NEON technology support Skype

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA11019/How-do-I-make-video-calls-with-Skype-for-Android

"What do I need to start video calling with Skype for Android?

To make video calls, you will need a supported phone that’s running Android 2.3 OS or above and the latest version of Skype for Android, with a front facing camera and chipset with NEON technology support."

***************************************************************************************

So the above is from the Skype support page for Android.

Does anyone know what NEON is?

I couldn't find any references on the forum and a Google search was not helpful.

Last edited:

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
key things here are "supported phone" and in the verbage it says "..for select android phones"

I'm not certain the DInc2 is supported yet.

also, no clue what NEON is or the significance of it.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Sure, I get the whole "supported phone" thing. But what the heck is NEON? I contacted Skype via email. Customer support isn't any help and when I try to get tech support they tell me Skype doesn't provide support for third party apps or hardware . . . huh? I just asked them to tell me what it is?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Sure, I get the whole "supported phone" thing. But what the heck is NEON? I contacted Skype via email. Customer support isn't any help and when I try to get tech support they tell me Skype doesn't provide support for third party apps or hardware . . . huh? I just asked them to tell me what it is?

NEON - ARM

It's a set of instructions for CPU processes. Manufacturers can include them (all do to some extent) and it makes things easier for software to interact with the hardware. The alternative is to optimize software with many different instructions for different cpu architectures.

Reactions: PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Update from HTC:

I understand you would like to know if the Incredible 2 supports NEON technology. I know how nice it is to add extra features on your device and I will certainly assist. I don't have the specific information you have requested as that would be a developer issue rather than a technical support detail. I can advise you that I know Verizon and Skype are working together to bring Skype video chat to the Thunderbolt, which has similar processing capabilities as your Incredible 2.

Saiyajin

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Netflix from appcat works on Inc2 now and for Skype(with video) Skype 2.0 video chat crack? - xda-developers

This link takes you to an XDA page, which points you to another page containing a link for a hacked version of Skype 2.0.0.47. The version number is the same in the market, but this one has been updated, and I've used it dependably for video calls on 3G on my non rooted Inc 2, with the VZW 2.3.3 update.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12