This is really weird. Yesterday, I opened Messages and saw a reply in a thread that I had apparently entered but not sent. I didn't remember it, but figured I had started typing it, got distracted, and forgot.

Today, I saw the same thing again. This time the reply was "Cool, see you then", which was actually fairly appropriate response to my friend's last message. However, I was pretty sure I didn't enter it. I thought maybe I had accidentally pocket-dialed an autoreply. I erased it and entered my own and sent it. Next however, my friend replied, and when I checked my phone, there was a long reply apparently entered by me but not sent which was clearly spam "Hey, I've been using this app and you'll like it too - try it at whatever.com". WTF? I Googled and asked around, but no luck. Has anyone else even heard of this? Has my phone been hacked?

Droid Incredible 2, running 2.3.4 (HTC chose not update the firmware for this phone, so I'm stuck with it apparently) On Verizon network via Page Plus, chatted with them and they had no clue either.
    03-21-2015 03:59 PM
    That is pretty odd and so is the website. Its possible you are getting junk or spam IM's and it could be done in a way that imitates as you. Could be something you installed through another app, or an app permission using a backdoor.

I would suggest a hard reset and install the apps one at a time, with the most critical apps you must have (google apps) and make sure the apps you download are from the actual app developers and not rip off apps posing as the ones you wanted. Read the app permissions, there could be something in there and I have canceled an install more than once over the permissions they wanted. Like access to my address book for an app that has no business knowing my contacts.
    03-21-2015 04:17 PM
    There are apps that let you make calls or send texts with any callerID you want, so you can be 000-000-0000, or 800-555-1212 or whatever number you like. Someone is evidently sending texts using your phone number.

Just another computer-age scam. We used to see ads for "stuff envelopes at home", now it's "this is a text/email from someone you know".
    03-21-2015 06:31 PM