Wifi Timeout @ 15 Minutes

tiguyac

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
This may be a newb question, but I've looked all over and haven't found an answer..

Over the weekend I was listening to a radio stream and decided to work on some light jobs around the house. I plugged in my headphones and stuck my phone in my pocket and got to work. Shortly thereafter, I was jammin' right along and the music stopped..

I pulled out my phone and saw my wifi was off. I live in an area where there isn't cell service, so it's wifi or nothing (I run in airplane mode most of the time so I don't kill my battery looking for signal I'll never find..)

I flipped it back on and kept going, and within no time it was back off again. I started keeping track, and it takes almost exactly 15 minutes for the wifi to decide there isn't any reason to be connected and to drop service. I've tried 5 different networks, with and without security, and it's consistent all the way around. It only seems to happen, though, when the screen turns off - I set it to stay on all the time and the wifi stays connected, with the obvious caveat that my battery drains like none other.

I'm streaming via tunein radio. My wifi is set to "Never Sleep". Any other thoughts?

tiguyac

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Nope - at least not that I know of.. I read enough horror stories about people having trouble with app killers and stuff to know that I didn't want to do any of that. Never really felt like I had to, actually - once I figured out that I could use wifi with airplane mode to save my battery, it has run really well in regards to battery life..

I feel like I used to be able to stream with the screen off, though.. I've tried all kinds of things to get it to run the way I want, but it just doesn't want to play ball.. Of course, I just lost the world clock/stopwatch/alarm in the past couple days too..

Time to root and try a different ROM?

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
If you lost your clock widget I wonder if a factory reset would fix the WiFi issue along with the clock/widget issue. Although there is the root and different ROM option too.

AliceBToklas

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Agreed on the reset or new ROM.

One more thought, if you switch off the screen with power button does it go off?

What ROM are you running? I just installed Tunein Radio to take a look and it has a sleep timer of some sort. Haven't had time to play with it much but just something you might look at. Good news is I ran into Gov't Mule time on the Radio KAOS.

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I get that too, I'm running CM7 and it only happens when running this MOD. For me it's when I'm downloading a very large app like a game, I walk away form my phone and after a few minutes of the screen timing out the wifi shuts off. Can't figure out why and no one form CM has ever responded.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Wifi settings and then hit the "Menu" button on your phone. Click "Advanced" in the menu that pops up on the bottom of the screen. Then hit "Wi-Fi sleep policy". Some ROM's set it to "When screen turns off" by default, which sounds like what's happening here.

Personally, I say to leave it on "Never" for a cell. Even if you're in an area with cell coverage, as soon as the WiFi turns off, the 3G radio kicks back on, and that uses way more juice than WiFi.

*NOTE* One thing I do strongly recommend, though, if you're going to change this setting: after you set it, hit the "Back" button on your phone and make sure "Network notification" is unchecked. If you leave this on, your phone will "constantly" scan for an open WiFi network anytime you're not connected. And since the WiFi will never sleep, this can have a pretty significant impact on your battery life. You might also want to throw a WiFi On/Off widget on your phone to turn off the WiFi if you're going to be out of range for a while. It won't burn *too* much battery, but it will stay on "listening" for known networks.

dunner87

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I have had this issue as well with Pandora, iHeartRadio, etc., on my OG Droid, and previously thought it was a WiFi issue as well. However, I have since figured out that I can fix the issue by simply locking my streaming app in the memory. So it seems to be more an issue of the app being put into some kind of "sleep mode" after the screen is off for a little while. I always unlock the app when I am done, then, just so it's not being forced to take up precious memory when I'm not using it. Hope that helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol