My Droid DNA shuts off during game, still has battery when turned back on. What could be causing this?

Zach Bas

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Droid DNA shuts off during game, still has battery when turned back on

Hello and thanks for any assistance in advance!

The Problem: When I go into work I leave my phone in a lockbox outside my desk area for security reasons. I turn data off to preserve data. Throughout the day I will go out and check my phone for updates, turning the data back on. Through this method I will usually stay at a high percentage of battery (or so I think). However, if I decide to check on some games of mine, like Boom Beach or Clash of Clans, occasionally the device will shut off instantly. Today I caught a "Android System" message right before it went black. When I turn the phone back on, I will have a random amount of battery left (sometimes a drop of 30%, sometimes 60%, and sometimes more). Sometimes I will be able to play these games without the shutdown, but I haven't tested that lately.

Additional Info:
I have had my HTC Droid DNA for a little more than a year and a half. The battery life has declined, but still usually gets me through a day if I don't use it a lot (as is often the case during the work week). I almost always charge the phone overnight, which I have heard could be a problem. If I try playing games while the phone is charging, it gets hot and the charging light blinks, which I assume happens because the phone is too hot. I have GSAM Battery Monitor installed, but it hasn't been a help since the data resets with a phone restart. I have stock ROM.

Once again, thank you very much for any help rendered. I am considering buying and replacing my battery, but I would only do this as a last resort to save my phone. Any questions about my question (lol) will be answered quickly.

Zach

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Droid DNA shuts off during game, still has battery when turned back on

Welcome to Android Central! If you don't play those games, does the battery seem to behave normally?

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I'm in the same boat in regards to the phone randomly shutting off. It is super frustrating. I can handle a degraded battery life but it the random shut offs turn me from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde... I hate the fact that I can't trust my phone when I'm out and about.

Now that being said. The random shut off has never happened while on a charger. It makes me think that a component of the phone (maybe the battery, maybe the processor) can't handle high levels of processing anymore. I wish there was an answer. Either way, I am anxiously counting the days until the HTC One M9 is released.

Zach Bas

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Sorry for the late response, I apparently need to change my notification settings.

B. Diddy: Thanks for the welcome! It recently happened utilizing a different app, Tinder in this case. However, otherwise it does seem to behave normally.

aallison1882: The phone doesn't shut off when it is on charger, just gets really hot when playing games while charging.

Thanks for the responses, I will respond much quicker in the future.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That kind of behavior makes me suspect a bad battery. It's probably worth trying a new one.