Which phone to upgrade to before end of year?

DarkBeer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I want to take advantage of being able to upgrade my DNA at no cost to me, so I need to do that by the end of this year. The company is switching to employee purchase of phones starting next year. I'm on Verizon. Looking for recommendations from those that have switched, or are contemplating a switch soon. I've primarily been looking at the Turbo, LG G3, and One M8. I've been on HTC devices, so am comfortable/familiar with Sense, and currently running a One based ROM on my DNA. I'm also fond of the wireless charging options, but don't know if a lack of it is enough to rule a particular phone out. Being able to root is a plus. Also leaning to a replaceable battery being a plus as well. Wife recently picked up a Note 4. I'll look at it some more, but that seems almost too big.
Is anyone aware of any new devices due out this month? If not, what is your favorite option today and why?
Thanks!

TrajDroid

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm moving to the LG G3. I wanna get away from HTC and carrier specific phones which I always seem to get. I was always a fan of LG pre smartphone days. I still miss my EnV flip phone.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I want to take advantage of being able to upgrade my DNA at no cost to me, so I need to do that by the end of this year. The company is switching to employee purchase of phones starting next year. I'm on Verizon. Looking for recommendations from those that have switched, or are contemplating a switch soon. I've primarily been looking at the Turbo, LG G3, and One M8. I've been on HTC devices, so am comfortable/familiar with Sense, and currently running a One based ROM on my DNA. I'm also fond of the wireless charging options, but don't know if a lack of it is enough to rule a particular phone out. Being able to root is a plus. Also leaning to a replaceable battery being a plus as well. Wife recently picked up a Note 4. I'll look at it some more, but that seems almost too big.
Is anyone aware of any new devices due out this month? If not, what is your favorite option today and why?
Thanks!
The Droid Turbo has become the most amazing phone I have ever owned. The battery is incredible. Motorola's built-in apps are just as good as everyone says. I was saying for a while that I would stay tentative and give the Nexus 6 a look when it came out, but nope, not gonna bother. The Turbo is all I'll need (and I have to say, everything the DNA never was).

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Here's my reply to a similar question on another thread:

Let me try...assuming by Droid 6 you meant the Nexus 6, it IS a big phone. And assuming by the Droid X you meant the Moto X, it is a very fine phone, one of the best available but yes, it's been said to have a substandard camera and average at best battery life. Other than the Moto X, the Droid Turbo is the closest you are going to get to the DNA...only a tiny bit larger (about 0.1" wider and taller) and a bit heavier. It's probably the closest thing there is to a spiritual successor to the DNA; it carries the Droid name and a similar industrial design, it is one of the first phones with a Quad HD (1440p) screen, similar to how the DNA was the first phone sold in the US with a 1080p screen, and it has wireless charging like the DNA. I loved my DNA but it was hampered by only 16GB of on-board memory with no SD card slot (I've still never forgiven Verizon for deliberately emasculating the Butterfly when they turned it into the DNA) whereas the Turbo starts at 32GB and goes up to 64. It's camera is supposed to be a bit better than that of the Moto X also. You'll miss Sense but people seem to be in love with Moto's touchless controls. In addition, with a monster 3,900mah battery it will never be accused of short battery life!

I went from the DNA to the M7 and recently pulled the trigger on the 64gb Turbo and I love it. There are a few Sense things I miss but the battery life on this thing has been astounding, it's smooth and fast, the 64gb is liberating, and I've come to really appreciate Moto's small suite of enhancements to what is otherwise a very clean version of Android. Finally, I didn't realize how much I missed my DNA's wireless charging with my One until I got it back. To me the Turbo represents freedom: from worrying about battery life, from worrying about storage limitations, from fiddling with charging cords.

Posted via the Turbo

Hanko

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I ended up taking advantage of a free Turbo. On Sale for 99, with another 2 years, traded in my DNA and got 100 for the trade in. The DNA treated me great for 2 years, but this Turbo is quite a machine. I wasn't a fan of the old Motorola hardware, but Google sure did send them off to Lenovo with a bang!

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I went with the Turbo also. So far so good, but it is kinda heavy.

I wish I would have known about the $100 price cut at the end of the year. I ended up paying $150, $250 for 64 GB BN - $100 for an old iphone trade in.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I went with the Turbo also. So far so good, but it is kinda heavy.

I wish I would have known about the $100 price cut at the end of the year. I ended up paying $150, $250 for 64 GB BN - $100 for an old iphone trade in.

Perspective... not heavy, solid!

I paid full price for mine to keep my UDP, but just scored one for my wife this last weekend for $99 with no trade-in. HD voice between Turbos is astounding!

Posted via the Turbo

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Gave up my DNA for the G3. It's everything I liked about the DNA and fixed what I didn't like. Couldn't be happier.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

chmnh

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Just upgraded to the LG G3, $1.00 at Best Buy with an additional $100.00 Best Buy gift card rebate. Love getting paid to get a new phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Wide had LG3 and camera is better than my Turbo. Both have Lollipop now. Turbo was upgraded to LP last week and had been the best and least
buggy upgrade I have ever done in 5 years or more on any phone. I also have an old DNA and old Samsung GS3.
IMHO, the LG3 is better than LG4. The newer LG doesn't have much of a plus to waste extra $.
Turbo most similar to DNA with incredibly battery life and if you use a Qualcomm certified Quick Charger 2.0 charger the battery gets charged within 3 hours from 20% to full.
PM if you want more comparisons.

I recommend getting the 64GB if at all possible or get 32GB if want to save $

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret