the responses. Sucks that they still haven't unlocked the bootloader, its been 2 months since the ota. Any idea how much longer it will take? Guess ill just research on how to do until the moment arrives.

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
i would look for a way to roll back to the release previous to the current ota

usually once ota's are pushed out its usually a week or so before the new stuff is pushed out to the latest roms.

i personally never accept ota's i just look forward to the latest and greatest roms :)

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
i would look for a way to roll back to the release previous to the current ota

usually once ota's are pushed out its usually a week or so before the new stuff is pushed out to the latest roms.

i personally never accept ota's i just look forward to the latest and greatest roms :)

This is the best thing to attempt. I never accept an OTA. That's simply because I never have the capability to do so. I always root right out of the box so the updates pass right over me. You will be a lot happier with your DNA once you are able to unlock and flash a custom Rom. It's worth the time and effort. You just have to do your homework and take your time with the steps. All in all...it's not that difficult.

Adding my 5sense

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
This is the best thing to attempt. I never accept an OTA. That's simply because I never have the capability to do so. I always root right out of the box so the updates pass right over me. You will be a lot happier with your DNA once you are able to unlock and flash a custom Rom. It's worth the time and effort. You just have to do your homework and take your time with the steps. All in all...it's not that difficult.

Adding my 5sense

Would a factory reset do this?

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
No Factory reset will clear a number of items but doesn't reload the code.
Currently (I just looked into this the other day) there are no ways to root with OTA code OR Roll back, though they are looking into both ways.
What I was looking for is IF you were lucky to have rooted and still have the CID.bin from orig code release (I unlocked day 4) you can use that to
unlock the bootloader, my understanding is even with the OTA load. Since you already have the properly decrypted cid file.
I had relocked and returned to stock due to ROMs for hte DNA were in thier infancy and didn't buy much and disabled some functions I'd needed.
I'm going to reinstall a rom and see if that would fix my wifi issues reported elsewhere, I'd like CM10 but it still has a ways to go, my concern is once the ONE
is released the HTC knowledgable people who do this will move off this platform.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
In the mean time you could download Android SDK and read up on using ADB which you'll need to root and unlock your phone.

Download here:
Android SDK | Android Developers

How to Video:

This is going to be the hardest part of rooting/unlocking but you have some great member here at AC that are very helpful.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
In the mean time you could download Android SDK and read up on using ADB which you'll need to root and unlock your phone.

Download here:
Android SDK | Android Developers

How to Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TBNEOelTeM

This is going to be the hardest part of rooting/unlocking but you have some great member here at AC that are very helpful.

It's not really hard to do if you follow step for step. I usually watch a sequence. Follow along...then pause. Do what's needed and repeat.

Adding my 5sense

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Your right that it's not really that hard I've always had issues for some reason with the drivers.

Same here. But here's something to keep in mind. When I run into this problem...switching the usb port that I'm using will help. For some reason drivers only get found/installed from one usb port that I have. I use windows7

Adding my 5sense

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
My last issue was upgrading from W7 to W8 and needing a different driver, but I've always found a helpful thread or video.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Anyone no wanting to wait for the developers to figure how to unlock the OTA now have the option to send your phone into either JTAG or Mobiltech and they will unlock your device for you. From what people are saying it's going to take a week or so for your phone to return. Here's the thread I got the information from Using JTAG S-OFF Service with 2.04 Firmware | Droid DNA > XDA

Ouch. I couldn't be without my device that long. Lol:D

Adding my 5sense

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
It would be tough going without that long unless you have a decent spare, I would just take my Gnex back from my son for the week if I had to. I knw this wouldn't work for most but just wanted to share the option.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
It would be tough going without that long unless you have a decent spare, I would just take my Gnex back from my son for the week if I had to. I knw this wouldn't work for most but just wanted to share the option.

If I had a other phone I'd jump on it, but alas :-(