Custom Ringtone/Alarm/Notification limit or audio format issue?

chshrkt

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
So,
I created the folders:

media/audio/alarms
media/audio/notifications
media/audio/ringtones

And placed some fun .wav files of differing lengths in. They worked until I rebooted my phone, then about half of them stopped playing.

I.E. I go into Settings/Sound/Phone Ringtone (or Personalize/Ringtone) and see them in the list, but when I click on them, nothing plays. Again, this is about half of the .wav files that are not playing.
When I select them, for a contact say, it instead plays the default ringtone I have set.

Is there a limit to the number of files that can be in these folders?
Perhaps only the first (or last?) files I copied over are being read?

The same is happening in all three custom audio folders.

<edit>

Digging further as I was typing this post, I noticed that all the sounds that will not play are in either:

Microsoft ADPCM

or

MPEG Layer-3

format. The ones that play just fine are in PCM audio format.

I am going to see if I can convert them to PCM, or perhaps into mp3s... I will let you know what I find.

Last edited:

chshrkt

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Custom Ringtone/Alarm/Notification limit or audio format issu

Welp,
It was definitely the audio format for the .wav files. It needs to be PCM.

However, in my various bits of testing (I used Audacity to convert them to PCM .wav files and mp3s) I realized that the mp3 format, in addition to being (slightly) smaller (because it is a compressed format) does not lose any fidelity when played on a dinky phone speaker.

So, problem solved.
I converted the troublesome sound files to mp3s and it's all good.

If anyone has any issues with sound files, or want to create their own ringtones/notification sounds, I highly recommend Audacity for all your audio editing needs. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan