Droid DNA: Signal Strength after 4.4.2 Update Observation

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I as well as a few others have noted that the signal strength reading on our DNA's is much less than before the update. For me, in areas where I consistently had 5 bars, it now shows 2 or 3. In other areas, it fluctuates between 1 and 3 bars. I have not had any dropped calls or loss of call quality thus far. I noticed something today - I had 2 bars and placed a call, and the reading immediately jumped up to 4 bars when I pressed send. I could repeat this behavior every time, where the signal strength reading would jump up 2 or 3 bars immediately when the call was placed. Since I am not having any issues related to poor signal quality (dropped calls. missed calls, etc.), I'm wondering if this is intentional as a power saving feature to extend battery life. Maybe, throttle back the radio power to a minimum that is required to keep connection with the towers, then increase the power during a call. I could be totally wrong on this.

Does anyone else see this same behavior?

Last edited by a moderator:

gbororats

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Signal Strength after 4.4.2 Update Observation

My data drops to the point where I have to reboot if turning to airplane mode doesn't do it. Very annoying it's like the handoff between 3 and 4 g is not working properly.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I as well as a few others have noted that the signal strength reading on our DNA's is much less than before the update. For me, in areas where I consistently had 5 bars, it now shows 2 or 3. In other areas, it fluctuates between 1 and 3 bars. I have not had any dropped calls or loss of call quality thus far. I noticed something today - I had 2 bars and placed a call, and the reading immediately jumped up to 4 bars when I pressed send. I could repeat this behavior every time, where the signal strength reading would jump up 2 or 3 bars immediately when the call was placed. Since I am not having any issues related to poor signal quality (dropped calls. missed calls, etc.), I'm wondering if this is intentional as a power saving feature to extend battery life. Maybe, throttle back the radio power to a minimum that is required to keep connection with the towers, then increase the power during a call. I could be totally wrong on this.

Does anyone else see this same behavior?

I see the same thing here. Makes no sense to me though. Seems like we should be seeing the exact opposite effect, going with that theory. Showing the signal as low would have the phone constantly struggle to find a stronger one, using up more battery, not less. It IS an interesting theory of you're right though.

For me here, as I test, I sit in my home where I have a network extender, I should be seeing full 5 bars at all times, occasionally falling to 4 depending on the room I'm in. Yet I am constantly showing one bar, and no more, since the update. I dial "#48" (network extender test) and bam, right up to 5 bars immediately.

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Same thing. Standing 3ft from my network extender, I am getting 1 or 2 bars - and #48 immediately goes to 5. I haven't had the phone away from the charger for my normal work week duration, so I will be curious to see battery life next week. I noted the other thread where folks are having battery life issues after the update, so you may be right that the low signal reading is causing the phone to work harder to maintain a connection. I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

bunky1971

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This update is like a step backwards in connectivity. If I were android smarter, I would have rooted and just put the ROM on the device. I've had more dropped calls and network issues, going to 1x, I'm almost ready to go back to BlackBerry

I don't think you should have to airplane mode toggle or restart a device to have solid network connection

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

bunky1971

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
At work now and my service is phenomenal, one bar
!! yay Verizon! (So much sarcasm. It would sink a ship)

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
At work now and my service is phenomenal, one bar
!! yay Verizon! (So much sarcasm. It would sink a ship)

I'm at work now as well and where I would have previously seen 5 bars of 4G, I'm now seeing 4. Certainty not significant, but a difference nonetheless.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk

talonsmith

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I am also seeing the signal downgrades. I also and getting the SIM card not found errors like crazy again. It was good after the last update

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm at work now as well and where I would have previously seen 5 bars of 4G, I'm now seeing 4. Certainty not significant, but a difference nonetheless.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk

At and around work today I still had only 1-3 bars. I would normally get a consistent 4 bars. No call related issues that I am aware of, and my battery life seems about the same.

TriBeard92

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
When the sprint m7 got updated to KitKat (or was it Jelly Bean?), the signal indicators changed what they measured. Pre-update, it measured voice connectivity strength. Post update, it measured data connectivity strength, until you placed a call when it would switch to voice signal again. This resulted in people seeing a lower amount of signal as it was measuring something different, but performance stayed the same as the visual indicator was all that changed. This sounds exactly like what you guys are experiencing.

bunky1971

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't take the slow speeds, went to a VZW store and got a new SIM card and tech support resetting my account So far, after two wipe/ cashe clears and resets, things seem to be settling in. 3+ bars 4G everywhere.

tariq3877

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I am experiencing same problem the possible solution i found out is go in "settings->More Networks->Mobile Network->Network Mode-> Now select WCDMA/GAM the signal bar is full and internet speed more constant as 4G is only pain in *** for me.

When my phone goes on 4g Signal Bar dropped to 0 but still i can make receive calls.

PLEASE ANYONE UPDATE IF THERE IS A SOLUTION OR ROM

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang