Upgrading.... but to what?!

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I took that horrid WP back to the VZW store and told them to keep the funds instead of paying me back so they could keep the commission. The only catch is when a phone comes out I want I get it at the discounted price with a credit of the $99 I spent on the Nokia Lumia and they were game. I'm waiting on the HTC One but with being able to upgrade to any device I'm wanting some suggestions. I love my DNA but I'm a geek and want the latest and greatest at all times..... I hate having phone envy and not sure if there is anything out there that beats the DNA. Thoughts?! Please.....!

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
It is all about preference. What gives you phone envy? Is it screen size? Process speed? Black blacks? True color replication? On screen buttons? Physical Buttons? Capacitive buttons? Material? Feel in hand?

Unless you are very unique, there is going to be some compromise. I will admit, as much as I love the screen on the DNA...I'll do something on my wife's GS3 and I long for the dark black of the SAMOLED screens. It only lasts until we are both outside and the brightness of the DNA screen allows me to hold my phone normally (not cupped in shaded or close to face). While I like the DNA size, I have to admit that I prefer the size of my GNex. I would really prefer a Nexus experience, but I am not willing to leave Verizon. Compromises all around.

I think the DNA will be the first phone in many that I will keep for the length of my contract. With Google transitioning to the service model, I believe the features that a new phone would have provided in the past will come to the DNA whether VZW provides any software updates or not. Although Blinkfeed is kind of cool, it doesn't fit my current workflow and I use Action Launcher so the Sense 5 launcher does not matter. Zoes would be awesome, but I'm not convinced that they will come with an update. Samsung's gesturing features do not appeal to me and although I think the upcoming Motorola devices are likely to be awesome, I doubt they will come with a killer feature that will draw me to them.

Steve

skycross

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I would wait until the new moto maxx is out. 1080p screen w/ 48 hours of battery life.. plus best reception in the industry. 8/8 isn't that far off. I'm still in love with my DNA but that may be the best phone ever when it comes out.

LHKJohn

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I miss my DNA, but 16gb (10, really) of storage really killed it for me. I didn't think it would bother me since I heavily use cloud storage, but seriously, 2 nandroids stored and it was totally tapped. Good specs, great build quality and a crystal clear screen... If it had 32gb or more, or even expanable, it could have been the perfect phone. I actually prefer it to the One.

-Duly GNOTE2'd

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I would wait until the new moto maxx is out. 1080p screen w/ 48 hours of battery life.. plus best reception in the industry. 8/8 isn't that far off. I'm still in love with my DNA but that may be the best phone ever when it comes out.

Isn't the next hero device the best phone ever?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I miss my DNA, but 16gb (10, really) of storage really killed it for me. I didn't think it would bother me since I heavily use cloud storage, but seriously, 2 nandroids stored and it was totally tapped. Good specs, great build quality and a crystal clear screen... If it had 32gb or more, or even expanable, it could have been the perfect phone. I actually prefer it to the One.

-Duly GNOTE2'd

I get the storage argument, but I don't think Verizon or HTC will ever make a storage decision to cover Nandroid backups. It isn't a use case they want to consider.

LHKJohn

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I get the storage argument, but I don't think Verizon or HTC will ever make a storage decision to cover Nandroid backups. It isn't a use case they want to consider.

Lol well I get that, but it was pretty much the reason I switched phones.

-Duly GNOTE2'd

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site

Ive never been a moto fan myself. The battery life doesnt do much for me as I see close to 2 days or so out of my dna for what I use it for. Give me the ONE's speakers on a DNA aka butterfly s, and that is my perfect phone. Storage also isnt a factor for me with phones. I use it for apps and a few albums of music and thats it, still sitting over 7 gig left.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Ive never been a moto fan myself. The battery life doesnt do much for me as I see close to 2 days or so out of my dna for what I use it for. Give me the ONE's speakers on a DNA aka butterfly s, and that is my perfect phone. Storage also isnt a factor for me with phones. I use it for apps and a few albums of music and thats it, still sitting over 7 gig left.

My OG Droids speakers **** all over the DNA speakers. And the thunderbolt I had too for that matter.

Sent from my CM7 OG Droid using Tapatalk

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
It is all about preference. What gives you phone envy? Is it screen size? Process speed? Black blacks? True color replication? On screen buttons? Physical Buttons? Capacitive buttons? Material? Feel in hand?

Unless you are very unique, there is going to be some compromise. I will admit, as much as I love the screen on the DNA...I'll do something on my wife's GS3 and I long for the dark black of the SAMOLED screens. It only lasts until we are both outside and the brightness of the DNA screen allows me to hold my phone normally (not cupped in shaded or close to face). While I like the DNA size, I have to admit that I prefer the size of my GNex. I would really prefer a Nexus experience, but I am not willing to leave Verizon. Compromises all around.

I think the DNA will be the first phone in many that I will keep for the length of my contract. With Google transitioning to the service model, I believe the features that a new phone would have provided in the past will come to the DNA whether VZW provides any software updates or not. Although Blinkfeed is kind of cool, it doesn't fit my current workflow and I use Action Launcher so the Sense 5 launcher does not matter. Zoes would be awesome, but I'm not convinced that they will come with an update. Samsung's gesturing features do not appeal to me and although I think the upcoming Motorola devices are likely to be awesome, I doubt they will come with a killer feature that will draw me to them.

Steve

I prefer fast and comfort. The DNA with Swype works great for one hand functionality. The DNA is a great phone but I too dislike Sense UI and currently utilize Nova Prime for a more true Vanilla experience. I can't stand Samsung and what they've done with the interface. I've been using Moto phones since the OG and this is my first stray from them. I'm beyond pleased and think it would last me through the end of my contract. But I am addicted to my toys and bore easily with them. I think the biggest thing will be the lack in the gap of technology from the DNA to another device at this time. But having an upgrade already in progress with a phone discounted coming to me as soon as one I want is available I need to jump onto something and it looks like 8-1-2013 will be the time to do so. I just hope I can get a black HTC One, that would go with my third preference.... a sexii phone!

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site

I agree, Motorola has the best reception out there. But I haven't had any issues with the DNA. The Moto X (Maxx) looks sweet..... I also agree on that but not sure I'm willing to go back to Moto just yet. I appreciate your input.

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site

-Duly GNOTE2'd

When I first seen the One come out I thought the same thing. I'd prefer the DNA over the One due to larger screen and the One only has minimal enhancements when it comes to specs. I have had the phone since it came out and JUST ran out of memory. Mostly because of the camera..... Using Google Music and Drive, Skydrive, Dropbox, etc I don't need that much memory. So maybe I get an iPhone or a better WP...... NAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site

That's an old blanket statement that doesn't work anymore for Motorola. my maxx hd got horrible reception at my house where my DNA gets moderate at least. MAXX HD reception was garbage.

from my DNA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret