Unlocking the SIM card

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
A supervisor at VZW told me that VZW would extend the courtesy of unlocking the SIM card on the DInc2 - just as they often do on global-ready BlackBerries. Of course, a promise is one thing while execution is an entirely different matter. We're hoping for the best!

If VZW won't unlock the SIM, though, we're returning the phone and will be unsatisfied customers. :(

Posting this just in case anyone wants to use the lower-priced pre-paid services of local carriers.

teddeli

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Verizon will give you the unlock code if you have been a customer for three months.
( I think its3) I had my BBerry storm unlocked and used it overseas. You should call Customer Service because I have found that the reps in the corporate stores are unaware of this and may tell you it can't be done.

Reactions: TBolt

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Good to know. Various sources have said that the SIM in the DInc2 can't be unlocked, but we are hopeful that this isn't the case.
Thanks.

drt777

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Band locked?

The Motorola Droid2 Global from Verizon is BAND LOCKED to prohibit use of an AT&T or T-mobile sim in the GSM side of the phone.

With the Incredible 2, has Verizon put similar restrictions on the GSM side of the phone? Although it can be SIM unlocked, is the phone band restricted to prohibit use on AT&T or T-mobile?

Thanks, in advance, for any insights!

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Even if you got it unlocked, why would you want to use it on AT&T or T-Mobile anyway, when you would only be able to use their EDGE network, when the you can get an Inc S and work on 3G?

drt777

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a voice-only prepay tmobile sim. It's convenient to be able to access 2 separate lines on a single phone.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I have no idea if the DInc2 can be used on T-Mobile or AT&T after being unlocked; although, I heard a blogger - probably Android Central on Phil's Inc2 video review - say the DInc2 could NOT be used on those networks.

I did, however, get the SIM unlocked last night for use in South America.

emscan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
VZW is no help

I called a local VZW store and 611 tech support and neither had a clue about unlocking the SIM. I want to unlock for a trip to Europe. TBolt: Who did you talk to? I need to talk to someone at VZW who a) knows what to do and b) has the authority to do it. Thanks.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I called a local VZW store and 611 tech support and neither had a clue about unlocking the SIM. I want to unlock for a trip to Europe. TBolt: Who did you talk to? I need to talk to someone at VZW who a) knows what to do and b) has the authority to do it. Thanks.

Front-line reps in any department always act like they are clueless about unlocking SIMs.

Before the phone was even released, I just called regular customer service via a VZW mobile phone (*611). I explained - truthfully in our case - that the user would be out of the country for an extended period of time, and that there was no way I could afford $300/month at VZW's international rates. I then asked to speak to a supervisor (nicely!), and that supervisor put a note on my account telling Tech Support to unlock the SIM once we have the phone.

After getting the phone, I called tech support. They helped me find the SIM number in the phone's settings; then, they 'unlocked' the SIM.

--

Tech says that the SIM is definitely unlocked. What the tech also did was switch the Inc2 account to a "global pay-as-you-go" plan. The tech wouldn't confirm this, but I assume the local carrier will just pop in their own SIM card. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

emscan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I assume the local carrier will just pop in their own SIM card. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

That's what I want to do -- use a local phone company SIM in the country I'm visiting. If I can't do that, The Incredible isn't so incredible.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
That's what I want to do -- use a local phone company SIM in the country I'm visiting. If I can't do that, The Incredible isn't so incredible.

I agree! I told them that, if we could not unlock the SIM & use local carriers abroad, I'd return the phone.

Since they unlocked it, I may buy another Inc2 after the price drops just to have it as a spare global phone. We may never see another keyboard-free, global Droid once the Inc2 expires.

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
After getting the phone, I called tech support. They helped me find the SIM number in the phone's settings; then, they 'unlocked' the SIM.

--

Tech says that the SIM is definitely unlocked. What the tech also did was switch the Inc2 account to a "global pay-as-you-go" plan. The tech wouldn't confirm this, but I assume the local carrier will just pop in their own SIM card. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

I am not sure how it is done on HTC phones, or on Android for that matter. But when I have unlocked BlackBerrys, I have done four of them now personally, I always had to physically input a code, that I got from a VZW rep or paid service, into the device. Never had it done by someone "remotely"

Beside finding the SIM number, was there anything else you did to the phone?

Reactions: TBolt

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure how it is done on HTC phones, or on Android for that matter. But when I have unlocked BlackBerrys, I have done four of them now personally, I always had to physically input a code, that I got from a VZW rep or paid service, into the device. Never had it done by someone "remotely"

Beside finding the SIM number, was there anything else you did to the phone?

Thank you for the input, LowFire. If we run into any problems, I'll keep this info in mind.

No, I just had to get the SIM # from the phone.

I don't have the phone here, but it went something like this:
phone keypad > ##778 (it may be ##7788 on the Inc2) > password: 000000 > "edit mode" option.
in there, the "SIM" is listed with a long number.

Last edited:

teddeli

May 3, 2010
Visit site

Try calling again It is even a menu option I believe under tech support. I called 611 last night and the rep had no idea of what I was talking about. I called before I bought the phone and the rep pulled up a screen and checked my account read the criteria to me and informed me I met all the requirements for unlocking

Often with Customer service it requires 2 or 3 calls before you get an accurate answer.

junknstuff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
i just got off the call with vzw customer service for a different reason and also asked about unlocking my sim since i'll be traveling at the end of may. the rep happily unlocked my phone for me after i provided her with my SIM ID from the exterior of the box (i'm sure it could have been acquired in a different manner, but this was the fastest :)

all in all, nothing had to be done on my end. she confirmed it was all completed remotely.

on a side note, she did tell me to press *228, option 2 before i left the country. i did a google on this and apparently it updates your Preferred Roaming List. after some reading, i found that it would be useful in determining your local radio towers, so i went ahead and did it.

my results: speedtest.net android app was resulting in 560kbps down/557kbps up and was connecting me allll the way across the country (i'm in CA) to a server in NY!! after dialing *228, option2, i now connect to a local server (within 40miles) and my download speeds have improved DRAMATICALLY: 15000kbps down/700kbps up

original thread: *228 and the verizon network - snail to cheetah in 3min! - Android Forums

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
@ teddeli - do you remember what any of those criteria were? i didn't realize there was criteria to meet; although, i'm glad i did, apparently.

@ junknstuff, thanks for *228 tip. I think I need to do that.

junknstuff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if there has ever been an official requirements list but I recall that you need to be a customer for a min of 3 months and your acct must be in good standing

teddeli

May 3, 2010
Visit site
@ teddeli - do you remember what any of those criteria were? i didn't realize there was criteria to meet; although, i'm glad i did, apparently.

@ junknstuff, thanks for *228 tip. I think I need to do that.

I believe you had to be a good paying customer for at least 3 months. You cant have had another phone unlocked in the past year. I asked about unlocking 2 phones with different numbers on my family share plan and was told I could. I can't remember any others but if you met the first two they were not difficult to meet.

After reading this thread I noticed that people are talking about unlocking the sim. I may be wrong but I believe that is different from unlocking the phone. One of the menu or sub menu prompts is "do you want to unlock your phone." I believe it is under tech support. Last year I unlocked my BBerry Storm through Verizon and not a paid unlocking company. I was emailed the unlock code phone and instructions. In the Crackberry forum posters said that the rep might even walk you through the process over the phone.

Hope this helps

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2