New VZW SW Update Pushed?

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Just got a notification on my phone that it got pushed "HTC6435LVW_2.06.605.1-2.04.605.2", and I chose to "defer installation"...

Anyone know what's in this update???

Also, does anyone know if this'll break the root/S-OFF previously achieved???
- Bonus question: If so, anyone have a way to preserve the S-OFF/Unlocked status or re-apply it after update?

-AJ

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Just got a notification on my phone that it got pushed "HTC6435LVW_2.06.605.1-2.04.605.2", and I chose to "defer installation"...

- Bonus question: If so, anyone have a way to preserve the S-OFF/Unlocked status or re-apply it after update?

-AJ

I don't have a DNA, so I can't answer specifically, but *ANY* OTA update will almost always break root and could potentially lock your bootloader. If you're unsure and want to keep root, I'd definitely defer installing the update until the effects have been documented, and it has been confirmed that root can still be achieved on the newer version. XDA often has insight in this type of information as well.

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That's the SIM card update they pushed out months ago. You may be able to use the OTA rootkeeper app from the play store, but I'm not sure. I'm not rooted.

-AJ

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
That's the SIM card update they pushed out months ago. You may be able to use the OTA rootkeeper app from the play store, but I'm not sure. I'm not rooted.

REALLY? Wow, I can't believe it hasn't been pushed to me until today. I've had the phone for a few months.

I have that rootkeeper app, and it worked fine for my previous phones (Motos), but it appears that HTC does things a little differently, and I'm not sure it will be effective.

Thanks for the reply.

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
REALLY? Wow, I can't believe it hasn't been pushed to me until today. I've had the phone for a few months.

I have that rootkeeper app, and it worked fine for my previous phones (Motos), but it appears that HTC does things a little differently, and I'm not sure it will be effective.

Thanks for the reply.

No problem. There are others here that may know if it works or not. Hopefully they can help.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
After your reply, I did some more googl'ing and found a few threads. Most people posted that it didn't really help, and many say it actually seems to have caused other, bad, side-effects.

So as a tangential question: Does anyone know how to permanently defer a software update? It only let me select a date a few days into the future.

dnickb

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
After your reply, I did some more googl'ing and found a few threads. Most people posted that it didn't really help, and many say it actually seems to have caused other, bad, side-effects.

I actually had a DNA that was working fine until the update pushed out. Then, it stopped working right with, ironically, a lot of "No-SIM" issues. Employees at the store told me it probably just corrupted itself. Don't know if I buy that, but I did get a new device.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

So as a tangential question: Does anyone know how to permanently defer a software update? It only let me select a date a few days into the future.

On Samsung phones, if you're rooted you can go to /system/app and rename "SDM.apk" to "SDM.bak" (or freeze SDM.apk using Titanium Backup) and it will essentially block all OTAs...not sure if it's the same file on HTC

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
On Samsung phones, if you're rooted you can go to /system/app and rename "SDM.apk" to "SDM.bak" (or freeze SDM.apk using Titanium Backup) and it will essentially block all OTAs...not sure if it's the same file on HTC
Awesome information. (And I use Ti Backup).

Anyone know what the corresponding app is on the HTC phones?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one that was insanely excited when I saw the title of this post? I almost spilt my coffee lol.

Posted via Android Central App

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one that was insanely excited when I saw the title of this post? I almost spilt my coffee lol.
Yeah, well I apologize for that. I, too, would love to see an updated Sense pushed (and was half hoping that's what it was -- so I was disappointed myself when I found out what it was).

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

I think I saw a "Mod" for this on the xda forums for the DNA. I'm on my phone so I can't really help with a link but I'd check that out.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer