Thinking of an Incredible 2

HarryStamper

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I am currently a BB user (9650). I am thinking of getting an Increfible 2 which VZW is selling for 199 less 50 rebate plus I have a 50 credit making it 100 bux. For 100 its a good deal.
What are the issues with this phone, and from what I can tell the new 4G phines, Bionic etc. justeat up way too much battery. Will the Incredible 2 be good in two years. What do you think?

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I love my incredible 2, but I am on WiFi alot so not having 4g doesn't bother me. Battery life for me is excellent on this phone. It perfoms well and has almost no lag.

The Sense interface it uses is ahead of its time imo, but it is not for everyone so try it out first. There are tons of awesome widgets and the skin changer is a great added addition.

The store models may not reflect performance accurately, try a couple different ones out at different locations. Also the keyboard is a little hard to use, but the beauty of android is that there tons of alternate free apps for a lot of things like keyboards.

So to sum it all up...great interface, solid battery and performance, solid build quality, good camera. Only small gripes...keyboard isn't bad but there better ones out there, htc mail doesn't work well with Yahoo...I use k9 mail instead.

Sent from my Incredible 2

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
I just got one myself. The phone is awesome.

Definitely the best Android battery life I have experienced so far. The form factor is amazing as well. Not having 4G is no biggy to me, unless you will be downloading and uploading large files or living in the web browser might not be a big problem for you either.

Definitely would advise you go check it out at a local store, but I would green light it for purchase, especially at $100.

rmarcus929

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Just picked one up today from a Droid X. Most reliable android phone according to a source at the store (aka least returns). Not the fastest, biggest or most super... I need something more dependable.

cinnamin

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I think it's a great deal. I came from Blackberry to android I have a droid 2 global. It was giving me so much problems. Now I have the incredible 2 still getting used to it though.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I think this is the Android on Verizon that people should get if they want a solid, reliable phone that they don't have to think about or worry about. I just posted a question here tonight asking why this forum was kind of low-activity and I think one of the reasons is that unlike some other phones, doesn't really have any big hurdles to overcome, which would necessitate a lot of discussion and idea exchange.

It's perfect in the hand. The weight is perfect, the size is perfect, and the feel is perfect. The weight is so perfect that even a featherlight gel case just barely tips it over the edge so that you know you were right on the sweet spot before that. I'm going to take note of the weight of this phone and use it as the yardstick for all future phone purchases. The Thunderbolt, by comparison was just too heavy. It was way too noticeable in a loose shorts pocket as I walked. Bonk bonk bonk. And even that would have been fine but the Thunderbolt sucked battery like it was going out of style. I don't want to have to think about that. With the Incredible 2, I don't.

The phone's primary known downside is the relatively quiet and tinny speakerphone. That seems to be universal. Some people get a power button that is too far recessed. And currently there are bugs that got pushed on us in the update to Gingerbread. Those will get fixed eventually but they are currently annoying. Among the Gingerbread update bugs, some people lose the ability to use the phone function. They'll lose the ability to access the clock app. They'll lose the ability to access the market. Stuff like that. The answer to all of them is factory reset. I'm currently living with a clock app that has again stopped being accessible. I did a factory reset and fixed it but the problem came back a few weeks later. I could factory reset again but don't feel like it so I just downloaded Alarm Clock Plus so I could have alarm, stopwatch, and timers. As long as your contacts are synced to Google (or otherwise backed up by your method of choice), it's not a terribly big deal to factory reset. But I just have so much stuff in folders and have all my widgets set up and stuff that I don't feel like doing it again. But the point of all that is just to illustrate that the problem is minor enough that I just live with a workaround and don't think about it.

As for whether this phone will still be good in 2 years, we can't know, but I suspect it will be. It depends on what you mean by good though. I think it will still be functional and reliable and plugging away. But it won't be updated to the latest version of Android (absent root) and it won't be anywhere near as fast or capable as the phones coming out at that time. It won't be competitive. But that's true of any phone you buy today. But think about, say, an iPhone that someone might have gotten in summer 2009. It's probably still doing great and is still considered a capable modern smartphone, participating in the current smartphone ecosystem. There are faster processors and better screens and newer features and whatnot, but it still does the job.

Verizon's next generation of 4G phones (or maybe the one after that) will be better at battery use and will be less bulky than the current crop. If I were buying right now, I'd probably still buy this phone instead of one of those, just for battery reasons. I'd be tempted by the Bionic, but from what I've read the battery is still an issue, if not quite as bad as, say, the Thunderbolt's. So I say buy with confidence.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
As others have said this is a very solid and reliable device. There are very few known issues and mine has never failed me. I just picked up a BB Bold 9930 for other reasons and I am leaning going back to my incredible 2.

jack22182

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm completely satisfied with no complaints, and still stock. I might root the phone one day so I can do Nandroid and Titanium backups, but I'm not even in a hurry to do that. I had to go through four Fascinates before I finally realized that things would not get better until I punched out of the Fascinate world and moved on to something new. I believe I'll stick with this phone for a long time.

Lemonheater

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I went from a BlackBerry Tour 9630 to a Droid Incredible (Sorry, not the 2). The jump from the BB to the Incredible was night and day, and ultimately I'm really satisfied. I will say this though: You will miss the keyboard.

As far as the Incredible 2 goes, I think it's a very solid pick. It's reasonably priced, perfect form factor (Not too big, decently sized screen), great battery life, and for me, 3G is plenty fast.

There are a few things to consider before jumping ship to a 4G phone. The first is that although you may be "grandfathered" into unlimited data, I wouldn't be surprised that Verizon would pull something out in the next year that somehow restricts our data usage, even though it is "unlimited". That and throw in the fact that they still haven't figured out battery life on 4G devices kind of makes me hesitant to get one (Or rock the DINC till it dies).

Once you weigh in on what you truly want/need in a phone I think the Incredible 2 is a solid choice.

Regulator

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
This is a great phone for switching over from BB. I came to this phone after having the Tour. As everyone has mentioned above, it does not need much adjustment and the battery life is very good. The keyboards that you can download like swiftkey x make the transition from the keyboard pretty smooth. And since you do not need to make adjustments for it last for most the day, you can slowly learn how to use android before you really start tinkering with root and stuff like that

Blauman

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I came from a POS LG Versa, so my jump was huge. I love the phone, great battery life and is more than fast enough for what I do with it. Plus with all the apps available for these phones that keep coming out you can make your phone feel fresh for years IMO. I change things around all the time on mine just to try stuff out and see what it looks like.

pianomanss87

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I went through 6 black berry's in 2 years. the last 2 were 9650's I now the the DINC2.I got it in June. I have noticed an amazing thing about this phone. It still works. I have had no trouble with this phone. It does every thing i need it to do. I use it to run my business and I am a heavy user. I read how Black Berry is in and I am not supprised. Verizon gave me an early up grade to the DINC2 because of my problems with BB. I am now a very happy guy.

Piano Man

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Work has supplied me with a couple of Blackberries - I hate them and use them only for work. I have an Incredible 2 for everything else and I love it. The Blackberry OS is just plain nasty...

blz2

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
As I said on another thread. My Incredible2 was in my pocket when I was pushed into a friend's pool. I didn't know it was in there. It was completely submerged for 2-3 minutes. After drying it out in a sealed bag of rice for a couple days, it works perfectly. This is also my first Android phone. My girlfriend's first Android was a Thunderbolt. She went thru 5 in 4 months. She told Verizon to send her an Incredible2 (instead of a 6th Thunderbolt). She hasn't looked back since...ZERO problems.

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Its simply a reliable great phone. I'mreally not sure why Verizon doesn't push it more.

The Battery life is great and Sense simply works well. Email, Calendar, Contacts etc are great. Syncing is easy. Downloaded apps tend to work without the problems experienced from other manufacturers.

Also, for some reason, the DINC2 has a tendency to actually get good updates on a frequent basis. (The T-Bolt people seem highly offended by this for some reason.....)

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Its a great phone , i've played with one onces (Incredible S though)
Its a really good phone , pictures & spec sheets don't give it it true feeling & smoothness
I didn't like at first (it looked like a fake DROID Incredible to me) , but when I held it in my hand & played with it, I got really tempted to get one, but it was sooo damn expensive in Saudi Arabia (650USD)

bjn714

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I love the dinc2. In 2009 I had a bb tour 9630 that I went through 7 in 2 weeks. Finally I had enough and when the Droid launched, I got it. Been loving Android ever since. Moving from the Droid to a Droid X and losing the keyboard was not as big of an adjustment as I thought as there are some nice keyboards out there that do really well at compensating for typing on screen. Then I got the dinc2 as a replacement for the X (which I really liked) and I really love this device. It is reliable and I can get 2-3 days out of the battery with moderate usage. If you are looking for an Android phone on Verizon and don't want 4G, this is definitely the way to go.

Also, if you order from letstalk.com, I believe you can get it for $9.99 as long as you are eligible for an upgrade. Just remember when buying from dealers, most have a requirement that you cannot deactivate the phone or transfer it to another line within 6 months or they charge you (since Verizon then pulls their commission). That does not apply to warranty exchanges though, so don't worry about that. I got my Droid X from them for free at the end of last year and had a couple blown speakers and was not charged by them.

kelton

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I had the Dinc2 for three days.

Everything about it was fine except one biggy: reception!

My blackberry 9650 doesn't drop signals anywhere in my town. Where my BB would have 2 bars, my Dinc would have an "X" (no signal at all). Where my BB would have all bars, my Dinc would have 2.

In these forums, every phone suffers a gauntlet of complaints and "issues". I selected the Dinc2 because it appeared to have the fewest issues of all.

That may true. It might be the most stable and trouble free phone of all, but the one biggy... signal... is the most fundamental issue of all. I've seen that others have the same problem. Now, I did use the official extended battery and battery cover, so that may have affected it. I doubt it.

I'm back with my 9650 as I continue to consider the Android or Windows phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49