Talk to text

librim

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello-
It seems a recent development on my DNA:
It seems that sometime it takes a very long time for the talk to text feature to work. Other times it is instantaneous, it does seem to matter if I am 4G or wi-fi.

Is there a setting I am missing or is it the nature of the beast?

I just don't remember this being a problem in the past.
This all started about a month ago.
Otherwise love this phone.:D

Thanks for the help
PB

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Which is slower, 4g or Wi-Fi? I am under the impression that it needs data to do the speech to text so if you have a slower connection it might take a bit longer. I'll have to test it out on mine and see how it works.

librim

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't really seem to matter right now I'm on 4G and it works instantly sometimes I'm on wifi and it takes a while seems to be more about the area I'm in them what I'm connected to.
What you say makes sense maybe it's just the necessary data is having a hard time grabbing depending on where I am

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I've found talk to text can take longer when the data is scarce, so it could very well be what area you are in.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

librim

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I've found talk to text can take longer when the data is scarce, so it could very well be what area you are in.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA
3g or 4g or wi-fi does not seem to matter- I think you right Jennifer, it just might be the aera.
At least its not some bug in the phone- thats harder to change than the area I am in:p

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing, but it's not limited to the DNA. My Note 2 also sits a while sometimes. It's just the fact that the speech recognition engine is running remotely and you have to wait for the network and remote server. Unloading the chore from the phone was a good idea, but sometimes it's quite slow. And it's really frustrating when you have to wait only to get some garbled mess back!

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I actually said "unload" and I should have said "offload" the chore. The actual work is being done by a remote computer. The phone is just transmitting your voice to a speech recognition program running on a much more powerful remote computer. That computer is returning whatever it comes up with as a text translation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci