Modified Nokia DT900 wireless charger for use in the car (pics added)

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Should have done this when I first picked up the DNA.
Got tired off that little USB cover every time I wanted to charge (car and home).
But didn't want to tear it off if I ever wanted to sell it.
Picked up 2 Nokia DT900 charging pads, modified one for the car use the other for home charging. The plug ends are the same on both sides.
2013-04-22081908_zps0e90bef2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2013-04-22081929_zpsda27c10b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I had 2 car mounts to choose from, Exogear Exomount and iBolt for DNA
Hate how strong the spring is on the IBolt so decided to work with the Exomount.
CIMG7175_zps3a077cac.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The car mount mod was easy; cut one end of the charging wire (only set up to work with the supplied wall adapter) and spliced it to a micro fuse tap (google it). The outer casing wire is the ground and the inner is the hot.
2013-04-22102626_zps684dcc17.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Took the charging pad and epoxied the bottom to the bottom clamp of the Exomount, done.
2013-04-22102450_zps0d14b87a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2013-04-22102525_zps0a186b8b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2013-04-22102444_zpsf21b6000.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

With the bottom of the charging pad epoxied I just squeeze the clamp open and the charging pad remains on the bottom and the top clamp opens enough to insert the DNA. Close clamp and it begins to charge.

No more wires or that stupid USB cover to deal with.
CIMG7179_zps754eb0eb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CIMG7177_zps11889454.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CIMG7178_zps08e7ac71.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Took about a half hour to modify and install (let the epoxy sit overnight). I like hidden wires so I took the time later (about an hour) to hide all the wires behind the dash as well as hooking up a headphone jack wire to play music and phone calls through the stereo.

CIMG7180_zps35785736.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

ddickinson

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Modified Nokia DT900 wireless for use in the car (pics added)

How did you wire the micro fuse taps to the charging cable. How clean does it look, and which fuse did you connect it to

ddickinson

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

All so do you have any worries about running DC voltage through a device that was designed for AC with no converter

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

How did you wire the micro fuse taps to the charging cable. How clean does it look, and which fuse did you connect it to

Cut the end off the wire, separated the ground and hot. Connected via standard wire splice connector Blue Wire Splice Connectors Stock Photo 39451615 : Shutterstock that comes with the fuse tap Fuse Tap/Holder by COOPER BUSSMANN - Fuse Blocks by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies . Looks very clean in that once I put the fuse box cover on you can no longer see it.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

All so do you have any worries about running DC voltage through a device that was designed for AC with no converter

Actually it is a DC device that uses an AC converter for the wall.
See first pic of my post, the white wall plug is the adapter.

user242

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Look good, thanks for sharing. Those "Fuse Tap/Holder by COOPER BUSSMANN - Fuse Blocks by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies" are expensive at $17 a pop and you need 2 it seems.

I was thinking could you also use a small cigarette lighter 150 watt power inverter I saw one in Walmart for just $14 this way you can use your charging stand setup in other vehicles as well. It won't look as tidy as yours but it would save you a lot of time for install and you wouldn't have to cut open the charging cable. Might save you a good chunk of change too :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Look good, thanks for sharing. Those "Fuse Tap/Holder by COOPER BUSSMANN - Fuse Blocks by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies" are expensive at $17 a pop and you need 2 it seems.

I was thinking could you also use a small cigarette lighter 150 watt power inverter I saw one in Walmart for just $14 this way you can use your charging stand setup in other vehicles as well. It won't look as tidy as yours but it would save you a lot of time for install and you wouldn't have to cut open the charging cable. Might save you a good chunk of change too :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Thanks, happy to share.
You bet, certainly many variations are possible to accomplish the same thing.
And I only needed on Fuse Tap...the other is for my Radar Detector (should have mentioned that). The Fuse Tap link I used was just an example, you can get them cheaper if you look around.
I really hate cigarette plugs so I tend to hard wire where I can just for the "clean look.

ddickinson

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Looks good again thanks. Just realized you missed second part of my first question. Which fuse did you tap into (radio ACC ect..) and what amp was it

Cyco9

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Awesome rig Seattle, thanks for posting! Overall a pretty clean fabrication. It would be nice if you could find an "L" shaped connector for the Nokia so the power wire doesn't stick out the side as much but that's just me nit picking.

I'm not sure if you are using it already but the DNA has a stock car mode that's pretty cool. It's a hidden application so I used an app called multicon to be able to access it.

Great stuff. Thanks again for sharing :cool:.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Awesome rig Seattle, thanks for posting! Overall a pretty clean fabrication. It would be nice if you could find an "L" shaped connector for the Nokia so the power wire doesn't stick out the side as much but that's just me nit picking.

I'm not sure if you are using it already but the DNA has a stock car mode that's pretty cool. It's a hidden application so I used an app called multicon to be able to access it.

Thanks Cyco9!
The good news on the cord is that when the phone is in place you can't see it. The cord to the right is the auxiliary input for the stereo, I am thinking about a "L" shaped version for that one.
I actually disabled the car mode, a bit restrictive for me so I created my own car mode screen (not pictured, second screen on my phone).
I appreciate your input!

Great stuff. Thanks again for sharing :cool:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463