Why is the bootloader still locked?

macmitten

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I understand it may be difficult to unlock. But I thought the people that do it are bad asses. Are devs using other phones? S3 maybe. One of the main reasons I bought this phone was to do crazy customizations and mess with different cpu settings etc. Not to mention deleting bloatware and blocking the hell out of ads. Any answers or opinions welcome.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what your actually asking but...

Based off the title of the thread, every phone comes with a locked bootloader. Even the Nexus 4, although Nexus devices can be very easily unlocked, but for security and legal issues they are locked out of the box.

If you are asking how to do it. I just did a quick search and found these articles. Not sure if they all work now, since XDA said if you accept the OTA it will NOT work, for their method anyway.

BREAKING: Droid DNA bootloader can now be unlocked with an app - Announcements - RootzWiki - RootzNews - RootzWiki

HTC Droid DNA Bootloader Unlock/New Method | Droid DNA > XDA

HTC Droid DNA gets a bootloader unlock workaround | HTC Source

If you wanted a phone that you could really play around with and tinker, you should have gotten a Galaxy Nexus. Huge developer support, easily unlocked and rooted, and is almost impossible to brick. No other phone is a hacker friendly as a Nexus and has LTE and CDMA unlike the Nexus 4.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I think his question was more so, why has the dev community still not found a way to unlock the bootlader. Its been two months since the initial ota that locked it. I thought it would have been unlocked by now. But if there is someone out there working on it, good luck and I hope you find a way around it soon ;-)

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

macmitten

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I do realize phones usually come with a locked bootloader. Also I had the galaxy nexus. I enjoyed it very much but upgraded. Lastly, I took the Ota after my phone turned on. So... Bootloader still not unlockable?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
A lot of the DNA dev community could be jumping ship to the ONE or upcoming s4, but I can't be entirely sure. I have also been waiting patiently.

macmitten

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
A lot of the DNA dev community could be jumping ship to the ONE or upcoming s4, but I can't be entirely sure. I have also been waiting patiently.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. When I bought the phone, I was thinking it would be the top dog for a while. Ota updates, then a day later be unlockable again.
Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. When I bought the phone, I was thinking it would be the top dog for a while. Ota updates, then a day later be unlockable again.
Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Maybe its a little harder than they thought it would be? Idk, I'm not a developer, in fact, I've never rooted. But I bought the phone thinking I'd like to. I don't mind staying stock, if the DNA ever sees a sense 5 update. But if it doesn't, I want to flash a sense 5 Rom, which I can't do with the bootloader locked :-( best bet is to maybe go over to xda and ask how the process is going or if anyone is still working on it.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I do realize phones usually come with a locked bootloader. Also I had the galaxy nexus. I enjoyed it very much but upgraded. Lastly, I took the Ota after my phone turned on. So... Bootloader still not unlockable?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Like I said stick with a nexus. Only nexus phones can locked and unlocked without much hassle. OTA's will not break that and no need to go to the manufacturer website that will void the warranty to unlock. If it is not a Nexus, the carriers and manufacturers will fix the holes to prevent unlocking for the sake of security. Situations like this is why I haven't bought a non nexus or Google experience device in 2 1/2 years.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34