Can't set alarms/timers after 2.3.4 update

jack22182

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, as it turns out, resistance is futile if you decide you want to defer this update. 2.3.4 force applied itself here yesterday after several "defers".

Now that 2.3.4 is here, I am no longer able to tap the clock widget to access the alarms and timers. Tapping the widget has no effect. I've tried rebooting, removing and replacing the widget, clearing the app data for the Clock and the widget, and even installing a non-HTC third party clock widget. With the third party clock widget, "tap to change widget settings" works, but when I configure it to access the alarm settings upon a tap, nothing happens. I also get a FC when I try to Add Ciity in the HTC clock widget settings.

Is anyone else seeing these issues?

dokital

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue. I tried all sorts of things. The only thing that did the trick was a full on reset. So backup your stuff and get to it (if you really want to use that alarm functionality).

Regulator

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem before the update. I did the factory reset and updated to 2.3.4 and it worked again. Just recently though, the clock stopped working again. I don't feel like doing a factory reset again so I just use Alarm Clock Extreme to wake me up now.

jack22182

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I will report the issue to Verizon. I'm sure that won't have any immediate results, but if they get enough reports, they may correct the issue - I think it is a pretty big oversight that should have been caught in testing of the 2.3.4 update.

Then, I will try Alarm Clock Extreme in the interim. I really don't feel like wiping the phone and starting from scratch - I have a lot of time invested in the setup I have now, and I'm not rooted so I can't do a Nandroid or TItanium backup/restore.

Ugh...

Jack

jack22182

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had the 2.3.4 update since it was first pushed out but this problem just started today. The Clock app (was there even one? I just always used the widget) is gone but the widget still displays time. I just can't click on it.

I need my alarm, though. Anybody have suggestions for ones from the market?

coastalcarolina

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I was able to use a widget app called "Widgetsoid" and create a shortcut to the "Clock" application, which then allows me to set alarms.

I started thinking about a workaround when I realized the clock/alarm shortcuts are no where to be found in the "all apps" drawer after Gingerbread.

Widgetsoid is an awesome app by the way, it allows you to create a widget for just about anything on the phone.

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded Alarm Clock Extreme. Seems to be exactly what I need to solve this problem.

However, it's frustrating that the widget doesn't allow me to click on it anymore because I used it as a desktop clock while I'm at work and have my phone charging. Hopefully this gets fixed soon (won't hold my breath, though).

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how this is any different than it was under 2.3.3. What I mean is this exact flaw was happening to lots of us before 2.3.4. So I don't think it's new with this update, although some people may be experiencing it for the first time. I actually accidentally fixed mine somehow when backing up via Titanium Backup just after I rooted. Random, and seemingly unrelated, but that's when it happened. I know that's not a help to you now given that you're 2.3.4 and won't be able to root until someone cracks it, but it just shows that the fix is in the phone. It's something simple that can just get toggled on and off somehow. I factory reset mine under 2.3.3 to fix it and it was fine for a few weeks. Then for no discernible reason it happened again. Like you, I didn't feel like going through all the setup again, so I just got Alarm Clock Plus as a workaround. Then I fixed accidentally. I'm not doing anymore alarms in it though, because last time it broke, I had alarms set that I couldn't unset.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Its has to be a hole in the sense coding that went into the original gingerbread update. Until HTC gets around to patching said hole or pushing sense 3.0 to the phone it isn't going to be fixed. It seems as though a factory reset cured it for most it is re-occurring for some. The main problem with not fixing it is you are going to continue to lose items. It is the clock shortcut now, next it will be the shortcut to the gallery or one of the other apps. You can work around be recreate shortcuts using anycut or make wigits using wigitsoid. However what we need is to push HTC for a fix be it a patch or an update to Sense 3.0. Or at least that is my personal feeling.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
And for any of you still on 2.3.3 looking to escape this error by getting Sense 3.0, I am using Virtuous Unity 2.3.9, which uses Sense 3.0. I'm loving it. It's beautiful and smooth and at least so far I haven't have the flipclock error. See sticky in the root/rom subforum in this forum for how to root and then there's a link in there somewhere for how to flash a ROM. I think that one's for an earlier version, though, so just google for it. If you've already updated to 2.3.4, you'll need to wait a while for someone to crack it before you can root.

chshrkt

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
This just happened to me two days ago, was working fine after I was forced to 1.3.4 in the middle of the night a couple weeks ago.
But it looks Like HTC may have a PR issue on their hands so I wouldn't hold my breath for this to get addressed anytime soon... :/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan